Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Missing man sought in Boreal Ridge/Castle Peak area
#2714 03/04/10 12:52 AM
Bee Offline OP
OP Offline
Missing man sought in Boreal Ridge ski area

Published Wednesday, Mar. 03, 2010

Authorities are looking for a 28-year-old Tahoe City man who went missing Tuesday afternoon in the Boreal Ridge ski area after he went snowshoeing and cross-country skiing with a group of friends.

Nevada County Sheriff's officials said in a statement released Wednesday night that Kevin Bradstreet Davis was reported to be lost near Peter Grub hut in the area of Castle Peak on Donner Summit.

He was reportedly with three friends and became separated from them after the party spent the night at the hut and were returning to their vehicles.

Nevada County search and rescue workers launched a search, but the tracks they found and believed to belong to Davis were quickly obscured by the snowfall.

Authorities described Davis as a white man who is 6 feet tall and weighs 180 pounds. He has brown hair and green eyes and was last seen wearing a black jacket, black ski pants, green hat and a green backpack.

Many agencies, including the Truckee Police Department, the El Dorado and Placer County Sheriff's departments, the California Highway Patrol, the Air National Guard, the Tahoe Nordic National Ski Patrol and Cal EMA, are participating in the search. Agencies from as far as San Mateo and Contra Costa counties are also aiding the search.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Nevada County Sheriff's department in Truckee at (530) 582-7842.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/03/03/2581434/missing-man-sought-in-boreal-ridge.html

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Re: Missing man sought in Boreal Ridge/Castle Peak area
Bee #2743 03/04/10 03:38 PM

Mike
Mike Condron #2751 03/04/10 05:15 PM
S
S
If anyone sees a report on his experience it would be interesting to read.

Glad he's ok.

Steve C #2758 03/04/10 05:54 PM
Bob R on the "Other" Whitney board has access to the SAR newsletters and I'm sure he would be willing to share whatever he finds out.

Mike
Mike Condron #2764 03/04/10 06:37 PM
S
S
Beg your pardon, but Bob R is a WHA member!

But SAR info is sometimes not freely published. I am hoping the hiker allows newspapers to print some of his experiences.

Steve C #2770 03/04/10 07:52 PM
G
G
Steve is correct on this. I am a member of the Placer County SAR team, and we were active on this search. What SAR can tell you is that the subject was found. The rest of the information will be up to the subject to disclose. There are many reasons the facts of the search and find are not published for the public. Again, it is up to the subject to tell as much as they want about their experience. I will tell you two things he did right, built a cave and stayed in one spot.

Go Bears #2772 03/04/10 08:01 PM
CaT Offline
May the rest of this year go this well...

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
Go Bears #2773 03/04/10 08:09 PM
Bee Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Go Bears
I will tell you two things he did right, built a cave and stayed in one spot.

Thank you for that little bit of information. I have hiked that area over a 100 times and I had made two guesses as to where he was.....the second guess was the correct one. Here is the Castle Peak ridge that is the dominating landmark from where the Peter Grub hut is (photo was taken "across the street" at Boreal Ridge where I am a Pass holder)

B

Bee #2774 03/04/10 08:11 PM
CaT Offline
Wow!!! What a picture!! Simply beautiful!!

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
CaT #2778 03/04/10 08:23 PM
Bee Offline OP
OP Offline
I love the area; I feel connected to it in a way that no other place seems to fit (yes, even more than Yosemite, because there is no commercial aspect to that side of the street.) The joke being that all Summer and Autumn, I hike and backpack the Castle Peak area, and then I cross the "street" (I-80) and spend all winter and spring at the ski resort (what a life!!)

Pic was taken just hours after a huge storm; I could not even find the road that leads to the jeep trail that leads to Castle Pass (Peter Grubb hut is on the other side of the pass)

B

Steve C #2779 03/04/10 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Beg your pardon, but Bob R is a WHA member!

I didn't know that. One of the few things. smile

Mike
Mike Condron #2781 03/04/10 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Condron
Bob R on the "Other" Whitney board has access to the SAR newsletters and I'm sure he would be willing to share whatever he finds out.

