Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitney Prep Hike: Mt. Wilson from Chantry Flats
#24905 06/10/12 09:27 PM
G
GandC Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Took off on Wed morning for Chantry Flats and headed up towards Sturtevant Falls. After a quick view of the falls, I backtracked and met back up with the main trail towards Camp Sturtevant, which I had never seen before. Being that it was a Wednesday, I was alone on the trail past the falls. Not a single person until I was on top of Mt. Wilson. Alone as far as people were concerned, anyway. The bugs were ridiculous. I was swarmed if I stopped for more than 10 seconds. Face, arms, legs, all over. Nasty. So I just didn't stop. And that sucked, and made me tired.

It was better at the top of the mountain. There were quite a few people up there with telescopes and what not. I didn't stick around though, I just found the trail down towards Winter Creek and took it. The bugs weren't nearly as bad on that side of the mountain, but they were still there. I took lower Winter Creek through Hoagee's Camp and then back to the car. All in all, it took me about 6 hours to do, and I kept a moving average speed of just about 2.5mph for the day.

It's a pretty hike, but longer than I thought it was going to be. Darn near 16 miles with the detour to see the falls. Lots to see. What it lacks in altitude it makes up for a little bit in distance I guess. The bugs really ruined it for me though. The trail is easy to follow through Sturtevant Camp, but on the Winter Creek side, coming down off of the mountain, there are a ridiculous amount of turns and forks that come up with no clear direction as to where they lead. The trail is well defined throughout and not difficult to find in the least. Just take the bug spray and enjoy.

Pics!

At Sturtevant Falls

Self-explanatory, I'd say...

Almost at the top on the way up.

Almost at the top on the way down.

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
Re: Whitney Prep Hike: Mt. Wilson from Chantry Flats
GandC #24916 06/11/12 08:33 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B
Originally Posted By: GandC

What is this????

#24977 06/11/12 11:17 PM
G
GandC Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted By: Burchey

What is this????

All day I've been attempting to come up with a snappy comeback.

You win this round, Burchey...

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
GandC #24984 06/12/12 08:17 AM
B
Burchey
Unregistered
Burchey
Unregistered
B

All day I've been attempting to come up with a snappy comeback.

You win this round, Burchey...

You could have always gone with

"It's your face"

It's been more than once that a nonsensical comment combining the subject matter with some line about "your face" has propelled me to victory in the debate.

Link Copied to Clipboard