Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 114 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
FUN NEW GAME!
#28898 11/02/12 12:35 AM
W
OP Offline
W
What better challenge for the august (even if we're in November) members of this board than to . . . certify "The Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do". (Otherwise known as TTUSDHYMD -- I don't read "What In The World Happened Here" without picking SOMETHING up.)

Rules for the selection:

1. Only Whitney Zone posters may nominate.

2. The nomination must be sufficiently descriptive that a prudent man would not be left with an ambiguous idea of what and where the hike is.

3. A rationale -- however brief -- must be given for it's nomination. In lieu of brevity, nominators may opt to give impassioned and persuasive speech supporting their nominations.

4. A "day hike" shall be defined as placement of one foot in front of the other in a continuing process culminating in a physical presence of the person with the feet in a location either different from the starting location or, if finishing at the starting location, having at least traversed some land beyond the starting/finishing location, with such time having elapsed in the continuing process between starting and finishing location being within a calendar day.

5. No whining allowed.

6. There is no limit on the number of nominations any one poster may make.

7. There is no limit on the number of times any one poster may make nominations, so long as they are new nominations.

8. All nominations will be posted to this "FUN NEW GAME!" thread.

9. The nominating period will commence upon posting of this initial post and end on January 31, 2013.

10. Whitney Fan will keep a record of all nominated day hikes.

11. An alphabetical list of all nominated day hikes will be posted in a new thread following the end of the nominating period.

12. Upon posting of all nominated day hikes, a voting period will extend from time of the posting until midnight, Friday, March 15, 2013. (Midnight between Friday and Saturday.)

13. Only Whitney Zone posters may vote.

14. Only one vote will be allowed for each poster.

15. Up to ten (10) hikes may be included in the one vote by each poster. Your criteria should be, "Which of these nominated hikes do I feel worthy enough to be one of the "TTUSDHYMD"?

16. The votes will be transmitted by PM ("private message") to Whitney Fan. Whitney Fan will tabulate all votes.

17. Tabulation will entail recording the number of votes from all voters for each of the nominated day hikes. That will result in a list of all nominated day hikes ranked in sequential order keyed to the number of votes each hike has received.

18. The results of that tabulation will be posted. The posting will include, of course, the "TTUSDHYMD". The total number of votes for each of those hikes will be revealed. It is envisioned -- although not guaranteed -- that hikes finishing out of the "Top Ten" will also be revealed, along with the number of votes for each.

Who will be the first Whitney Zone participant who can claim he or she has done all of the "TTUSDHYMD"? We will find out -- presuming good voter turnout! -- what those "must do" hikes are as a result of the informed folks here. And if anyone has done them all. Or will it be we find out that more than one person has done them all? I hope this will be a fun diversion over the winter months for us.

Re: FUN NEW GAME!
Whitney Fan #28899 11/02/12 12:40 AM
W
OP Offline
W
I have a number of hikes to nominate. But the honor of first nomination from me, and the honor of being first nominated in the contest goes to, of course, you guessed it:

The Mount Whitney Main Trail, from trailhead to summit and back to trailhead.

Whitney Fan #28900 11/02/12 06:09 AM
Oooh. oooh. Me next.

[b]Haleakala Crater, Maui[/b]. From the Haleakala Visitor Center (NP), descend by the Sliding Sands Trail (see "Pants Pass") 2500 feet into the crater, traverse the crater floor, pick up the Halemau' u trail and climb 1400 feet out to the Halaemauu TH at 8,000 ft elevation. 11-13 miles depending what you read, what side trails you find and the SilverSword loop. 6 mile shuttle back to the start.

Rationale: Passes through all kinds of habitat, where else can you get alpine snow, desert heat, tropical rainforest in one hike. Strenuous (especially if you do it in reverse) but not ridiculous, not overrun with tourons or pricey guided trips, and getting there is half the fun: hello, its Maui.

[img:center]http://www.wilderness.net/images/NWPS/lib/small/1naamanhorn%5B100108%5D.jpg[/img]

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Whitney Fan #28901 11/02/12 07:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Whitney Fan
Rules for the selection:

1. Only Whitney Zone posters may nominate.

2(a). The nomination must be sufficiently descriptive that a prudent man would not be left with an ambiguous idea of what and where the hike is.

2(b). A link to a live topo/satellite map must be provided.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #28902 11/02/12 08:41 AM
C
C
Crow Pass is a one way trip through the Alaskan Chugach Mountains from Girdwood to Eagle River following the historic Iditarod supply route. The route is 21 miles with the 2,100 ft. of elevation gain coming entirely in the first few miles. Perhaps most importantly, there is a significant river crossing of Eagle River about 13 miles into the hike. The river is a glacial river and will be extremely cold---estimated 33 degrees. Depth varies from knees to waist. Most hikers will carry an extra set of shoes for this portion of the trip. Day-Hikers will not have the advantage of crossing the river at the preferable early morning hours before the glacial melt swells the river later in the day. As you would expect, warm days will cause the river crossing to be deeper.

The hike will include traversing small snowy sections of glaciers and moose, caribou, dall sheep, and of course bears are prevalent. Bear spray is almost mandatory on this hike. We took 11 hours to complete the hike. An annual race is held where the winners finish in less than 3 hours. The trailhead is a 40 minute drive from Anchorage and the finishing trailhead is about 30 minutes from Downtown Anchorage.

River Crossing Video
[video]http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/trailcrossing.mp4[/video]

Crow Pass Trail Guide

Finally here is a link to my photo album of the hike and a few pictures:

Crow Pass Album

Anyone remember the scene in Jurassic Park where the group is travelling across a big open meadow with very tall grass and the velociraptors start picking them off one by one? Our group of five recalled that scene as we intermittently cried out, "Hey Bear!"

Never dreamed I would be able to swim during a Crow Pass Hike. The weather was wonderful! (and this water was cold!)

The day after our hike a bear killed a moose on the trail. They closed the trail for two weeks due to the bear setting up his food cache right off trail.

saltydog #28903 11/02/12 09:00 AM
AJF Offline
Oooh!! I get to nominate the mist trail! But I would like to actually nominate the variation of taking the JMT either up or down; my favorite is up. So, as the Joker said, Here we go:

Description:
Leaving Happy Isles in Yosemite, shuttle stop 16, head up the paved road on river right. This becomes steep as you ascend a tight granit canyon above the Merced river, until you cross the footbridge, which provides your first glimpse of Vernal falls.

Just beyond here there is a fork in the trail. To the left is the traditional mist trail, to the right is the start of the John Muir trail. A 210.4 mile trail that finishes a the summit of Mount Whitney. Follow this trail to get "birds eye" views of Vernal and Nevada falls from the South side of the canyon. At the next(maybe second) trail junction go left (northish) and follow the signs for Nevada falls and Half Dome. When you are at the top of Nevada falls, enjoy the overlook and the powerful water running below your feet as you cross the bridge at the top.

Descend via the traditional mist trail passing nearly below the water falls that during heavy flow, there is no choice but be be enveloped by the mist of the falls.

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-valley/mist-trail/mist-trail.htm
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/the-mist-trail-vernal-and-nevada-falls

On that note let's nominate Half Dome while were here. The difference is at the top of Nevada Falls keep going while following the signs to Half Dome, if I remember correctly all left turns. Take the Via Ferretta cables to the top for an unprecedented view of the Yosemite Valley.

(edited for typos)

Last edited by AJF; 11/02/12 09:01 AM.

Photos, trip reports and blogs at:
www.anthonyfrabbiele.com and
http://stealthyeti.photoshelter.com
Chicagocwright #28904 11/02/12 09:16 AM
C
C
Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest to Half Dome to Yosemite Valley--22 miles one way

This is also a one way hike and works best if your family will drop you off on the way to Yosemite Valley so you can race them to the valley. Expect to spend 12-14 hours as you will not want to rush through the beauty. A permit is required to summit Half Dome.

Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest: Roughly 7 miles and the hardest climbing of the day. But don't fool yourself by thinking, "It is downhill from here." I'll include a video of the "scary" knife edge ridge below that leads to the final Clouds Rest summit.

Clouds Rest to Half Dome: Roughly 7 miles and you can follow the trail or take a "shortcut" off trail over the Quarter Domes. On this long hike the crowds will already have thinned out by the time you reach the cables. I was there at the busiest time of the year in August on a beautiful day and I was the ONLY person on the cables at about 3:00 pm.

Half Dome to Yosemite Valley: The final 7 miles. This will include Nevada and Vernal Falls and finish with the Mist Trail. Hard to imagine that the Falls and the Mist Trail seem like an afterthought to this amazing day hike!

This is a link to the Full Album:
Full Album

Chicagocwright #28918 11/02/12 10:57 PM
W
OP Offline
W
saltydog -- your nomination is accepted! (Hoo-ah!) I'll call it -- simply -- Haleakala Crater, Maui, Hawaii (see description by saltydog at: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/28898/gonew/1/FUN_NEW_GAME#UNREAD )

wagga -- I distinctly do NOT see a "2.a" in my original post. Fraud is not encouraged in this game. I interpret your post to be a violation of Rule # 5!

Chicagowright -- first nomination is good. It will be called Crow Pass, Alaska (see description by Chicagowright at:
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/28898/gonew/1/FUN_NEW_GAME#UNREAD )

Second nomination is also good. It will be called Tenaya Lake/Clouds Rest/Half Dome/Yosemite Valley, California (see description by Chicagowright at: (same URL as previous) )

AJF -- if I follow your description, I'll call your nomination Mist Trail, Yosemite NP, California (see description of variation from standard hike by AJF at: (same URL as previous) )

Also -- Half Dome (presumably the standard hike) is a good nomination. I was planning on throwing that in, even though I've not hiked it yet. We'll call that, simply, Half Dome, Yosemite NP, California.

These are all undoubtedly great hikes. But do they pass the test of being classic and iconic? Hikes that will have instant recognition by others as either something they've also done or as being something on their "to do" list? ONLY 10 will make the cut! I'm just speculating -- my guess, for example, is that of these hikes only the classic Half Dome hike might draw enough interest to rate in the "TTUSDHYMD".

As another example -- actually, examples -- I hereby nominate these additional hikes:

Grand Canyon rim to rim, Arizona (either north to south or south to north, with south trail either Bright Angel Trail or South Kaibab Trail)

Mt. Rainier, Washington (any route -- up to summit and back)

This is a good start to the "competition".

Whitney Fan #28919 11/02/12 11:06 PM
R
R
Angels Landing

"Angels Landing is one of the world's great hikes - perhaps the best short adventure hike in any US national park. It provides amazing views of Zion Canyon. Physically, this hike isn't that challenging. Virtually anyone in average physical condition can make the trek. But it is mentally challenging because the final leg is very steep, with sheer drop-offs. Chains have been bolted to the cliff to provide secure handholds. People seriously afraid of heights should not attempt the final leg, but can still have a very enjoyable hike up to Scout Lookout."

Difficulty: Strenuous; steep with exposure to long drop-offs
Length: 5 miles (round trip), 4-5 hours
Elevation change: 1,488 feet

RenoFrank #28920 11/02/12 11:37 PM
S
S

TTUSDHYMD - The Ten US DayHikes You Must Do
Steve C #28921 11/03/12 12:48 AM
S
S
I want to nominate "The Narrows" in Zion National Park. I hiked it top-to-bottom ~1999, and really want to go back. The "T-2-B" hike starts with a 1 1/2 hour commercial shuttle to a cattle ranch. Hiking is dry for several miles, then you wade right in. At least a third of the hike is in shallow water, but sometimes knee-deep. The scenery is fantastic. If you go late, the upper canyon has some great fall colors.

Maplink for the start and the end
Here's a good pdf map: Zion Narrows Map

Trail guides
Utah.com - "The Zion Narrows route is the most popular hike in Zion Park, and one of the world's best canyon hikes. It is pure fun and can be tailored to suit any ability level."

Joe's Guide to Zion - "The North Fork of the Virgin River (aka "The Zion Narrows") is probably one of the most legendary canyons to hike in all of Zion National Park."

Zion national-park.com - "The Zion Narrows deserves its reputation as one of the best, if not the best, hike in the National Park System."

Google Search     Google images

TTUSDHYMD - The Ten US DayHikes You Must Do
Steve C #28922 11/03/12 12:55 AM
C
C
I forgot to give rationales:

1. Tenaya Lake/Clouds Rest/Half Dome/Happy Isles
This hike is familiar to almost any hiker. The key is grouping these segments into one epic dayhike qualified to be part of the TTUSDHYMD. Of course the Mist Trail has to be part of the list. Of course Half Dome has to be part of the list. And it would be a crying shame if Clouds Rest were left off the list. But I don't want to take 3 of the top 10 when these can be grouped together for ONE awesome day hike. I hope we don't resort to using an easily attainable list. So I can imagine many may vote to settle for just Half Dome---but how can you pass up that view of Half Dome from Clouds Rest???

2. Crow Pass, Alaska
Well this one certainly is not easily attainable but perhaps a description of the full day may draw more votes.
First imagine yourself having made your way to Anchorage. A beautiful city surrounded by the Chugach Mountains on one side and the Cook Inlet on the other. You are minutes away from multiple trailheads and only a gorgeous 40 minute drive to this iconic trailhead.
So this is how your day will go: First you can start the hike just about anytime you want because the season for this hike will include 24 daylight. Let's assume a 7 am start.

7:00am You leave the city of Anchorage and as you exit the main part of the city you see moose on the side of the road.

7:05am You will pass Potter's Marsh on your left which has multitude species of birds, a bald eagle nest, and a spawning salmon area.

7:07am Just a few minutes away from downtown you will cross Bird Creek and easily spot Salmon in the waters. If you are lucky you will see bears, Grizzly or Black, fishing for those Salmon.

7:15am Soon you find yourself between the cliffs of the Chugach on your left and the Cook Inlet on the right. It is very likely you will soon see a Bald Eagle soaring over those cliffs. And no less likely you will come across herds of Dall Sheep high on the cliffs and sometimes they wander down to the road.

7:20am If you can tear your gaze away from the wildlife and views on your left you can see the beautiful Susitna mountain on your right and may even catch a glimpse of Denali (Mt. McKinley) in your rearview mirrow. Also on your right, across the Turnagain Arm, you will see luscious emerald green mountains partially covered with snow all the way down to sea level.

7:25am Again on your right you will pass by Beluga Point and again if you are lucky you will spot beluga whales out in the inlet

7:35am You are approaching Girdwood and your turn off the Seward Highway to the Crow Pass Trailhead. It is very likely you will see moose out in the swamp land just before the turn.

7:40am As you complete the drive, you will pass many old gold mining areas, some still active!

7:45am Well you have not even begun your hike yet! Time to Start!

7:55am You hit the trail. Be sure to sign the register! This is a big time hike and S&R will use this register if needed for clues to find you!

The concept of switchbacks has struggled to make its way to Alaska so you will find yourself climbing very quickly. The high point of the hike will come quickly. It doesn't take long for you to be surrounded by snow topped emerald green mountains. Be sure to make noise on the trail before climbing above the tree line to ensure you don't surprise any bears.

8:45am You will approach a waterfall surrounded by snow cover. Just next to this area is an old abandoned gold mine with equipment artifacts still scattered in areas.

9:55am Even with rest breaks and a sidetrip to the Falls, we made it to the top of Crow Pass within 2 hours. The 3,500 ft. Summit will be your highest elevation point. But standing at the sign, BELOW you, you see your 2nd glacier on the hike. Because you have already passed an alpine lake fed by the first glacier on your left. If you want to spend a little extra time, you can hike right down to this glacier. At this point you have only covered about 3 miles and have about 19 to go.

I won't break down the rest of the time spots because it can vary but it is likely your way down off the summit will include an ice bridge crossing, descending snow covered hills with easy glissading opportunities, and soon find yourself in meadows with 6 foot brush surrounding you on both sides. This is where I began to think about the Jurassic Park scene where Velociraptors began plucking the men from the trail. Our group of five hikers made sure to make plenty of noise to again scare off the bears. It is also wise to avoid the Devils Club!

The rest of the hike still has plenty of surprises! A gorge crossing, waterfalls, moose, bears, beavers, eagles, Emerald Green Mountains, Snow Covered Mountains, Glaciers, etc. And don't forget the Glacier Water river crossing. Pick your poison---if it a cold, cloudy day hike the river level will be lower. If it is a warmer day, the glacier melt will mean the water level will be higher. Either way, it is painfully cold and this crossing may be the most dangerous part of the hike.

As you finish this hike between 7-8pm the light will seem like mid-afternoon. You are only 30 minutes away from great Anchorage restaurants---seafood, pizza--take your pick! But try to get a window view. A moose may wander by as you eat!

Whitney Fan #28926 11/03/12 10:20 AM
C
C
March REI Hike Class 1-2

1. Rise early and rough it by preparing breakfast in microwave oven

2. Don't bother to break camp as you will be back before nightfall

3. Hit the trail early to reach REI Open Space by 8 am before the crowds arrive, ala Half Dome Cables

4. Detour into deep grass to avoid the vicious dog by the green house and hope the old fence holds one more time

5. Carefully avoid traffic as the path narrows by the creek. You may have a wet crossing if it has rained alot lately

6. Act a little smug as you reach the REI Open Space noting that you are among the first to ascent the summit. Note your time is a new speed record for the hike and remember to post on WZ so others can applaud your fantastic hiking time

7. Get ticked off as you realize you forgot your REI Permit that entitles you to a 20% discount and head home

Certainly not the quality of: An Ascent of Rum Doodle (Harvey will have read that one)

CMC2 #28928 11/03/12 01:36 PM
S
S
CMC wrote:
> 7. Get ticked off as you realize you forgot your REI Permit that entitles you to a 20% discount and head home

I prefer this as #7:
7. Smugly recite your REI member number to the checkout clerk, because it is so low it is easy to remember. Then brag to the clerk how you got that number long before he or she was born. grin

Whitney Fan #28931 11/03/12 03:09 PM
These are all undoubtedly great hikes. But do they pass the test of being classic and iconic? Hikes that will have instant recognition by others as either something they've also done or as being something on their "to do" list? ONLY 10 will make the cut! I'm just speculating -- my guess, for example, is that of these hikes only the classic Half Dome hike might draw enough interest to rate in the "TTUSDHYMD".

Wait, isn't this a rule 5 violation??? I don't see anything in the rules about "classic and iconic". Whats so great about hikes that a zillion people a year do? Do we want fifty people to win the "done' em all prize?" Sure, that's one strong recommendation, but avant garde and obscure has its appeal too. I thought the only substantive criterion was "must do". Case in Point, my next nomination:

THE LOST COAST!

Total Distance: 24 miles

Elevation at start: 0 (+-2)

Elevation at Finish: 0 (+-2)

Elevation gain/loss: 0/0

Recommended time: 3 days minimum, but come on, 24 miles with no elevation issue? Cakewalk! Right?

Day hike: theoretically possible but recommended to pick a segment from the map of the whole route.

Recommendations: Along the northern coast of California, civilization has left its mark on all but the most rugged or remote stretches of coastline known as The Lost Coast.

Untouched by major highways and towns, the name is well earned because it can only be accessed by a few back roads leading out of Shelter Cove in the south and Mattole in the north.

A part of the King Range Conservation Area managed by the BLM, the Lost Coast Trail is a 24 mile stretch of coast that leads north from Black Sands Beach to the Mattole River, along the wilderness beach. This is a rugged hike, not a simple walk on the beach, and is one of only a few coastal wilderness hiking experiences in the U.S. Hikers can view sea lions, tidepools and spectacular spring wildflowers. Not to mention sea otters, killer whales and bears, the latter highly skilled in the art of ursine nutritional larceny. Maybe the only beach in the country where you need a bear canister, and the only wilderness area where you need a tide chart.

Much of the trail is beach hiking with several stretches of boulders: rounded and wet, beach talus, so wear sturdy hiking boots. Stream crossings may be impassible during/after heavy winter rains (no bridges). The area near Punta Gorda from Sea Lion Gulch to Randall Creek; and from Miller Flat to Gitchell Creek may be impassible during high tide. Carry a tide table, and when in doubt, hike these stretches during an outgoing tide to avoid being trapped.

To obtain a backcountry permit, call the Bureau of Land Management, Arcata Field Office, at 707-825-2300. Or go to the website link above for more information.

Please Remember! Never turn your back on the ocean; large "sleeper" waves can occur at any time, sweeping unsuspecting hikers into the ocean.

Directions: Take the Honeydew exit from Hwy 101 (about 25 miles north of Garberville). Turn left on Bull Creek/Mattole Road and drive 22 miles. At Honeydew, turn west toward Petrolia and drive 13.5 miles. Before crossing the river, turn west on Lighthouse Road and drive five miles to the parking area.

OR: From Ferndale, take Petrolia Road 30 miles to Petrolia. Go 3/4 mile past Petrolia, cross the river and turn west onto Lighthouse Road, continue five miles to parking area.

-Note: be careful along the long drive from Hwy 101, often on narrow, winding, steep paved roads. The drive is not a recommended for motor homes or vehicles with long trailers.

If you need one specific day hike for this, call it Kinsey Ridge/Saddle Mt: The Lost Coast

SPOTMe!
saltydog #28934 11/03/12 04:48 PM
W
OP Offline
W
RenoFrank -- Angel's Landing, Zion NP, Utah is an excellent nomination. (Not that I'm biased, having done it myself!) I had intended to nominate it, but you grabbed it first.

