Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Six year old to summit with your help...
#27724 09/13/12 12:35 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello fellow hikers and Friends. We are a family of four who have permits Oct 8-10. Dad, Mom and 9 yr old sister have all summitted before, this trip was to let little brother summit a year younger than big sister. This is a huge deal in our house as we are outdoor enthusiasts and hikers. Mom and Dad are both Firefighters and have crazy schedules. Mom just found out that she has a mandatory training the week of our permits. We are looking for anyone who has room for us four between oct 1-6 so Mom can see lil' brother give it a shot. We have a permit for seven oct 8-10 and six spots on that one if you would like to hike then. Dad will hike again to keep the validity of the permit. Thank You to All who take the time to read this. Stay Safe. 661-305-1518 or 661-713-1898. Ask for Joy or Rich

Re: Six year old to summit with your help...
sierra family 4 #27725 09/13/12 01:08 PM
Welcome to the board. Think you will find us family-friendly!

You have been sent a PM (Private Message).

Look under the "My Stuff" menu for "Messages"

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Re: Six year old to summit with your help...
sierra family 4 #27763 09/14/12 05:07 PM
S
S
Welcome, SF4!

Too bad you have the mandatory training. But Oct 8 is awfully late in the season, anyway. Snow often flies by then, making the trail more difficult.

There are plenty of unused / no-show permits this time of year, so you could go ASAP, and use those to hike. Here's the link for the Unused Whitney Permits - 2011

You can get the no-show overnight permits at 11 AM at the Visitor Center to start hiking the same day. If you are there at the 11 AM time when they declare the no-shows, and if there are a lot of people lining up, they hold a drawing to see who gets to the counter first. I fully expect that there would be plenty of permits to go around at that time. (Also, if you stop in about 8:30, as others are picking up their reserved permits, a few become available as they free up some slots because of people dropping out of their group. These can be requested as they become available.)

The unused numbers are what is left AFTER that 11 AM rush, and after anyone asking gets processed throughout the rest of the day. Of course the availability is even better if you are there Sunday through Thursday.

Finally, keep checking the online permit availability. Here's the link:  Mt. Whitney Trail Overnight Permits.  As I write this, there are currently 5 slots available for Sunday, Sept 16.  A few good people will actually release their reserved permits online, especially in the few days before their hike date. (If you see some you want, and if you call the Wilderness Permit number, 760-873-2483  they might be able to actually exchange the permits without your incurring another $15 per hiker charge. I'd call and ask about this though.)

I would definitely try to go this month! And good luck with the 6-year-old. That should be a real highlight for him.

Link Copied to Clipboard