Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Packing Heat.
Mike Condron #2733 03/04/10 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Mike Condron
Laura,
This is the "Packing Heat" thread and the topic will be debated for a while yet I'm sure. We differ on whether or not it's scab picking.

Mike

Then debate the topic. Both of your positions have been stated, and if there's any question, reviewing the ump-teen pages of rehash on those positions will drive the points home.

For the record, I don't agree with either position. I don't really care if someone carries or not. Even if I'm crapping my pants because I'm scared of the individual, you will NEVER see it. I am more scared of unprepared people in ANY situation, be it using snow gear properly or shooting warning shots into the air (the bullets have to come down SOMETIME).

You admitted to baiting Fuji on the other thread. You're doing the same here. I don't care how old you are (which is also a common question on all 3, yes 3!!!, boards. Baiting an argument is childish.

Move on.

Last edited by MooseTracks; 03/04/10 11:42 AM.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #2734 03/04/10 12:08 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
If you want to open carry where it's legal, go for it. The only logical reason I can think of is you want to draw attention to yourself. Much like these people:

www.peopleofwalmart.com

There are a LOT of things that are perfectly legal that most folks don't do simply out respect for others..............................................DUG

MooseTracks #2739 03/04/10 02:52 PM
Laura,
I'm pretty sure all of my questions to the "carry because I can" people have been confined to why they would carry in Yosemite Valley and why they would carry loaded in a Yosemite car camp campground campsite. I also think that anyone who would carry in these places needs to have their reasons made public so people can see them in the light of day stripped of the NRA rhetoric and extraordinary lame self protection arguments.

For the record, I am now and have been most of my life a multiple firearm owner, I believe carrying concealed should be allowed by most everyone if they choose, but I can't sit by and give the "carry because I can" people a free ride when it comes to being armed in Yosemite in the manner and places I've mentioned.

Last edited by Mike Condron; 03/04/10 03:15 PM. Reason: chose to choose

Mike
wagga #2742 03/04/10 03:11 PM
You analogy's are very comical DUG although i'm not sure I understand the one about the super bright lights, I don't know how candle light rating compare to lumens but I carry a 100 lumen flashlight and would actually like to buy that 300 lumen headlamp =P, whether you shine that massive light in the eyes of those that pass you is a whole different thing lol.

The Ipod one is not the same also, it's based on face value, the reasons why it bothers them and is rude is quite simple, why a gun is bothersome I think we have already shown to be a far more complex matter, one which we cannot resolve between us.

Quote:
And Mike, you are in the "I'm going to pick the scab off this thing and irritate the s**t out of it until someone realizes it's bleeding."

Rofl!

Quote:
the bullets have to come down SOMETIME

If fired up then simple science dictates they cannot harm you, an object can only fall so fast.

Quote:
The only logical reason I can think of is you want to draw attention to yourself

I'm sorry that after all our discussion I have failed to change your mind about those sorts of assumptions.

I'm now noting back to when I said I gave up on debating anything with people on forums because after countless hours you get no where. crazy

Quote:
There are a LOT of things that are perfectly legal that most folks don't do simply out respect for others

Very true but I cannot think of one that holds the same implications that this example does.

Since Mike mentioned the NRA I need to state I do not support the NRA at all, they have been completely taken over by government influences and work more often to help create more gun control laws.

RoguePhotonic #2745 03/04/10 04:06 PM

Mike
RoguePhotonic #2746 03/04/10 04:13 PM
Photo,
Am I reading this correctly?

Quote:
Since Mike mentioned the NRA I need to state I do not support the NRA at all, they have been completely taken over by government influences and work more often to help create more gun control laws.

Mike
Mike Condron #2747 03/04/10 04:28 PM
Photo,

Quote:

On the other hand, I've heard people claim that the Government had been taken over by the NRA. smile

AlanK #2748 03/04/10 04:41 PM
AlanK,
Are you a "Conspiracy Theorist"? You sound like one. smile

Mike
RoguePhotonic #2749 03/04/10 04:58 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic

If fired up then simple science dictates they cannot harm you, an object can only fall so fast.

Are you SERIOUS? Please for the love of GOD tell me you don't SERIOUSLY think that is true. My gawd man..............................................DUG

DUG #2753 03/04/10 05:30 PM
S
S
> I'm sorry that after all our discussion I have failed to change your mind

It's a very rare situation where arguing/debating with someone will result in their changing their mind.

Obviously more learning going on here...

RoguePhotonic #2754 03/04/10 05:48 PM
You analogy's are very comical DUG although i'm not sure I understand the one about the super bright lights, I don't know how candle light rating compare to lumens but I carry a 100 lumen flashlight and would actually like to buy that 300 lumen headlamp =P, whether you shine that massive light in the eyes of those that pass you is a whole different thing lol.

Roque,
This will help make sense of it. Since we don't like the metric system in the US we use stuff like foot candles and lumins.

http://www.theledlight.com/lumens.html

Mike
Steve C #2755 03/04/10 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
> I'm sorry that after all our discussion I have failed to change your mind

It's a very rare situation where arguing/debating with someone will result in their changing their mind.

Obviously more learning going on here...

Doesn't that quote finish with, "but you're still and idiot."?