That would be nice, but Bob's made it pretty clear in the past few months that he only intends to post on the boards when he has something to say or an inquiry is directed to his attention. He's not into prowling and posting. It's been a while since I've seen him post here or on WPS. Maybe 3-4 weeks? You out there Bob?

Bee #2790 03/05/10 10:04 AM
CaT Offline
Quote:
The joke being that all Summer and Autumn, I hike and backpack the Castle Peak area, and then I cross the "street" (I-80) and spend all winter and spring at the ski resort (what a life!!)

Yeah, what a life. smile

Bulldog34 #2808 03/05/10 01:48 PM
B
B
Most SAR teams have a newsletter. Of course the writeups are carefully sanitized, because they go to agencies, other teams, donors, the media. But they are not widely distributed. If you know a team that was involved in a particular SAR, you should be able to check their website and read about it--but it usually won't be timely. (CLMRG puts "The Talus Pile" out every three months or so.)

As an aside, most of the mountain rescue teams in California (there are about 20) are gathering this weekend for our annual self-inspection. We call it a "recertification," wherein the host team creates a variety of realistic problems that are assigned to the visiting teams. There is a detailed grading process, so the teams are motivated to perform well. It's a big deal; I understand there will be about 300 people involved this time.

We do this every year, with the topics cycling between rock rescue, snow & ice rescue, and search & tracking. This time it's search and tracking.

-----

Being someone who likes to conserve his posts, I'll take this opportunity to go off-topic and mention a climb of Corkscrew Peak three of us made yesterday. Pictures

A member of our team took a fall on Corkscrew around noon two weeks ago. The fall was short, but limestone is sharp and unforgiving. Her thigh was gashed to the bone, with the flesh flayed to the side. Unbelievably for Death Valley, her 911 call got out. Two rangers reached her around 4:30, and the helo about 7:00. She is doing well, after three hours of surgery, with "only" soft tissue injuries.

Our goal yesterday was to navigate to the site and look around--sort of a practice in a small sense, in addition to the climb.

I think I have mentioned that Corkscrew is my favorite desert peak, and I appended at the end of the pictures a description of routes I have taken. In checking how it looked on Flickr, I zoomed to the largest size and discovered I have misdrawn some details. I'll fix it up when I get back.

-----

Fixed now.

Last edited by Bob R; 04/03/10 06:50 AM. Reason: Fixed up routes on Corkscrew
Bob R #2817 03/05/10 06:15 PM
Bob,
If you pick up any details of the "lost guy at Boreal" it would be nice if there were some you could share. I'm thinking that this story has some great lessons in it. Lots of what not to do's in the first place and then a lot of what to do's after you're in trouble.
Thanks.

Mike
Mike Condron #2819 03/05/10 06:32 PM
G
G
Mike- A couple of not to do's: don't split up from your group, don't leave without a compass and GPS, but most importantly the compass. The do's: (which were done in this case) carry a emergency blanket, build a cave, stay put!, carry extra water and food.

Go Bears #2821 03/05/10 07:58 PM
Bee Offline OP
OP Offline
Something that keeps nagging at me, as a person who goes to new areas all of the time: Look around at the landmarks on your way in, so that you have the most rudimentary sense of what things should look like on the way out (I actually turn around at various points along the way)

Bee #2822 03/05/10 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Bee
Something that keeps nagging at me, as a person who goes to new areas all of the time: Look around at the landmarks on your way in, so that you have the most rudimentary sense of what things should look like on the way out (I actually turn around at various points along the way)

Great advice Bee - especially if the terrain is relatively uniform. I've done a lot of desert canyon hiking over the years in California, Utah and Arizona, and that trick is really important - especially if you're off an established trail and just exploring. I would imagine hiking in heavily snowed and iced terrain would be similar - except building a cairn at junctions isn't an option.

Bee #2830 03/05/10 09:30 PM
H
H
Bee...good advice...part of the reason I hike is so that I can see the things I don't see from my desk, why not remember what I see so that I can use it to possibly help me or reassure myself of where I am if I think I have made a wrong turn.

Mike Condron #2837 03/06/10 01:59 PM
Bee Offline OP
OP Offline
A little more information about what happened....

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/03/05/2584197/missing-skier-safe.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard