Whoa! Thanks for posting that, Harvey.
It occurred on Aug 14, 2012.
From [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19326042]the article[/url]:
[quote][b]US backpacker Joshua White, 36, his brother Colton, 23, and friend Ian Richmond, 26, are recovering after they were all struck by lighting while sharing a tent near Mount Whitney in California.[/b]
...Then out of nowhere came the brightest light we had ever seen and the loudest noise. We were all thrown around the tent and it was all over very quickly.
We had no idea what had happened at first but quickly realised we had all been struck by lightning.
It was extremely painful. Every nerve ending was hurting and I thought I was on fire. I thought I was going to die. We were all hysterical and shouting for each other to help.
I was trying to rip my clothes off while the other two were trying to do the same.
The whole tent was filled with smoke while smoke was also coming out of our mouths.
We were - to pardon the pun - in shock afterwards.
The force was just so strong. It felt as if we had travelled at high speed and slammed into an unmoveable object. The pain was extraordinary.
I had a burn mark on my shoulder which luckily has gone down thanks to a treatment of aloe vera.
I think it was because I was close to the tent poles and my body was slightly touching them. I think the current passed through me and through to the others. There were scorch marks all over the metal poles although luckily the tent managed to stay together.[/quote]
I am sure curious how BBC News scooped this story!