Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Walk-in campground availability question
#24220 05/22/12 12:23 PM
OP Offline
Hello,
A friend of mine are day hiking Whitney Friday August 10 and would like to camp at the Portal Trailhead campground Thursday night. I understand that there are only 10 walk-in campsites. The WP Family Campground is completely reserved.

We could reserve at Onion Valley/Grays Meadow 13 miles away, or we could try the walk-in sites at Horseshoe Meadow 14 miles away (distances approx).

We'd rather camp close enough to not have to drive to the trailhead.

My questions:
How likely are we to get a walk-in campsite at the WP Trailhead if we're not there at the crack of dawn on Thursday to grab one?

Do people commonly just camp anywhere in Inyo NF or sleep in their car? (I don't want to do this if not legal/commonly done.)

Thanks,
G

Re: Walk-in campground availability question
Gelsomina #24222 05/22/12 12:33 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
It has generally been easy to get a walk-in campsite, but this year will be even easier, as they have added something like 10 more sites. People certainly do not get these campsites at the crack of dawn.

Also, people routinely sleep in their cars.

Gelsomina #24228 05/22/12 02:15 PM
J
J
Hi, if WP Family Campground is booked, remember you still have the chance to get a site with a few "first come first served" spots. I don't know how many sites are available in this mode, but I was lucky last year at the end of July.
If you are planning to sleep in your car, you must park near a Bear Proof Box to leave all your stuff in there if you don't want a nice bear wake you up at 3:00 am.
I understand Portal Trailhead Campground is limited to 1 night only, is this true? Can I stay 3 consecutive nights in here?

"Las montañas no son estadios donde satisfacer nuestra ambición deportiva, sino catedrales donde practicar nuestra religión."
JorgeP(arg) #24263 05/22/12 10:58 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
The walk-in's are, indeed, limited to only one nite. They are intended for hikers who are about to hike the trail.

Ken #24272 05/23/12 08:09 AM
W
W
The family campground is like the hiking trails of the INF. Only 60% of the campsite are open to reservation, the remainder are open to walk-ins. I think the open the walk-in at noon but check with the campground manager...I've taken advantage of a walk-in from time to time.

The Hiker-in Campground has had about 16 sites for along time, they just were not on level pads with concrete numbered stakes. There are also a few stealth sites within the campground, all of which I have used at various points in time, you have to do a bit of exploring to find them.

All this is based on past history.

Gelsomina #24276 05/23/12 10:21 AM
OP Offline
Turns out Onion/Grays/Horseshoe are ~14 miles away AS THE CROW FLIES, which means 35+ miles driving. Ugh, that means getting up an extra hour early to make our 3am trailhead start.

I'm considering doing this: reserve (i.e., pay $16 for) Onion/Grays campsite as a back-up plan, then hope to snag a walk-in at the WP Trailhead or the WP Family Campground. My hiking partner is a photographer and wants to do some shooting north of the area on Thursday. That probably means getting to the walk-ins much later than noon. We're going to call the ranger to get their opinion of getting a walk-in late in the day August 9th.

Anyone care to take a guess at the likelihood of snagging a walk-in at WPT or WPFC at 4pm on a Thursday August 9th timeframe?

I like that, 3am bear alarm clock... just add food wink You'll be all raring to go at the trailhead with that adrenalin rush

Gelsomina #24279 05/23/12 02:29 PM
S
S
> Anyone care to take a guess at the likelihood of snagging a walk-in at WPT or WPFC at 4pm on a Thursday August 9th timeframe?

Chances are pretty good for the hiker walk-ins. These hiker walk-ins are NOT the reservable camp sites that you drive to and park. They are right by the main hiker parking lot.

I've ever seen anyone say those spots were all full. Since you are getting up early to hike, they're the best, especially if you camp light -- NO tent, just a pad and sleeping bag. Makes pickup before leaving quick and easy, since your car is already parked in the hiker parking area.

Steve C #24288 05/23/12 08:23 PM
W
W
Steve,

I've seen them full a few times but I've always gotten one of the stealth sites when that happens.

I use WP a few times a year on my way to points north...usually on a Thursday but sometimes a Friday night.

I've never had to sleep in the car.

Link Copied to Clipboard