Print Thread
TR Sept 24-26 Fish and Two 14k's
#28311 10/06/12 05:02 PM
R
RadGnar Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Trip Dates: September 24th - 26th Group Size: 5
The trip started out with a drive from Chino to the Whitney Portal campground on Sunday. We arrived at the campground around 8:30pm after eating some Mexican food in town. A bit overpriced Mexican food I might add. Since it was so dark and being slightly unfamiliar with the area, we pulled into the first loop and quickly found an unreserved spot. We paid our dues, $15 plus $5 for an extra car (I think these were the prices). Set up camp and went to sleep under windy conditions.
Monday morning we woke up and drove down to the Ranger Station at 8am. We found out there was even a lottery system for reserved spots (not first come first served). It was all good as there were only about 6 groups there at the time to pick up their permits. We drove back up to the portal, ate some pancakes and eggs and hopped on the trail by 11am.
Uneventful hike up to Lone Pine Lake. Passed many hikers coming down who looked worn out. After asking the famous questions, "How is it up there?" and getting the same response, "Windy and cold." We began to become a little worried. The forecast was looking grim with lows in the 20's with 36mph gusts. We pushed on and prayed that the wind would hold off. Fished Lone Pine Lake for an hour, caught numerous rainbows and brook (I believe) under sunny and slightly windy conditions.

We pressed on to Trail camp and got there as the sun dipped behind trail crest. We all noticed something delightful, NO WIND! Prayers were answered as we were wind free at our camp for the next two nights. We setup camp, ate dinner, and hit the tent by 8:30pm.

Tuesday was summit day and we woke up at 4:30am to get an early start to the day. Made some oatmeal and coffee and hit the trail by 5:15am. Hiking the switchbacks at sunrise was a pretty surreal experience. We reached trail crest and felt a little wind that was indeed biting cold. Although, nothing bad by any means. We eventually reached the summit by 9:30am where is was absolutely sunny and absolutely cold. I wouldn't have changed the weather at all though, a definitely enjoyable experience.
Summit Photo

Mythical Creatures at the Summit.

The Needles.

Panoramic from Mt. Muir Area.

After about an hour on the summit we began our journey down. Myself and one other member of our party decided to tackle Mt. Muir on the way down. The scramble was what I expected up to Mt.Muir although there was one spot that I felt was a bit hairy. Manageable but scary. We made it to the summit and it was beautiful.
Mt. Muir Scramble

Summit of Muir looking towards Whitney.

Back at camp, we decided to hang out by Consultation lake and try some fishing. It was a bit slow at first, but we began to figure our what the fish liked and the bite was on. Much larger fish here, in the 12-15in range and they loved to fight. Such a memorable experience.
Consultation Lake.

Fishy.

Wednesday, we packed up and headed down.
Zero Gravity.

Camp.

Thank you to all who answered my questions and gave me priceless knowledge. You guys are indeed great help.

Cody

Re: TR Sept 24-26 Fish and Two 14k's
RadGnar #28312 10/06/12 05:03 PM
R
RadGnar Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sorry for the large photos, didn't think they would be so big.

RadGnar #28313 10/06/12 05:43 PM
Nice report. Sounds as if everyone had the time of their lives. Excellent pictures too. Had not heard of the Whitney Creatures wink Good to know they are there.

Tina - A REAL Orange County Housewife (Okay so I don't stay home)
RadGnar #28319 10/06/12 10:34 PM
You guys are a kick....I haven't read your report yet but I got a big kick out of your photos...LOVED THEM MUCHO! Congratulations on your summit .....the mythical creatures are great...very timely for Halloween.

Lynnaroo

Link Copied to Clipboard