Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: October 10th overnighter
Bulldog34 #28239 10/03/12 09:52 AM
B
B
No, he won't be making it up this time. He's in school. It might be another two years before he makes it up again because next summer looks too booked. The good news though is that next summer we will be going to Havasupai with his scout troop. If you haven't been, you might want to add it to your bucket list for Western state adventures.

Yup, it was a bummer last time that neither of our kids made it all the way up, but they had a great time nonetheless. I was very proud of both of them. How about your daughter. Is a Whitney summit in her future for 2013?

Brent N #28241 10/03/12 11:58 AM
Brent, like you we had to turn around right before the summit last year. Bri and Barb were doing fine with the altitude, but it was getting really late in the day and Ranger Rob suggested we get back across the snow chute before it iced up. I'm sure you remember that chute crossing. I think we ran across you guys not far from the windows, and we didn't really go much further.

It's been eating at both Barb and Bri ever since, but plans fell through this year for our annual trip due to work and family commitments. We're certainly planning on next summer. I'm hoping to get out there sooner - at least for a winter week in Death Valley if nothing else.

Have a great climb!

Bulldog34 #28242 10/03/12 01:20 PM
B
B
I remember. Your daughter was a trooper--strong and energetic even at that altitude. As I recall, you ended up rescuing somebody on the way down, with a bum shoulder no less.

Brent N #28244 10/03/12 04:26 PM
Going up Whitney with a bum shoulder from a climbing accident in Yosemite 2 days before, yes. Performing a rescue, not so much. We assisted a family several times along the trail with a patriarch suffering from bad AMS. His posts thanking us for helping them were a bit over the top. Bri was more interested in all the "cute boys" she met along the trail . . .

Bulldog34 #28273 10/05/12 08:20 AM
W
W
A sage once said to me, inexpensive, durable and lightweight...pick two because you will never get all three. I've pick to and end up with durable gear that is light but not ultralight. I also like comforts on the trail...it is civilized to a glass of wine at night with dinner. This add up to additional weight.

I once went to a seminar with Glen Van Peskie where he was asked about his sleep set up. There were a couple of follow up questions, What do you use for a pillow?...Mr. Van Peskie, answered, my boots. The second question was, How do you sleep? Not very well.

tr0mbley #28293 10/05/12 05:23 PM
T
OP Offline
T
wbtravis, thanks for the info, unfortunately, I am at my spending limit for this trip. Being the first cold (sub 30) trip I have done, I needed to purchase gloves, thermals, pants, socks, etc... So even though I really agree with all of your ideas and theories, I think I am locked in. I'll have to make do with what I have.

Brent N, hope to run into you guys as well. The community of hikers continues to grow and I find myself starting to look forward to the people as much as the sense of accomplishment that goes along with summiting (hopefully).

The forecast is starting to get at me a little... looks like snow is predicted. This is not good. But hell, if I get too cold I will just pull a Bob R and pack some single barrel bourbon to stay toasty.

On a side note, Gary (Bulldog34) and John (catpappy) are meeting me at Kennesaw Mountain this weekend for a hike. I think Gary even said his wife was coming. It's amazing how close this community is! Looking forward to asking some last minute questions before the trip.

Bob

tr0mbley #28295 10/05/12 05:55 PM
S
S
Bob, I've hiked with Bulldog Gary's wife, and I can certify she's more of a Bulldog than he is on the trail! grin

Steve C #28297 10/05/12 07:39 PM
Really? You wanna go there Steve? Truth be told, though, our daughter at age 12 can kick both our butts when she sets her mind to it (and isn't carrying weight). Basketball has really put her in great aerobic shape.

Looking forward to hiking with Bob in the morning. Spoke with him for over an hour a couple of days ago and he seems like a great guy. Asks intelligent questions as well. He's got the fever for western hiking, so expect to see him out there regularly.

tr0mbley #28304 10/06/12 07:01 AM
W
W
Tr0mbley,

One other thing, make sure bring a little extra of this and that. When I go to the Sierra, I bring a gear bin rather than a packed pack. On entry, day I make decisions on what goes up the trail. I know you are limited to what you can bring because of air travel but do the best you can.

tr0mbley #28314 10/06/12 06:01 PM
L
L
tr0mbley,
It was great meeting you today. Good luck on Whitney this week- and welcome to the Atlanta Whitney Family!
Can't wait to hear about your adventures! Remember the summit is optional,the parking lot is mandatory!
Happy Trails!

Steve C #28315 10/06/12 06:03 PM
L
L
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Bob, I've hiked with Bulldog Gary's wife, and I can certify she's more of a Bulldog than he is on the trail! grin

ahhhhh....... thanks Steve!( I think wink )

tr0mbley #28317 10/06/12 09:48 PM
B
B
We are watching the weather closely. Dennis Mattinson, a local weather expert is estimating a 30% chance of snow and says he suspects Whitney will get between 1-3 inches. Any advice from others on the board? Obviously, the snow will be sitting on ice on much of the trail and will not be compacted. I haven't hiked in those conditions. Would you do it? The ice axe doesn't make any sense since there is no compaction, but microspikes or crampons?

Brent N

Brent N #28321 10/06/12 11:40 PM
S
S
With 3 inches of fresh snow, I'd think microspikes would be about right.

As for snow "sitting on ice"... The ice is only from frost that might form in the mornings, but disappears later as temps climb. With a snow storm, it should just be snow on the trail, not like snow over "black ice".

tr0mbley #28336 10/07/12 03:22 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Checking in for some last minute knowledge and research before the flight on Tuesday. I know this trip only materialized a month ago, but it seems like it has been on my mind all summer. I actually reserved a day pass for Jun 12th but plans fell through (wish I had been polite and cancelled but who knew...). So now that it's here, it doesn't seem real. Can't wait.