Steve -- I feel that The Narrows, Zion NP, Utah is also an excellent nomination. I haven't done that, but had thought I might nominate it -- the hiking in water certainly gives this hike a uniqueness beyond the scenery. (I have done the first two miles before you have to enter the water.)

And you've unwittingly become tasked with furnishing map links for all nominations! smile

Chicagowright -- the "rationales" were unnecessary, your nominations had been fine. But -- these new hike descriptions are excellent examples of "impassioned and persuasive speech" which may win ultimate votes for your nominations!

Also, I received a call from the Alaska Chamber of Commerce asking for contact information for you! Seriously, your descriptiion helps me -- because I am tentatively planning my first trip ever to Alaska next year.

CMC2 -- I hereby adopt Rule # 19 -- humor is both allowed and encouraged!

saltydog -- no rule that nominations have to be "classic and iconic". The "test" I suggested was more in the spirit of -- and it's just my opinion -- that this will likely be in the minds of all voters. If only 10 hikes are selected from among scores, my guess is that familiarity (either by experience or reading) will contribute heavily to decision making. Even though a hike may be to die for (not literally!), if voters are first hearing about it via a nomination, and yet have had repeated exposure one way or another to other nominated hikes, my guess is that votes will go to those other hikes. Not that it's necessarily a good choice -- it's just what people, at large, do. For better or worse, popular vote and sentiment is sort of what defines "classic and iconic".

(I guess this is all good reason to put emphasis on that "impassioned and persuasive" pitch in for one's nominations, especially if they are relatively unknown.)

Your Kinsey Ridge/Saddle Mt: The Lost Coast, California (see description by saltydog at http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/28898/gonew/1/FUN_NEW_GAME#UNREAD ) nomination is a good one.

I can see it will be a good idea for me to post the up to date listing of all nominations in this thread from time to time.

Whitney Fan #28937 11/03/12 06:26 PM
C
C

Chicagowright -- the "rationales" were unnecessary, your nominations had been fine. But -- these new hike descriptions are excellent examples of "impassioned and persuasive speech" which may win ultimate votes for your nominations!

Also, I received a call from the Alaska Chamber of Commerce asking for contact information for you! Seriously, your descriptiion helps me -- because I am tentatively planning my first trip ever to Alaska next year.

We could easily have a TTYDHYMD substituting Yosemite for US. Nobody has yet nominated Panorama, 4 mile Trail or Yosemite Falls Trails. I guess I have beaten that rationale to death.

But as far as Alaska I've only been here 9 months and still can't believe I have these world class trailheads minutes from my home. And I've only hiked in the Anchorage area and Alaska has so much to offer. It is hard to decide which way to go! I had not heard about Crow Pass until 10 months ago. And my description above is no exaggeration or marketing spin!

Let me know which direction you are heading and I may be able to help point you in the right direction for questions or services. I'm learning so much myself so I will be interested in your plans.

Chicagocwright #28942 11/03/12 09:57 PM
R
R
Funny you should mention those 3 Yosemite hikes. Last September I visited Yosemite for my first time and hiked Half Dome. My group has already booked accommodations for the end of next May and we intend to hike Yosemite Falls, Four Mile Hike, and the Panorama trail.

saltydog #28943 11/03/12 10:07 PM
R
R
I'm always searching for "classic and iconic" day hikes a reasonable distance from Reno. Therefore I'm anxiously awaiting further nominations.It doesn't bother me if a zillion people have hiked there. I try to pick a time and/or day to encounter less traffic. A friend of mine from Canada has recommended this hike that I also nominate - Grouse Grind: It is a steep trail that climbs 853 m (2,800 ft) over a distance of 2.9 km (1.8 mi), with an average grade of 17 degrees and short sections of up to 30 degrees. The trail, nicknamed "Mother Nature's Stairmaster", is notoriously grueling due to its steepness and mountainous terrain. Hikers, who often time themselves on the trail, reach the top in approximately 90 minutes on average although some who are very fit can finish in under 30 minutes."

Oh wait, did you say "in the US"?

Steve C #28944 11/03/12 10:31 PM
C
C
Steve I knew someone would mention that you can give your REI # or name and the check out clerk would qualify you getting the discount. BUT I had to get home somehow.

By the way my REI number from 1961 is 202766, an easy one to remember, AND I got it well before most of the clerks were born.

Whitney Fan #28949 11/04/12 11:41 AM
Longs Peak - Keyhole Route in Rocky Mountain NP. Whitney on steroids. Not as much gain as MW, but a helluva lot more exposure. If "iconic" and "classic" count, one of Colorado's best. At the end of this dayhike, you've accomplished something - especially with the C3/4 sections. The Narrows section of Longs has serious pucker-factor, alomg with another section known as the Ledges. Think really long Whitney MR.

Last edited by Bulldog34; 11/05/12 06:36 AM. Reason: Clarified "Narrows" to avoid confusion with Zion's Narrows
Whitney Fan #28952 11/04/12 01:42 PM

CMC2 -- I hereby adopt Rule # 19 -- humor is both allowed and encouraged!

saltydog -- no rule that nominations have to be "classic and iconic". The "test" I suggested was more in the spirit of -- and it's just my opinion -- that this will likely be in the minds of all voters. If only 10 hikes are selected from among scores, my guess is that familiarity (either by experience or reading) will contribute heavily to decision making. Even though a hike may be to die for (not literally!), if voters are first hearing about it via a nomination, and yet have had repeated exposure one way or another to other nominated hikes, my guess is that votes will go to those other hikes. Not that it's necessarily a good choice -- it's just what people, at large, do. For better or worse, popular vote and sentiment is sort of what defines "classic and iconic".

(I guess this is all good reason to put emphasis on that "impassioned and persuasive" pitch in for one's nominations, especially if they are relatively unknown.)

Hey, here's an idea!!! Can I form a SuperPAC and run adds for my and others' nominations?

SPOTMe!
saltydog #28964 11/04/12 09:04 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Chicagowright -- small correction. You cited "TTDHYMD", but it's actually "TTUSDHYMD". ("US" for United States, and "M" MUST be underlined!) You are on the money regarding the fact that 10 hikes could be cited for Yosemite only. And could for many, many locations.

I'll keep you in mind when I start with a tentative plan for an Alaska visit.

RenoFrank -- yup, this competition is only for "US" hikes. But sounds like a neat hike for sure.

Bulldog34 -- excellent nomination for Long's Peak (Keyhole Route), Rocky Mountain NP, Colorado. I assume the round trip -- to summit and back -- can be done within a calendar day?

I'm confused by your implying exposure for The Narrows hike. Isn't this hike basically walking through water and looking up at stuff rather than climbing up that stuff? Steve may comment on this . . .

(Coincidentally, watching your Falcons hosting the Cowboys right now as I type -- in a window (and in HD) c/o the new TV tuner I installed on my pc.)

saltydog -- excellent use of Rule # 19!

Whitney Fan #28965 11/04/12 09:15 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Destined to have been nominated IMHO, and I got to it first:

Cactus to Clouds Trail, Mt. San Jacinto, Palm Springs, California. (Trailhead to summit, summit back to tram station, tram down from that point.) Plenty of information about this online, but about 23 miles in hiking, over two vertical miles in elevation gain. That elevation gain is what makes this hike unique.

If I wait until age 70 for that next major hike, I'm wondering if I should substitute this one in lieu of returning to Whitney for either the Mountaineer's Route or Main Trail again.

Whitney Fan #28971 11/04/12 11:09 PM
W
OP Offline
W
See an alphabetical list of all nominated hikes to date in the separate "TTUSDHYMD NOMINATIONS SUMMARY" thread (in the General Discussion forum).

We have 13 fine candidates thus far.

Whitney Fan #28972 11/05/12 04:44 AM
Whitney Fan, Longs is about a 14-mile RT, so easily a dayhike. The Narrows I was referring to is a section on Longs with a lot of exposure, not the Zion hike. I amended the post to clarify.

Falcons 8-0. Cowboys unceremoniously dumped in the Dome. UGA # 5 in the BCS. Life is good. It would be exceedingly better if I could find a break in my work schedule to get to Cali for a few climbs . . .

Also, if we're limiting nominations to dayhikes, how did Rainier's summit get in the mix? Yes, it can be done in a day by a few uber-mountaineers, but only a few. Mere mortals just can't do it.

Whitney Fan #28975 11/05/12 09:37 AM
R
R
Choosing a nomination from the Lake Tahoe region is not easy. I considered Mt Tallac and Sierra Buttes fire look out. But I nominate the Rubicon Trail. Any easy 4 mile shuttle or 8 mile out and back along and above the shores of beautiful Lake Tahoe. Start at either Emerald Bay or Bliss State Park. Tahoe is a special place definitely a destination for outdoor enthusiasts.

RenoFrank #28987 11/05/12 11:16 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Bulldog34 -- thanks for the response and clarification. I hear you about your "life is good" comment. But "life is even better" when you're a season ticket holder of the Miami Dolphins from 1971 through 1974, with a seat on the 30 yard line just 15 rows up behind the Dolphin's bench in the Orange Bowl . . . and witnessing their 17-0-0 perfect season in 1972 LIVE and when games were only $ 8 each!

Mt. Rainier -- truth be told, that was haunting me a little after nominating it. Thought I'd better double check it's day hike status. Your comment reminded me of that. A few seconds of Googling refreshed my memory that it's NOT really a day hike. So it is hereby rejected and will be deleted from the list of nominated hikes.

RenoFrank -- your nomination for "Rubicon Trail, Lake Tahoe, California" is added. I see that the 4 1/2 mile long trail also has an optional 2 mile long extension.

And I have a new nomination, sort of a dark horse candidate, so here's comes the "impassioned and persuasive" pitch. The Delicate Arch trail in Arches National Park, Utah, is only 3 miles "out and back" (round trip)! But -- I swear, it's the most fun 3 mile hike you'll ever take. The trail includes walking on slickrock. It's a nice walk, certainly quite scenic, and then dramatically escalates at the end, as you round a corner and see -- and see only then -- Delicate Arch (the symbol on Utah license plates). It's indescribably inspiring and you can walk up to it and under it, with a large sandstone bowl below it. (Watch your step -- DON'T tumble down in to it.) You then sit down between the bowl and the arch, with the space within the arch framing snow capped peaks, and you remain seated for an hour, wishing all of life could be so serene. (And if you're as lucky as I was, you'll encounter a Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep in repose only about 15 feet from you on the return to the trailhead -- I was told a sighting like that was quite rare at the time.)

Whitney Fan #28988 11/05/12 11:26 PM
S
S
Ah yes, I hiked the Delicate Arch hike, too. It would be a great family hike, since it is so short. It was special for me, because it is one of the four pictures on my bank checks.

My group also saw several bighorn sheep, but much farther away. One was in the bowl below, others were barely visible half a mile or so in the distance.

We went in the afternoon, and watched the sunset from the end of the trail. There were several hundred people there, but due to the beauty of the spot, there was quite a hushed, reverent mood.

Definitely a good nomination.

Steve C #28989 11/05/12 11:35 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Do tell -- what are the other 3 pictures?! ({Perhaps some nomination material there?!)

Whitney Fan #29006 11/06/12 09:34 PM
W
OP Offline
W
The "TTUSDHYMD NOMINATIONS SUMMARY" thread (in the General Discussion forum) has been edited to , primarily, create direct links from all nominated hikes to the nomination post for it.

TUSDHYMD: Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do
Whitney Fan #29010 11/07/12 12:49 AM
S
S
Do tell -- what are the other 3 pictures?! (Perhaps some nomination material there?!)

The pictures on my checks can be found here: National Parks Checks

Delicate Arch                                                                     Yosemite Falls

Acadia N.P.                                                                     Grand Teton

Great Smoky Mountains

Re: TUSDHYMD: Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do
Steve C #29034 11/08/12 07:58 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. Thousands of words sometime soon. My nomination is Hulapai Hilltop/Colorado River/Hulapai Hilltop.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #29041 11/09/12 07:13 AM
I haven't done all these hikes but I am familiar with a few, and have reservations about including Cactus to Clouds in the top 10 hikes in the US. Some of the hikes (but not all) require above average stamina, and this hike is one of them. However, while it's a real grunt, it's not particularly scenic. On the scores of hikes I've done in the US Southwest, it's pretty average in that department. And do you really need a beer and burger and all that goes with it at 8K'?

If you want a desert hike that will test your stamina, do the Badwater to Telescope. That one actually is scenic, especially once the Sierra comes into view.

KevinR #29062 11/10/12 07:13 PM
W
OP Offline
W
wagga -- your nomination led me here in an attempt to find out more about this hike. Is this the hike you're proposing? If so, my adding of the 3 mileages on that page (for 3 different segments of the trail) comes to 16 1/2 miles one way! This looks like a great hike, but can we really call a 33 mile round trip hike a day hike? I think we can, but it's sure a stretch, especially considering it's in the Grand Canyon going down to the river and back. I'm inclined to accept it as a day hike absent comments thinking I shouldn't. But please confirm that this is the hike you're nominating.

KevinR -- your post also required me to snoop around to get more information. Here is one page I found (like wagga's nomination, there are multiple sources of further online information). Here we have another puzzle -- this looks like yet another great hike, but at 33.8 miles ONE WAY, I'm not sure if we can call this a day hike. Sleeping on the summit to end the hike? It seems that some sort of return to end the overall hiking environment would apply. Can you come up with a specific hiking plan that would rationalize this as a day hike? (It looks like there might be some way to be found online, but instead of my working to find it I thought you might know more quickly.)

These are two great and thought provoking posts!

Whitney Fan #29066 11/10/12 09:54 PM
S
S
Wagga's nomination is truly a beautiful spot. I'd nominate it as a "US Place You Must Visit" if you are a hiker. It is best visited as a backpack trip, camping in the campground for several nights. One day should be spent exploring the waterfalls and swimming in the aqua pools at their bases, and another could be a fantastic hike down to the Colorado River and back. I've made that visit twice, and would love to get my family down there, too.

Whitney Fan #29072 11/11/12 03:36 AM
...KevinR -- your post also required me to snoop around to get more information. Here is one page I found (like wagga's nomination, there are multiple sources of further online information). Here we have another puzzle -- this looks like yet another great hike, but at 33.8 miles ONE WAY, I'm not sure if we can call this a day hike. Sleeping on the summit to end the hike? It seems that some sort of return to end the overall hiking environment would apply. Can you come up with a specific hiking plan that would rationalize this as a day hike? (It looks like there might be some way to be found online, but instead of my working to find it I thought you might know more quickly.)

It's my understanding that those who climb Telescope this way are able to get much closer to Telescope than 33.8 miles - less than 20 if memory serves, but it's still 11K' of elevation gain over rough terrain. Mostly they return via the trail (7 miles) to the TH at Mahogany Flats where a friend waits with a cooler of adult beverages. None that I talked with have ever said they'd do it a second time.

Mt Washington NH: TUCKS!
Whitney Fan #29074 11/11/12 09:31 AM
Tuckerman Ravine to Mount Washington, New Hampshire. High point of the White Mountains section of the Appalachian Trail, with lots of variations and side trips to other Presidential Peaks, Lake of the Clouds AT hut, etc. One of the few segments of the AT that is not Green Tunnel. In addition to Tuckerman Ravine, Great Gulf, Gulf Of Slides, Huntington Ravine, Lion's Head trail, Boot Spur Trail. Generally from Pinkham Notch, 8-10 miles RT, but you can make it 20 or more. 4,000 feet up, 4,000 feet down. Attractions include the worst weather in the world (this is where Hugh Herr lost his feet), perpetual party at Tucks in spring conditions. Times for this trip vary greatly. Record for descent is about 7 1/2 minutes, by Toni Matt, in 1939, schussed top to bottom, including the Tucks headwall and the Sherbourne Trail below. (Winter Only. Not recommended, ever).

Mt Washington from Wildcat Ridge Tail, showing L to R, Gulf of Slides, Tucks, Huntington Ravine. Great Gulf is over the ridge on right.

SPOTMe!
Whitney Fan #29075 11/11/12 10:04 AM
R
R
Flume Trail - Another Tahoe hike. Also a very popular biking trail. I don't know how to embed the photo:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/313457_2387697764771_641383983_n.jpg

Edit: photo embedded. Here's all you do (see the ubb tags in red):
[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/313457_2387697764771_641383983_n.jpg[/img]

Re: Mt Washington NH: TUCKS!
saltydog #29082 11/11/12 09:11 PM
C
C
Thank you for posting the Mt. Washington hike. My mom grew up in Jefferson and family still lives with Mt. Washington in their backyard.

Chicagocwright #29087 11/12/12 12:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Chicagocwright
Thank you for posting the Mt. Washington hike. My mom grew up in Jefferson and family still lives with Mt. Washington in their backyard.

That's quite a back yard. Incidentally, I left out of the caption that the AMC Pinkham Notch Visitor's Center and Joe Dodge Lodge (the Presidential Range's Whitney Portal, IAVC and Hostel all-in-one) is at the bottom right of the shot.

SPOTMe!
saltydog #29094 11/12/12 06:34 PM
W
OP Offline
W
KevinR -- your most recent post seems to suggest that it might be considered a day hike, but honestly, it wasn't that clear to me as to the specifics of what you were saying. More detail might help. (Or if I'm wrong, and others could see precisely what you were describing, let me know!) For example, when you say "this way" "less than 20" . . . WHAT "way"? Precisely what starting and ending points are involved to wind up being less than 20 miles in contrast to the starting and ending points being 33.8 miles that I found? I was able to confirm online that Mahogany Flats is 7 miles of descent from the summit. I can buy in to the idea of someone hanging out there to pick up a returning hiker to finish the day hike (even noting that it's a 1 1/2 mile 4 wheel drive road to end the drive to Mahogany Flats). If you or someone else can come up with some definitive information for a route that describes Badwater to the Telescope summit in only 20 miles or less we then have a 27 mile hike that to my mind CAN be called a day hike. (As always, anything I opine can be commented on!)

saltydog -- EXCELLENT nomination for Mount Washington! And you get the honor of being the first to nominate a hike east of the Mississippi. (I'll bet there are other worthy hikes we need to consider in the east. I'm also wondering when the first hike involving a slot canyon will be nominated.)

With your assumed concurrence, and based on my double checking online, it looks like we can consider a Mount Washington day hike as being an up and back using ANY trail or combination of two trails. (I noted that the Tuckerman Ravine and Lions Head trails are the two most popular.)

Like many others, I have done a day RIDE of Mount Washington. Up and back in my trusty 2001 Toyota Celica, with a short walk from the parking lot to the actual summit. This was in the late summer, but boy, once on the top, with no jacket, it was colder than a witch's single mammary gland -- as well as being fogged out. In other words, typical for Mount Washington.

RenoFrank, Flume Trail -- Lake Tahoe, Nevada looks good for me. Just one question though -- the hits that come up Googling show this to be primarily a biking trail. I presume hikers are allowed? ARE there quite a few hikers on the trail at any given time? (Also, I see that this is primarily a one way trail, with a shuttle available at one end back to the start, although I presume you could do it as a round trip if you were really ambitious.)

Whitney Fan #29095 11/12/12 06:44 PM
W
OP Offline
W

Whitney Fan #29098 11/12/12 09:21 PM

saltydog -- EXCELLENT nomination for Mount Washington! And you get the honor of being the first to nominate a hike east of the Mississippi. (I'll bet there are other worthy hikes we need to consider in the east. I'm also wondering when the first hike involving a slot canyon will be nominated.)

With your assumed concurrence, and based on my double checking online, it looks like we can consider a Mount Washington day hike as being an up and back using ANY trail or combination of two trails. (I noted that the Tuckerman Ravine and Lions Head trails are the two most popular.)

Absolutely: sorry if that wasn't clear: lots of variations possible, peaks to bag, 5+ rock, etc all starting and finishing at Pinkham Notch.

SPOTMe!
Whitney Fan #29112 11/13/12 04:44 PM
KevinR -- your most recent post seems to suggest that it might be considered a day hike, but honestly, it wasn't that clear to me as to the specifics of what you were saying. More detail might help. (Or if I'm wrong, and others could see precisely what you were describing, let me know!) For example, when you say "this way" "less than 20" . . . WHAT "way"? Precisely what starting and ending points are involved to wind up being less than 20 miles in contrast to the starting and ending points being 33.8 miles that I found? I was able to confirm online that Mahogany Flats is 7 miles of descent from the summit. I can buy in to the idea of someone hanging out there to pick up a returning hiker to finish the day hike (even noting that it's a 1 1/2 mile 4 wheel drive road to end the drive to Mahogany Flats). If you or someone else can come up with some definitive information for a route that describes Badwater to the Telescope summit in only 20 miles or less we then have a 27 mile hike that to my mind CAN be called a day hike. (As always, anything I opine can be commented on!)

Whoa! Don't look to me for anything regarding the feasibility of hiking Telescope from Badwater! All I was pointing out is that your starting point looks to be far east of the "usual" starting point.

I've done Telescope several times from Mahogany Flats, the usual TH. It's 14 miles, a delightful hike, especially in early fall. And, BTW - the PS maintains the access road beyond the kilns, and a 4x4 is rarely needed.

KevinR #29115 11/13/12 07:10 PM
Originally Posted By: KevinR

And, BTW - the PS maintains the access road beyond the kilns, and a 4x4 is rarely needed.

Now that's a neat piece of info, Kevin. The only time I've done Telescope I started from the kilns due to the beta on the road conditions. I do recall thinking at the time that I would not want to drive it in a rental car. Has the condition improved to the degree that high-clearance isn't necessary, or just not necessarily a 4X4?

And I was wondering when the East would get some love on bucket list hikes. Not many, I know, but Mt. Washington is definitely up there. The Springer Mountain or Kathadin legs on the AT would probably qualify on the "iconic" side, as they begin and end the trail.

Whitney Fan #29118 11/13/12 08:59 PM
R
R
Flume Trail: I've been on the trail several times. Seems to be more bikes than hikers but never a problem. I always go midweek. And I've hiked the trail in both directions. A shuttle: from Spooner Lake up to Marlette Lake, out on the Flume Trail, and down Tunnel Creek to Hidden Beach at Lake Tahoe. We always leave a car at the Hidden Beach area although parking is illegal at the trail's end. You have to park by the road about 1/4 mile away. And I've done it as an out and back from both directions: from Hidden Beach up Tunnel Creek to Flume Trail and over to Marlette Lake then back down to Hidden Beach - about 16 miles total. Or from Spooner Lake take the fairly new trail up to Marlette Lake and out on the Flume Trail going as far as you like depending how long you want your hike to be. There's a nice spot to stop for lunch above Sand Harbor (that's where my picture is taken from)and then return to Spooner Lake.

Bulldog34 #29120 11/14/12 03:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Originally Posted By: KevinR

And, BTW - the PS maintains the access road beyond the kilns, and a 4x4 is rarely needed.

Now that's a neat piece of info, Kevin. The only time I've done Telescope I started from the kilns due to the beta on the road conditions. I do recall thinking at the time that I would not want to drive it in a rental car. Has the condition improved to the degree that high-clearance isn't necessary, or just not necessarily a 4X4?

And I was wondering when the East would get some love on bucket list hikes. Not many, I know, but Mt. Washington is definitely up there. The Springer Mountain or Kathadin legs on the AT would probably qualify on the "iconic" side, as they begin and end the trail.

Re: the road to Mahagony Flats - not too far above the kilns is a gate which the FS closes when the road gets icy/snow-covered. You can never be certain of even getting to the kilns as a rainstorm can wash out the road/cover it with 2' of gravel, etc, and if this happens in the fall, the FS may wait until spring to fix it. As for the condition of the road above the gate - IIRC about 5 years the FS did some major work widening & grading it, and at times it's rather smooth. Whether it was done for visitors or for maintenance access as there are solar-powered communications up there - either way it gets you to the same place. Having said that - it only takes one or two yahoos with a 4x4 to gun their way to top and the road can develop some deep ruts. Having said that - there's another campground and pull outs in that mile or two where you can park if the road is beyond your comfort level.

As for East Coast hikes - yes, there are lots of them, and Washington is a good one. Personally, I like the loop hike from the west (Ammo to Monroe then Washington and return via Jewell), especially now with year-round access, but the western side from Tucks is great also. Keep in mind that high avalanche danger during the winter closes the Bowl itself, and a section of the Tuckerman trail is re-routed. As a New Englander who has been fortunate to live, work and play in many places in the US, there are many great hikes in the East as well as the Pacific NW, but this is a Sierra-centric board, so mostly I enjoy watching what others enjoy in the SW where I lived most recently for 7 years.

KevinR #29134 11/14/12 08:09 PM
W
OP Offline
W
In the absence of any future input defining a Badwater starting point making the one way distance to the summit of Telescope Peak 20 miles or less (as discussed in previous posts), I think there are probably enough fans to justify the nomination of -- at least -- the "standard" 14 mile or so hike from Mahogany Flats to the summit and back.

Hereby nominated and summary post updated . If a well defined Badwater (in lieu of Mahogany Flats) to Telescope trek is posted that makes it a day hike (7 miles return from summit to Mahogany PLUS one way to summit from Badwater (20 miles or under?) has got to be doable in a day), then we can ADD that to the nominations.

Hope this makes sense.

KevinR #29143 11/15/12 02:43 PM
K
K
Kevin: I'll agree with you on C2C - a good workout, but not the most scenic desert hike. It's also at the point that it's a pretty crowded trail on the weekends in the spring and fall. At this point, I like to do it once in the fall and once in the spring but if I didn't live fairly close to it I wouldn't do it again.

The trouble with picking out the best day hikes is that we all have different limitations as to what we are able to do in a day.

KathyW #29148 11/15/12 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: KathyW

The trouble with picking out the best day hikes is that we all have different limitations as to what we are able to do in a day.

Funny, I would think that's precisely why the actual list includes such a variety of hikes. But, I've been known to be wrong.

But just for shits and giggles: I'll throw Table Mountain (Great Western Divide) into the mix.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #29151 11/15/12 11:06 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Table Mountain (Great Western Divide), Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP, California is added to the nominations. Looks like a hike promoting less of "giggles" and more of the noun preceding it according to Bob Burd's trip report (Laura was part of that hike).

The hike, both trail and a route, starts and finishes at Shepherd Pass Trailhead. Although a very tough hike, the trip report covers events within a calendar day, so, ergo, it's a day hike!

I noted in Wikipedia that THIS Table Mountain is the highest of 21 Table Mountains in California. (Challenge for someone --do all 21!)

Whitney Fan #29152 11/15/12 11:14 PM
S
S
> THIS Table Mountain is the highest of 21 Table Mountains in California. (Challenge for someone --do all 21!)

like!   Not there's a unique challenge!

I've pushed my bicycle to the top of the Table Mountain here. But I've never been inside the casino.

Steve C #29154 11/15/12 11:32 PM
W
OP Offline
W
And it may be more of a challenge in the "do"ing of them all to actually FIND them before climbing them!

Come on, we need a real fan of summits named "Table Mountain" to start a new thread about all this! And why limit it to California? Can someone list and codify all Table Mountains for each of the 50 states? LOL!

(And after all that, we could entertain other mountain names claimed by many mountains -- I'm sure there's lots of them. The "What In The World Happened Here" (WITWHH) thread could be jeopardized by a tidal wave of fresh new enthusiasm for this new research oriented activity!)

Last edited by Whitney Fan; 11/15/12 11:32 PM.
Whitney Fan #29156 11/16/12 02:18 AM
S
S
Along that line, how many "Twin Lakes" are there in California?

Steve C #29158 11/16/12 08:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Along that line, how many "Twin Lakes" are there in California?

Or Sand Canyons, for that matter... or Silver Lakes?

Whitney Fan #29159 11/16/12 10:27 AM

The hike, both trail and a route, starts and finishes at Shepherd Pass. Although a very tough hike, the trip report covers events within a calendar day, so, ergo, it's a day hike!

I hope you mean its a day hike because it starts and finishes at the Shepherd Pass Trail Head, not the pass itself. Otherwise, I'd feel free to nominate the Denali West Buttress Summit from Camp 4!