Mike
Bee #2759 03/04/10 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Bee
Originally Posted By: DUG

Are you SERIOUS? Please for the love of GOD tell me you don't SERIOUSLY think that is true. My gawd man..............................................DUG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

Falling-bullet injuries

People are injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down. The mortality rate among those struck by falling bullets is about 32%, compared with about 2% to 6% normally associated with gunshot wounds.[5] The higher mortality is related to the higher incidence of head wounds from falling bullets.

A study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that 80% of celebratory gunfire-related injuries are to the head, feet, and shoulders.[6] In the U.S. Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, about two people die and about 25 more are injured each year from celebratory gunfire on New Year's Eve, the CDC says.[3] Between the years 1985 and 1992, doctors at the King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, treated some 118 people for random falling-bullet injuries. Thirty-eight of them died.[7] Kuwaitis celebrating in 1991 at the end of the Gulf War by firing weapons into the air caused 20 deaths from falling bullets.[7]

This absolutely flies in the face of intuitive metaphysics. How can an object fall from the sky faster than a feather?

Mike
DUG #2760 03/04/10 06:01 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: DUG

Photo... if DUG's disbelieving utterances don't make you double-check your facts... look to MythBusters... they know everything! (Or you can just google it and find all sorts of interesting information...)

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode50

Originally Posted By: MythBusters
...if a bullet is fired upward at a non-vertical angle (a far more probable possibility), it will maintain its spin and will reach a high enough speed to be lethal on impact. Because of this potentiality, firing a gun into the air is illegal in most states, and even in the states that it is legal, it is not recommended by the police. Also the MythBusters were able to identify two people who had been injured by falling bullets, one of them fatally injured.

Mike Condron #2762 03/04/10 06:18 PM

I was only passing on something I'd heard. smile

My head spins too fast when I hear conspiracy theories, so I don't think I'm qualified to cook them up.

AlanK #2763 03/04/10 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: AlanK

I was only passing on something I'd heard. smile

My head spins too fast when I hear conspiracy theories, so I don't think I'm qualified to cook them up.

Alan,
You are a weakling!

Mike
RoguePhotonic #2765 03/04/10 06:54 PM
D
DUG Offline
D

The Ipod one is not the same also, it's based on face value, the reasons why it bothers them and is rude is quite simple, why a gun is bothersome I think we have already shown to be a far more complex matter, one which we cannot resolve between us.

Glad I bring a little humor - I try not to take some things too seriously. My flashlight analogy is simple - Openly carrying a gun in the backcountry (or car camping spots) is basicly visually offensive. It is certainly legal (usualy) and one's RIGHT to do so, but it makes a lot of people uneasy. The light I picked out for my analogy is rated at 3335 lumes which will make your 300 lume light look like a pen light on a sunny day. It is legal for me to use any light I want to hike the trail and it has been suggested that Just Because I Want To should be good enough reason. Even if it is visually offensive to most and would frighten Stevie Wonder. Same thing for the iPod and speakers. I haven't heard of a law that makes rocking one illegal on the trail.

My analogy, my point, my reason for typing is - I beleive that those who open carry are doing it for attention even though they know it is visually offensive to some and could cause some to be uneasy.

If I were a bad guy in the backcountry I would TARGET someone open carrying. Why? He/she probably has something worth protecting and I can see the damn thing. It's those I can't see and track that I would stay away from. If nothing else while I distract him and my partner hits them over the head with a sierra provided rock, we will score his gun and pack.....................................................DUG

wagga #2766 03/04/10 07:07 PM
In regards to the falling bullets being dangerous I am quite dumb founded that an object so small could fall at fast enough speed with the wind resistance to be dangerous, I based the initial statement off what I thought was a long dispelled myth about throwing coins off high buildings because of the air slowing them down, perhaps if that much is true then its based off the fact that a coin would probably flip through the air creating more drag vs a bullet.

Quote:
Photo,

I don't know how your reading it... crazy

Quote:
On the other hand, I've heard people claim that the Government had been taken over by the NRA

That's a new one for me! shocked

RoguePhotonic #2767 03/04/10 07:14 PM

Quote:
And Mike, you are in the "I'm going to pick the scab off this thing and irritate the s**t out of it until someone realizes it's bleeding."

Rofl!

Quote:
the bullets have to come down SOMETIME

I'm glad I amuse you, but know that my comment to Mike was in no way a defense of your drivel. You make gross assumptions about issues, generalize information for which you have no supportive evidence other than personal experience, and contradict yourself at every turn (knowingly or otherwise). When you first came on the scene, asking about routes and peaks, a number of us, myself included, attempted to offer answers to your questions and suggestions for safe strategy in the mountains. You disregarded the advice, treating those who might, indeed, have a bit more experience than you like those you would meet on the trail while wearing a piece, stating how little you cared about others and, actually, even yourself, discussing being left on high if you perished.

You claimed there were no bears in Horseshoe Meadows because you had never seen one.

You openly discussed, in the presence and after warnings from a veteran and highly respected backcountry ranger, your intentions to place food drops so you could avoid paying resupply fees.

If you want to carry a piece, fine. No one is getting anywhere with you, either, in this discussion. But I simply hope you've been trained in proper use and upkeep, you realize that ANY action you take could have consequences (ie: shooting into the air... why not shoot at the animal's feet if you're feeling threatened???), and that you take good care not to do anything stupid in the backcountry.

From here on out, ignore button (thanks, Bee) engaged.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
DUG #2769 03/04/10 07:19 PM
CaT Offline
This thread is getting a well deserved time out.

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard