Next Thread
Print Thread
Aug 8 Whitney Trip Report
#27023 08/16/12 03:50 PM
M
mhaag3 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Third Whitney hike, this time with my 27 year old daughter and some friends, all first timers. I stayed with the slower ones as we headed up the switchbacks and we did not get to the top, Trail Crest, until 1:00pm. At 1:30 with the clouds getting dark we heard the thunder. As we were still near Mt. Muir (peak closest to Trail Crest), I turned the two others around and we got off the top. Still as we headed down the switchbacks, we got hammered by the worst hailstorm I've ever been outdoors for. Small hail, but two inches deep on the switchback trail was not fun. And my daughter found out that her windbreaker was only water resistant, not water proof. With the help of my space blanket, we kept her warm and dry for the rest of the hike.

The faster group made the summit about the same time that the bad weather rolled in, but they got their names in the book.

So, 19 miles was not good enough for my daughter; we are heading back on August 24th to hopefully pick up permits for the 25th or 26th to complete the hike.

This time: leave earlier, and if there are hikers in the group that may slow you down, leave earlier (more). ;-)

See you at the top.

Matt

Re: Aug 8 Whitney Trip Report
mhaag3 #27025 08/16/12 06:09 PM
Some of life's most important lessons are learned on failed missions. Your daughter learned the importance of placing judgement over achievement of the goal. Good thing you started down when you did. Your daughter learned the importance of respecting Mother Nature. Not a force to be trifled with:-) Your daughter learned the importance of good planning, and the value of exercising due diligence when making those plans. Also, cu-do's to you and her for refusing to accept failure. More planning, and better execution will result in success.

Good luck on your second hike.

John

John Sims #27027 08/16/12 07:07 PM
H
H
We were there that day, coming up from WP beginning at at 11 or so to do a one-nighter at TrailCamp, then planned to summit next day (we did). Because of the same storm mentioned here that was going on much higher than us, we hung around Outpost Camp for about 1.5-2 hrs until things improved, and then went on up to TrailCamp. There were a lot of cold, scared people coming down, many who were on the summit ridge and turned around. Mother Nature wins another round.

mhaag3 #27047 08/17/12 05:46 PM
B
B
Hi,

I was very lucky on my first Whitney hike and had beautiful weather just two days before your attempt. I have 10X more respect for you and your daughter for placing safety first and getting down as opposed to reaching the top.

I had "friends of friends" that turned away less than a half mile from the top, probably the same day as your trip. Takes a lot more courage to do the right thing and turn around when it becomes dangerous as opposed to placing yourself at risk by going to the top.

Great job!
/Doug

mhaag3 #27060 08/18/12 05:47 PM
G
G
I will be dayhiking the main trail on August 29th. We're experienced hikers, but are pretty slow. I tried the Mountaineer's Route last year and didn't summit (ran out of time.)

Can I ask you two questions? What time did you leave the Portal for the dayhike? I was thinking of leaving at about 3am (which probably means 3:30 or 3:45am in real life) but I don't know if that's reasonable.

Also, what's the water situation this year? I was only thinking of carrying 2L at a time but we had such a dry year this year! Will we be fine?

(Thanks in advance if you reply! I didn't find recent water updates on the Current Conditions thread.)

geekbruin #27068 08/19/12 11:19 AM
B
B
We went up Aug 6th and the last available water was on the switchbacks before the cables. Meaning you would have to carry enough water for a 8+ mile round trip to/from the summit. I would carry more than the 2L but I would rather error on too much water than too little.

Have a great hike!
Doug

BayAreaDoug #27078 08/19/12 08:29 PM
G
G
Thanks! I'll plan accordingly.

geekbruin #27154 08/22/12 08:47 AM
M
mhaag3 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We left the portals at 5:20. I told everyone that we had to leave at 5:00 but some did not take that seriously. The campground host said we were the LAST group to leave for the day summit attempt.

This time we are LEAVING the portals at 3:30 which will put us at the summit at 11:30. If the weather looks like it might get bad in the afternoon then we'll start earlier.

As far as water goes, it depends on the heat but my recommendataions to the group were (and still are) as follows:
Bring two liters water in you camelbak and one liter (or 24 oz Gatorade). Bing a filter device and refile before you summit - be sure to bring 2 liters up to the top with you. You can refill on the way down as necessary,; there are lots of places to get water (be sure to filter/purify).

I was talking to Doug at the WP store about the moutaineer route. I want to try that next year if I can find a guide to join.

Hope that helps.

Matt

geekbruin #27171 08/22/12 08:38 PM
V
V
[quote=geekbruin]

Also, what's the water situation this year? I was only thinking of carrying 2L at a time but we had such a dry year this year! Will we be fine?

(Thanks in advance if you reply! I didn't find recent water updates on the Current Conditions thread.) [/quote]

I was up on 8/19 and there was still lots of water flowing from the spring above Switchback #23. As noted earlier, that is just over 8 miles round trip without a water source.

Re: Aug 8 Whitney Trip Report - Return Trip 8/25
mhaag3 #27327 08/28/12 04:36 PM
M
mhaag3 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Updated Trip Report for 8/25/12

My daughter and I went to the ranger station Friday at 1:30 and picked up two unused permits for Saturday. We left the portals at 4:06 and made the summit at 1:00. What a beautiful day; just some light clouds so we did not have to hike up the switchbacks in the hot sun. We left at 1:40 and made it back by 8:05. We were a little beat up from trying two hikes so close together but very happy that we made it.

Matt

Link Copied to Clipboard