Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Meysan Lake info requested.....
#2477 02/24/10 03:19 PM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Our Boy Scout Troop just scored ALL TEN overnights for Meysan Lake June 12th. The whole troop will dayhike up and 10 folks will overnight there - for some it will be their 1st backpacking overnight.

Last year we were at LPL around the 19th or 20th of June and the weather was incredible. If this year is anything like last year (is it looking that way, I haven't beenpaying attention) what are the chances we can get by without tents? It will be a week earlier and 1000+ feet higher than last year, but since it's only about 15 hours or so that we will be away from the main group, I'm hoping to go as light as possible.

How does this area compare to LPL? How many miles is it round trip? I need to stretch it to 10 miles somehow.

Anything I need to know? Pretty good trail??

Thanks.............................DUG

Re: Meysan Lake info requested.....
DUG #2480 02/24/10 04:09 PM
Weather? Who the heck knows. Last year at that time it was snowing up high and raining below. I got rained out of a trip to Moose Lake that weekend (12th). Start keeping an eye on the patterns developing now. When I looked up the drainage last night, it was snowy but there was a lot of rock showing. It's snowing in B-town and the surroundings today, so I would guess pretty different now.

I think it's 5 miles from the TH to Meysan Lake, which is the end of the trail at the base of the cirque heading up to LeConte, Mallory, and Irvine to the south and west, and Lone Pine Peak to the east. Amazing place, really. There is good camping at Grass Lake, which I think is about a mile below Meysan. Should be well-sheltered from any wind, still at tree line, good water source, etc.

It's a steep climb, a bit steeper than the MT if you ask me, but it's well switchered-out. In fact, on the way out, the switchers seem to run on forever... But if you just take it slow with the packs I don't see why the boys couldn't make it. Trail is well-developed and marked, but if there is still snow, there can be some tricky crossings on the gulleys.

Enjoy!

-L cool

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
DUG #2499 02/25/10 01:33 AM
Originally Posted By: DUG
what are the chances we can get by without tents?

DUG,
I wouldn't dream of taking a group of scouts on an overnighter without enough tent space for everyone. It will rain if you don't have tents.

Last edited by Mike Condron; 02/25/10 01:33 AM.

Mike
Mike Condron #2502 02/25/10 05:59 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Mike Condron
Originally Posted By: DUG
what are the chances we can get by without tents?

DUG,
I wouldn't dream of taking a group of scouts on an overnighter without enough tent space for everyone. It will rain if you don't have tents.

I'll start renting our services out to drought striken areas then. It isn't rain that concerns me, it's the temps at that elevation in mid June. Three boys in a small tent are warmer than one alone in his small bivy. In Scouts the boys get to do all sorts of fun stuff becasue we allow them to dream...............................................DUG

DUG #2503 02/25/10 07:40 AM
Rod Offline
I always suspected your were a little crazy DUG. Taking a whole troop? WOW and I am afraid of the Mountaineers Route.Sheeze you blaze the way for adventure and danger dude...lol

Rod #2504 02/25/10 07:43 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Rod
I always suspected your were a little crazy DUG. Taking a whole troop? WOW and I am afraid of the Mountaineers Route.Sheeze you blaze the way for adventure and danger dude...lol

Taking the whole troop to Meysan Lake on a day hike. Ten of us will spend the night in the area and the others will return to our base camp...............................DUG

DUG #2507 02/25/10 08:25 AM
W
W
Just one word...mosquitoes.

We stayed at Grass Lake a few Septembers ago and I can only imagine how many of those useless things will be there in June.

We did Lone Pine Peak via the very loose Class 2 route, which I would not recommend for a BS troop.

wbtravis #2508 02/25/10 08:26 AM
LPP, no, not up that hellish scree slope.

Candlelight, however... Hmmm... gotta look at the calendar.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
wbtravis #2510 02/25/10 08:43 AM
D
DUG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
Just one word...mosquitoes.

We stayed at Grass Lake a few Septembers ago and I can only imagine how many of those useless things will be there in June.

We did Lone Pine Peak via the very loose Class 2 route, which I would not recommend for a BS troop.

We aren't doing any off trail stuff - YET. Maybe later on, but for now an overnight away from a car is a good start.................................DUG

MooseTracks #2524 02/25/10 06:46 PM
W
W
Laura,

It's not the up that's hell; it's the down.

After getting back to camp, we sat there in awe repeating, I can't believe we did that damn thing.

wbtravis #2525 02/25/10 07:12 PM
I remember first seeing that chute as Steve Larson and I headed for LeConte, and my saying to him, "Good GAWD that looks awful." shocked

See, for me, it's just work on the ascent. The descent is ski heaven! We flew down that after climbing the ENE Gulley last spring. It was great until we hit the slushpile that separated the chute from Grass Lake. I think all four of us disappeared to our waists at one point or another. (Well, for me, I just lived there and plowed onward... wink )

DUG: the scramble up to Candlelight from Grass is not difficult and has a tremendous view of Whitney from the top. Let me know if the troop is interested.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard