Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Oh my Gosh!!!! A Corn!
#2530 02/25/10 09:29 PM
OP Offline
Okay, now I have to admit it.....I'm old enough to get "corns". My first one....ever. My friends 18 year old son got one, so I'm not too embarrassed.

My questions are: What are some of your remedies for foot problems. Those two things below our knees are pretty much the most important things to keep healthy. I've had blood blisters, nails have come completely off. I've got a nail that is coming off from the back end right now. And of course the corn. Nothing has stopped my hiking so far, but from time to time, those little things are a bit of a pain.

More hiking seems to help as far as calluses and toughening your feet, especially downhill and the pesky "toe jam". But again, what do you do?

Joe

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Re: Oh my Gosh!!!! A Corn!
quillansculpture #2531 02/25/10 09:39 PM
Bee Offline
Q,

Is a "corn" different than a callus? An area of tough skin?

B

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #2532 02/25/10 10:09 PM
Rod Offline
A corn is a dead skin area similar to a callous. Usually not a problem.Try corn pads or shoe wide enough to not rub the area.

quillansculpture #2534 02/26/10 04:23 AM
Toe jam problem has several solutions. (excludes toe jam taken care of by washing)
*Larger boot size
*Lace boot slightly tighter prior to going downhill
*An insertable arch support. This will hold the arch up a bit and will keep the toes from extending forward as much when weight is placed on the foot.

All you wanted to know about:
http://www.epodiatry.com/corns-callus.htm

Mike
quillansculpture #2535 02/26/10 07:14 AM
I think something specific must cause them because I remember when I was 11 or 12 having several but once I managed to get rid of them I did not get one again until a couple years ago, just have to dig out the dead skin and it heals up nicely.

RoguePhotonic #2541 02/26/10 10:28 AM
G
Woodsy Guy
Woodsy Guy
G
For me, corns can be incredibly painful. I'll sometimes get one mid-summer if my shoes are too tight at the toes. I'll put a piece of foam between the toes every day and that helps (not taped or anything -- literally torn out of the great mattresses NPS provides..). The OTC stuff that dissolves them can be even more painful. A podiatrist told me they're ok, but don't know when to stop (between corn tissue and healthy tissue...). He also said if it's persistent and doesn't clear up by other means, that the solution is to grind the bone away where it keeps reforming. Great fun and I've avoided that so far... .

g.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
George #2543 02/26/10 12:58 PM
Not sure how closely corns and bunions are in the podiatrical family, but my wife had a bunion on each foot surgically removed years ago when she was still in her 20s. After going through weeks of excruciating healing on crutches, she swore off high-heels and compressed-toe shoes forever - which is what the surgeon told her had caused them.

QS, I need you healthy and mobile for our Whitney summit this summer - quit hiking in those stiletto heels and the corns might go away! Just sayin' . . . . .

quillansculpture #2544 02/26/10 01:51 PM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
...I'm old enough to get "corns". My first one....ever. My friends 18 year old son got one, so I'm not too embarrassed.

Had corns on my right little toe while serving my beloved country in the USMC. GI boots. Gotta love 'em.

Bothered me well beyond my exodus from active duty. They were a problem. Not anymore. Time heals "some" wounds.

Then just a couple of months ago, my wifey-pooh said I have a bunion on my right toe. She has bunions and just happened to notice mine. I never thought it as a bunion, but it looks like one sticking out there like a sore "thumb"...I mean, metatarsal. Doesn't bother me...yet. Life continues.

Wear wider shoes, corn pads. Good advice from others on this.

Have fun.

Journey well...
Bulldog34 #2545 02/26/10 03:55 PM
OP Offline
It's not the shoes that slow me down.....it's the short skirt on those 18 inch steps on the main trail.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #2548 02/26/10 04:16 PM
Rod Offline
Bulldog bunions are a total different issue. Bunions are a boney growth.I have a large bunion on my left big toe that has never bothered me. Since I have such wide feet I have always worn 3E or 4E width shoes so I never even get a blister on it.Never had a corn so I can't relate. One thing I have always done is wear a proper fitting shoe for every activity from work to play. Shoes have to fit properly and be laced correctly and you can avoid a multitude of feet problems.I am also a big believer in sock liners under smart wool socks for hiking.

quillansculpture #2552 02/26/10 09:17 PM
G
Woodsy Guy
Woodsy Guy
G
quillansculpture:

Hey, I finally checked your site. You have outstanding frogs! I have a weakness for froggies (origami, t-shirt, rubber and one flying, screaming frog). I may order from you soon. Excellent work.

g.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
quillansculpture #2554 02/27/10 08:47 AM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
It's not the shoes that slow me down.....it's the short skirt on those 18 inch steps on the main trail.

Guess you need a skort, huh?

Bulldog34 #2573 02/28/10 12:14 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
I believe I've posted this before, but for anyone who has chronic foot problems "Fixing your Feet", is an outstanding reference. One of the best things he talks about, are the various special ways of lacing, to take stress off a bad foot area. Many foot problems are caused by localized pressure, and this can be reduced, at least to a degree.

Link Copied to Clipboard