Next Thread
Print Thread
Maya aged 12 summits Mt Whitney
#27413 09/01/12 02:34 PM
P
Phil B Offline OP
OP Offline
P
It was in 2011 that my granddaughter, Maya (then 11), announced that she was going to climb Mount Whitney. So on the 21st August 2012, I found myself back at the Whitney Trail head at 2am in the morning, this time with Maya (now aged twelve) and my son-in-law Giles.

Although Maya has been training for this all year and was capable of hiking 20 plus miles I was still anxious as we set off into the night, it was the first time I had undertaken a trip of this altitude with someone so young. Taking our time we reached Trail Camp at about 6am and stopped for a rest as dawn was breaking. Maya got her first look at the switchbacks that she had read so much about, "Once we reach Trail Crest" she declared "I'm heading straight for the summit", amazed at her determination I tried to install a sense of caution by suggesting "Baby steps only", but to no avail. At about 11am with a grimace on her face and teeth gritted Maya, with her ever watchful Dad Giles in tow strode onto the summit of Mount Whitney. I have to say I had a lump in my throat as I leveled my camera to catch a snap of her summit arrival.

Half an hour later having dispatched endless high fives and pats on the back we signed the summit log and with the clouds closing in started the trek back, arriving at the Trail Head at about 5:30 pm.
The next day after breakfast at the portal store while watching Maya proudly choose her "I climbed Mount Whitney" Tee shirt I reflected on all the support and encouragement we had received not only from this board, but also from strangers on the trail, that is so typical of the Whitney spirit. Thanks to everyone we met who made Maya's trip one she will always remember.

Phil

Pics : http://philbrown.smugmug.com/Other/Maya-...7&k=kndLNLc

Re: Maya aged 12 summits Mt Whitney
Phil B #27416 09/01/12 02:55 PM
S
S
What a great story, Phil. Thanks for joining and posting. Maya has got to be proud of her accomplishment.

I like this picture too: Success can be tiring! smile

Re: Maya aged 12 summits Mt Whitney
Phil B #27420 09/01/12 03:45 PM
Loved your granddaughter's comment in the log book: "I'm 12, and it's the hardest thing ever"

I took my daughter and a family friend to the summit on June 12, and my family friend's comment was: "It's the hardest thing I've ever done". However, your granddaughter has a big head start on my friend. Really, quite an achievement.

Last edited by John Sims; 09/01/12 03:50 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard