[u]Posted by Tony B, 07-25-06[/u]
[color:#3333FF]Does anyone know:

Who are the Ebersbacher Ledges named after? Or are they named after anyone? How did they get their name?

Thanks, Tony B.
[/color]

[u]Posted by Tony B, 07-27-06[/u]
[color:#993399]anyone?
[/color]

[u]Posted by Rightstar, 07-28-06[/u]
[color:#3333FF]That's a very good question. I googled ebersbacher and got alot of German web sites. I don't understand German so it wasn't much help. I then googled ebersbacher ledges history and saw some names. My guess it was named after a mountaineer whose last name was Ebersbacher. Maybe someone here who is a history buff might be able to fill us in.
[/color]

[u]Posted by mono, 07-28-06[/u]
[color:#993399]It might be named after Dale Ebersbacher and Frances Ebersbacher. They were part of a group who first climbed Mt.Nelson in Alberta.

http://www.bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=4894

http://www.rmbooks.com/peakfinder/showpeakbyid.asp?MtnId=612

[/color]

[u]Posted by Bob R, 07-28-06[/u]
[color:#3333FF]Here is what I remember: A German or Austrian fellow named Max(?) Ebersbacher discovered the ledges on a solo trip in the 1950s. He did not climb anything—perhaps wasn't even a climber—just went up to explore, found the ledges and came back down, told someone about them, went back home. The year 1957 sticks in my mind. Before that, the route bushwhacked up the center of the gully. He didn't name the ledges—someone else did later—but he is forever connected to them.

On the trail, below the Ebersbacher Ledges and before crossing the stream to the north side, there used to be a small sign in the bushes. It was on the uphill side, next to a faint old use trail, and asked that people not go that way because of restoration. I have always thought this was the regular route up the North Fork before Ebersbacher came along.

I went through all my Mt. Whitney books but couldn't find any documentation, so cannot guarantee that this is the actual story. Surely there are people out there who do know. Perhaps some older Sierra Club accounts mention it. Doug Thompson may know; if not, it will probably take some digging.

But I think my story is essentially correct.
[/color]

[u]Posted by Tony B, 07-28-06[/u]
[color:#993399]Thanks for the attempts and info:

I googled and msn'd and yahooed - I got references to a Bulgarian Ebersbacher, but not necessarily a mountaineer, and no first name, and no connection with the ledges. Bob R's got the best answer if there is not any written documentation beyond that. Looks like the answer may be true lore as in Doug's title, ... Doug? Add it to your next addition?

Does anyone know if Doug, Secor, Porcela, Burns, or Richins have any specifics in their books.
[/color]

[u]Posted by Bob R, 07-28-06[/u]
[color:#3333FF]Those books do not, nor do Voge, Roper, Smatko, Winnett, Croft & Benti, Hellweg & McDonald, Wheelock & Condon. And Secor's first edition. That cleans me out!
[/color]

[u]Posted by Doug Sr, 07-28-06[/u]
[color:#993399]Hi It took many years to figure out how John Muir traveled up the North Fork and how far he traveled by horseback, now the ledges that is where people go and have at least 100 ways to say the name, I have ask many people where the name came from and have heard many reports , most follow what Bob R reports , I first went up the North Fork in 1968 and knew about the ledges, maybe from the old Roper guide book what was that called Climbing in the High Sierra ,some Sierra Club pub. One source maybe the 100 peaks section of the Southern Sierra or the Old Climbing group from So. Cal called the California Climbers. Thanks Doug
[/color]

Edit: Please see this thread:  [url=http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/25443/Ebersbacher_Name]Ebersbacher Ledges- Origin of Name?[/url]