Had a GREAT hike with Barb, Gary, and John on Saturday morning. Was astonished to learn that Gary and John met on this board as they seemed like old friends. The three of them were hiking dynamos and I thouroughly enjoyed the last minute workout before Whitney. As expected, they knew everyone on Kennesaw Mountain, were exceedingly generous with their gear and supplies, and opened my eyes to a part of northwest Georgia that I didn't even know existed. Thanks guys!

One of the things they keyed on was the family atmosphere that goes along with Whitney and the Sierras. I learned that Bob Rockwell is a Whitney legend and I hope to run into him at Trail Camp. Also looking forward to meeting Brent and his sister along the way; Gary had nothing but nice things to say about your company. Per the Atlanta veterans, I will be looking for a spot near Consolation Lake to camp, near some ledges, hidden from the wind. I also decided to bring a nip of Maker's Mark with me for the summit... it calls for celebration.

Brent, you probably have better intel than I do on the weather, but from what I can tell it only looks like a dusting. I can't control it so I can't worry about it. wbtravis, no worries on packing too much gear. I am bad at saying no, so most of the stuff comes with me and I eliminate the unnecessary the day of the hike - just like you said. Steve, the Hicks can motor! Glad I didn't have to keep up with Bri as she took the opportunity to sleep in.

All in all, I feel like I'm ready. Just hoping the flight, work, and the weather hold up. Whitney or bust!

Bob

tr0mbley #28343 10/07/12 06:38 PM
B
B
You were in extraordinary company. The weather gods also seem to be favoring us. If you look on the left hand side of this page, you will see "Mt Whitney Weather." In that set of links, Dennis Mattinson's Eastern Sierra Forecast is a good place to go. Here is link today: http://www.easternsierraforecast.com/

In it, he says that the system which was threatening snow is stalling and may even be shifting south. It might miss us altogether. Even still, his guess is for a dusting of 1-3 inches. Having said that, no one can predict the weather at 14,000 feet. What is going to happen is going to happen up there and Whitney is famous for delivering surprises.
be prepared and have fun.

Did you get any Diamox?
We are still planning on going. I've got a slight groin pull, but lots of ice and anti-inflamatories and I should be good to go by Wednesday. I'll see you there.

Brent N

Brent N #28344 10/07/12 07:04 PM
Brent, I gave Bob five 250 mg tabs of Diamox yesterday. It felt like a drug deal, going down in a trailhead parking lot! He's also got two sets of micro-spikes from John and I to take along - looks like they might come in handy for he and his partner.

Gotta tell ya, Bob hauled his 42-pound pack with purpose yesterday! He's one determined dude, and I think he'll do just fine if the weather gods don't throw anything too gnarly at Whitney this week. He's very sharp and extremely likable, and we had a great day hiking with him. The western mountain fever that he has reminds me so much of me ten years ago. The guy is hooked for life - I'm certain of it. Once his boys get a little older and he can introduce them to the backcountry, there's no telling what adventures they'll undertake as a family. He's already thinking Patagonia, and I don't mean Patagucci . . . :D

Bob, it was a pleasure meeting you and spending the morning hiking with you! We're all looking forward to hearing about the trip when you get back. Best of luck and remember - don't over-think it: pace, breathe, eat, drink. Repeat till you run out of trail and it's time to crack the Maker's Mark!

Edit: one last thing Bob that hasn't been mentioned. Once you leave Trail Crest for the summit, you'll come to the intersection with the John Muir Trail after a few hundred yards of heading downhill. It bears to your left and drops down into the Sierra backcountry. When you're returning to Trail Crest watch for this junction and be sure to stay straight and head UP. Many people in a state of exhaustion or AMS mistake this junction for the return to the Portal, and wind up in deep doo-doo. The signage is poorly oriented and people just want to continue down at this point. You'll have to climb a couple of hundred feet to get back to Trail Crest. Under normal conditions the trail direction is pretty obvious, but it's worth noting since it seems to happen so often.

Last edited by Bulldog34; 10/07/12 07:24 PM. Reason: Go up to go down.
Bulldog34 #28345 10/07/12 07:18 PM
C
C
Bob, enjoy your trip. Wishing you the best. Hope to see you on Kennesaw again.

John

Bulldog34 #28346 10/07/12 08:14 PM
B
B
I'm looking forward to meeting another of Georgia's finest! (Did I tell you that I lived for 2 years in South Carolina and Georgia many moons ago? I sure miss the boiled peanuts, beaufort stew, grits and okra.)

I'm glad he got some Diamox. You are good people. Wish you were coming.

Brent N

Bob R #28349 10/07/12 09:58 PM
B
B
Something has come up for tomorrow, and a separate issue for Wednesday afternoon. So my three day trip has condensed to one, on Tuesday. I don't have a plan for any summit (maybe Wotans Throne); will hike up the main trail until mid-afternoon, then turn around. Right now, that looks like the worst storm day.

I may go for an overnighter this weekend, but I hope you guys are safely off by then.

Have a nice hike!

Bob R #28360 10/08/12 01:02 PM
B
B
Bob R, what a bummer we won't get to see you. One of these days . . .
Your timing may be much better than ours. The latest report is that it shouldn't start showering or snowing until late Tuesday night and then it should have spent itself by the weekend. We'll see what the weather brings.

Brent N

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard