Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Crampons / Micro spikes recommended for late June?
#24331 05/25/12 12:47 PM
H
hulls24 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Have a permit for Whitney trail on June 30th. Was wondering if crampons or micro spikes are typically needed that time of year? I have not been up, so not sure what conditions tend to be like on the "switch backs". From what I have read, seems like most folks just have trekking poles in smaller snow years such as this one, giving conditions can obviously change. I've used crampons / iceaxe on treks before, but never micro spikes, they seem like a lighter option, but not sure if they would be helpful or not on such a trail, or what would be needed. Any feedback appreciated, thanks!

Re: Crampons / Micro spikes recommended for late June?
hulls24 #24335 05/25/12 05:21 PM
J
J
I asked the same question but the more research i do and the more pictures i see of current conditions i think its safe to say that by june 30th you wont need anything. Im going earlier than you and i dont believe ill need anything. Also last week people were seen summiting without any gear.

Last edited by John Prietto; 05/25/12 05:21 PM.

"God has not called us to be successful but he has called us to be faithful"- Mother Teresa
hulls24 #24354 05/26/12 06:29 AM
The last time I was on Whitney in late June was 2008 and you did not need anything. This year is much lower for snow.

hulls24 #24914 06/11/12 08:30 AM
S
S
With the Sierras you could get a snow storm in the next 3 weeks but barring that, you won't need them. We summited June 2, carried them up and never used them and never saw anyone else using any. I posted a trip report over in main trail conditions.

hulls24 #25361 06/23/12 12:24 PM
B
B
We went last June and needed crampons and and an ice axe. We had to go up the chute, switchbacks weren't open. This year I've heard and seen pictures and were not even bringing them.
were hiking the same day. I think we are starting about midnight or 1. I don't like hiking the switchbacks so i would rather do it in the dark, its not scary its just boring. We left last year that early and ended up at the top of the switchbacks at sunrise, that was neat. We'll maybe well see you on the trail. Another tidbit, the first time I went up i loaded up on power bars cliff bars, dried fruit and PB and J. By the time I reached trail crest I hated anything with peanuts or granola, I think it was the altitude changed my taste buds. Now I get a subway sandwich the night before and have them quarter it without tomatoes or anything that might make it soggy. Subway has way more taste than all that other stuff. I hate cliff bars now after the first time. Like I said it's all preference. I heard about the subway trick from a local. Have fun. Take deep breaths regularly when you start I think it helps.

Good luck
Ryan

Have fun be safe, don't forget to look at the scenery,
Ryan

Link Copied to Clipboard