Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Video Editing
#24353 05/25/12 11:02 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I was just watching "Panorama Trail and Half Dome Hikes, May 2012" a Vimeo video by Brent M. (By the way, I'll be hiking Half Dome in September and plan on also hiking the Panorama Trail. I have time for another day hike - any suggestions?) I like the use of pans on Brent's still images but have been unable to figure out how to do that with my Adobe Premiere Elements 9. I did figure out how to zoom in or out by changing the property values of different keyframes. And I discovered various "presets" in the editing effects. But when I tried the preset pans they just seemed to slide my still image across the viewing area showing black bars on both sides. Can anyone educate this stupid film editor?

Re: Video Editing
RenoFrank #24356 05/26/12 08:53 AM
Hey Reno Frank,

The photos need to be "stitched" together into one picture first. There's special software for that and some cameras have a setting to do it automatically. The photos should have the same exposure, focal length, etc. and merging them isn't as easy as it would seem without the special software or camera option. Even with the software its hard to eliminate all overlaps or offsets. Use a tripod and practice if you want perfection.

I've been doing panoramas for many years. I like converting them to 360-deg virtual reality where you can move around and zoom in and out as if you're there.

Here's a really cool website dedicated to virtual reality in the wilderness that everyone will enjoy. He's done the JMT and Mt Whitney is on there. VERY professional quality.

Virtual Parks by Erik Goetze

RenoFrank #24359 05/26/12 10:54 AM
you probably need the full blown Premiere for dynamic camera moves, possibly even After Effects. What you are looking for is called a "Ken Burns Pan" and is usually done by importing images much larger than the video canvas (I think 4096x4096 is the limit in Premiere CS 4, which is my current version. Once you have that, you need to keyframe a custom motion path/pan. Lots of tuorials out there if you google Ken Burns Pan and your software

This article may be all you need to see if your software can do it:

http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/steve/steve_tips_01-06.htm

after that, just google for some tutorial how to do it in the full Premiere application to see if you are missing out on something.

You certainly don't hav to stitch anything if your master is a 12mp or larger image. I have to downsize my master images for Premiere.

Fishmonger #24389 05/27/12 06:46 PM
Sorry Frank, I assumed you were trying to pan a panorama of the Panorama trail. If you're just trying to pan a single image then that shouldn't be too difficult. Every slideshow software out there has "Ken Burns" effects built in these days. Video editing software is not specialized for slideshows but most of the new versions are able to pull this off.

"But when I tried the preset pans they just seemed to slide my still image across the viewing area showing black bars on both sides. "

Actually, it appears your presets in Premiere Elements are working, but the defaults might be off. It seems that you might need to customize the motion path start/stop points and perhaps zoom in on the photo. I use PowerDirector and VideoStudio so I can't really help with the details of Premiere Elements or full version. Fishmonger's advice seems good to me.

Last edited by SierraNevada; 05/27/12 06:55 PM.
Fishmonger #24462 05/29/12 07:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger
You certainly don't hav to stitch anything if your master is a 12mp or larger image. I have to downsize my master images for Premiere.

This could be another possibility to check, if his photo resolution doesn't fill up the entire output screen, perhaps that's causing the black banding on each side?

Sorry I wasn't more help with Premiere, I don't use it and I approach this with a different workflow. I use ProShow slideshow software to take advantage of all the latest special effects for photos, and then bring the rendered clip(s) into PowerDirector to combine with video if I'm adding it. Sometimes I just bring the video clips into ProShow to finish it up if the video editing is simple. Either way, I recommend using slideshow software for photos.

This seems like a good opportunity to share a couple YouTube slideshows with and without video mixed in:

Whitney Day Hike with my Daughter

JMT Northern Section 2011

Quick edit to correct the software name.

SierraNevada #24463 05/29/12 08:53 AM
Originally Posted By: SierraNevada
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger

This could be another possibility to check, if his photo resolution doesn't fill up the entire output screen, perhaps that's causing the black banding on each side?

The default keyframe motion control samples I recall looking at start with the pan outside the canvas, which is usually the blank, blank background. Moving the start frame onto the image to be panned across fixes that. Also, when you import large images into a project, you have to make sure they don't get resized to the video resolution, because then you lose all the image detail you want to zoom into.

RenoFrank #24495 05/30/12 02:25 PM
B
B
Sorry I am late to this discussion. I used IMovie on the ipad which lets you pan just by positioning where you want the "camera" to begin and end or you can just use the built in Ken Burns effects and let it choose where and how to pan.

Brent N

Link Copied to Clipboard