Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Winter clothing
#2384 02/20/10 03:28 PM
J
James Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Time to move from synthetics to merino. Have some questions comparing capilene shirts/leggings to Icebreaker.

1. Cap 2, Cap 3, Cap 4 is Icebreaker 200, 260, 320? What about Icebreaker 150?

2. When layering, which Icebreaker number would be good for which temperature range? And which number on top of which?

3. Would the bottom layer be the short sleeve shirt or long? And would the layer above that be something like their tech top?

4. Which leggings are a good number? Are they even necessary above a certain temperature?

Last question is about pants. I want to upgrade those too. I noticed a Small/Regular in a Mammut (for example) is 33" waist and 33" inseam. The Short/Regular is 33" waist and 30" inseam. What if someone is between those two? Anyone have a good recommendation? Go for the longer pants? Or shorter?

Thanks in advance!

James

Re: Winter clothing
James #2387 02/21/10 12:27 AM
S
S
Lot of questions James, but I'll try to answer several...

If the long-sleeve shirt is a Tee, I always put it on before the short-sleeve. Otherwise, the short sleeves are a pain to untwist.

As for the pants, I'd be in between, too. Buy the longer ones, and either just wear them, or have an alterations service cut and hem the legs.

By the way, who offers the Cap 2, Cap 3 and Icebreaker things?

Steve C #2393 02/21/10 10:38 AM
J
James Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Patagonia capilene 2, 3, 4 shirts and leggings are sold at a lot of places, including REI, A-16, etc. They are warm but almost too warm. They wic moisture but many have told me to switch to the merino wool products made by Icebreaker (also sold at the above places and online).

I'm just curious how the Icebreaker numbering system compares to the capilene numbers since I've used Patagonia but not merino wool products.

And the second question would be the layering system. The long sleeve would go on first. Curious which number would be the bottom most layer. Sounds like the 260 is the cold weather number.

As for the pants, thanks, I agree the longer would likely be better especially when where big boots and crampons.

Thanks.

James #2401 02/22/10 08:23 AM
Originally Posted By: James
Time to move from synthetics to merino.

Am curious as to why you think it's time to move?

KevinR #2403 02/22/10 11:49 AM
J
James Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Good question. When I've used cap shirts they've been warm and comfortable while not moving much. But while moving I've been a bit warm in them. I could have gone down to a cap2 and considered that. But others using merino (Icebreaker) in particular have touted the quality highly. They've said it layers better, wics moisture well, etc.

Maybe there are arguments for and against each material. For me, I'm going off of several people that like the Icebreaker products.

James #2404 02/22/10 12:45 PM
Thanks for clarifying that, James.

In my case, I have so many different polypro shirts that they'd probably last me several life times! I have them in different weights (and weaves too - that changes their warmth) so I can pull something out that will be appropriate for nearly any hike/trip I can think of.

Personally - I don't think one is better than the other. Polypro met an unmet need when wool as a base layer wasn't an option for most, and now does it well and at a fraction of the cost of merino wool. It also takes lots of experience to learn how to hike/climb using the least amount of clothing necessary to keep you warm enough (and the operative word is "enough") so that you don't build up sweat which will quickly chill when you stop. Some days it seems you can spend as much time layering/de-laying as you do hiking.

Good luck with your search for a laying system which works for you and one you have faith in.

Link Copied to Clipboard