SPOTMe!
saltydog #29160 11/16/12 10:43 AM
C
C
How many famous "Camp 4"'s are there? I get confused even within the confines of Yosemite.

saltydog #29161 11/16/12 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: saltydog
I hope you mean its a day hike because it starts and finishes at the Shepherd Pass Trail Head, not the pass itself. Otherwise, I'd feel free to nominate the Denali West Buttress Summit from Camp 4!

Yup, trailhead. I'd throw in Observation and Shakspere (yeah, it is spelled that way), but I didn't think much of the Deer Meadow area of the JMT. The rest of the hike is actually incredibly scenic, bounded by the Palisades, the Black Divide, and looking into the Dumbbell Lake basin.

I also think the first 3 miles of the McGee Creek trail, either in full flower or full fall color, is one of the best local hikes around.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #29164 11/16/12 07:40 PM
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
I'd throw in Observation and Shakspere (yeah, it is spelled that way), but I didn't think much of the Deer Meadow area of the JMT.

Where at? When I google Shakspere, I get the predictable.

Akichow #29165 11/16/12 08:41 PM
South Lake --> Dusy Basin --> Knapsack Pass --> Deer Meadow --> Amphitheater Lake --> Observation Pass --> Observation Peak --> Mt. Shakspere --> Deer Meadow-ish/JMT --> LeConte Canyon --> hellish climb back up to Bishop Pass --> South Lake

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #29167 11/17/12 12:28 AM
W
OP Offline
W
saltydog -- don't understand your pointing out "Trail Head" is missing in my post about Table Mountain. I see it.

grin

(thanks for the steer -- I MEANT to say it was the trailhead but . . . )

Steve C #29168 11/17/12 12:39 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Steve, you wonder how many "Twin Lakes" there are in California. And KevinR wonders similarly regarding "Sand Canyon" and "Silver Lake".

Now that's what I'm talking about! Run with it! They can be the first 3 entries in "How Many In California Are There Of . . ." (HMICATO . . .)!

(With extra points awarded for additional correct answers for states, with a maximum of 49 extra points available!)

(And your fourth challenge can be for "Round Top".)

Whitney Fan #29171 11/17/12 07:22 AM
Steve, you wonder how many "Twin Lakes" there are in California. And KevinR wonders similarly regarding "Sand Canyon" and "Silver Lake".

Now that's what I'm talking about! Run with it! They can be the first 3 entries in "How Many In California Are There Of . . ." (HMICATO . . .)!

(With extra points awarded for additional correct answers for states, with a maximum of 49 extra points available!)

(And your fourth challenge can be for "Round Top".)

Add Mt Whitney to this challenge: you may be surprised. . .

SPOTMe!
saltydog #29181 11/17/12 10:44 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Lots of Mt. Whitneys in California? A quick attempt Googling didn't show anything like that quickly (although more intensive research might). But -- if you already know something about this please share it here for all of us to know! (ESPECIALLY since this IS the WHITNEY Zone.)

Whitney Fan #29182 11/17/12 11:10 PM
W
OP Offline
W
I have two more nominations.

I'm a little surprised no one has yet nominated what I would have thought to be a "natural" -- the Mt. Whitney Mountaineer's Route. Hereby nominated.

However, this will create an interesting consideration when it comes time for actual voting. On the assumption that Mt. Whitney belongs in the top ten to begin with, and the further assumption that the main trail would be the more popular selection, does the Mountaineer's Route have enouch cachet to both "outrank" other nominations and justify the inclusion of TWO Mt. Whitney hikes on the list?

(Then again, you know what they say about "assumptions".)

My second nomination is an innovative one that may or may not appeal to voters when push comes to shove! (Not even sure if I will agree with it.) But -- the nomination is for "Reader's Choice -- personal favorite not otherwise listed". If this nomination is selected, the final top ten will have 9 specific hikes with anyone reading the list able to then complete the list with his/her own favorite.

So when we eventually vote, we will have to personally decide which is better -- a list with 10 specific hikes or a list including this optional choice. Everyone will be able to vote on anywhere from one to ten hikes. Will you like the idea of this to begin with? If you do like it, but find yourself highly attracted to 10 other specific hikes to begin with, will you vote for the 10 or eliminate one of them?

Ah, such intrigue and drama as the evolution of the "TTUSDHYMD" nomination and selection process continues!

The nominations summary post has been updated -- now with 20 nominations.

Whitney Fan #29185 11/18/12 10:00 AM
R
R
One of my best day hikes out of three years spent in the US:

Swiftcurrent pass in Glacier national park, Montana.

Start the hike at the Many Glacier TH, enjoy grizzly tracks as you approach Redrock lake, don't miss the moose as you pass Bullhead lake then make your way up to Swiftcurrent pass by crossing numerous falls.
On the way down, take a break from the cold (hot?) weather at the Granite Park chalet before starting your descent toward the Logan Pass trailhead on the Highline trail. If you have enough energy, climb to a small "window" in the beautiful Garden wall to get a glimpse of Grinell glacier on the other side. Enjoy the numerous moutain goat and bighorn sheep sightings since your feet are beginning to hurt as you've now walked close to 16 miles.
End your day by hoping on the shuttle to go back to your car.

A small map here : http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/upload/hiking_logan.swf

I need to come back on this board more often...

raphus #29190 11/18/12 04:42 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Raphus, your nomination sparked some intensive research by me so I could understand more clearly this area. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears you are describing the Swiftcurrent Pass Trail from Many Glacier to the Granite Park Chalet and then going from there to Logan Pass on the Highline Trail. This is a one way hike and a pretty long one. What is the concept for when you finish the hike -- to have a friend or famiy member pick you up and take the drive back to the starting point? How long is that drive (it appears that it might be a long one)? (I did SOME research but I'll leave some for you too! grin Or, you may know to begin with.)

I'll put you on the nominations summary page as "Swiftcurrent Pass Trail/Highline Trail, Glacier NP, Montana".

But I think it's important to note for interested folks in this hike -- my research showed MANY options and variations to what you did. For example, there's a 2 mile offshoot hike to the top of Swiftcurrent Mountain. One could simply go out and back on the Swiftcurrent Trail only. Or could also use the Highline Trail as an out and back. Or -- go one way on the Highline from Logan Pass, then take what is called the Loop Trail down to the road where a shuttle is available to go back to Logan Pass. (If I've inaccurately stated all this you're free to correct me.)

But in the spirit of having just one defined hike from many possibilities in this area, and honoring the intent of the nominator, I'll list the hike as I described above, which seems to be exactly what you did.

Glacier National Park is one of 15 of the national parks within the 48 states I haven't visited yet (I've been to the other 31). Your hike nomination and my subsequent research whetted my appetite!

You have a good idea about visiting this board more often.

Whitney Fan #29196 11/19/12 01:17 PM
R
R
Your description of the hike is exactly what I meant.
A rather long hike, yes, but one that let you see a great variety of landscape (and wildlife according to my experience).

It is true that the start and end TH are not the same, however there are shuttle services available to connect the 2 trailheads during summer time in the park.
The easiest way to go is to park at the St Mary visitor center (east side) and take the private 10$/person shuttle to go to the Many Glacier trailhead in the morning (East side shuttle, only a few shuttles per day: http://www.glacierparkinc.com/images/_userfiles/files/Shuttle%20Brochure_lowres.pdf).
At the end of the hike at Logan Pass, you will be able to use the free shuttle service of the park to go back to your car (several shuttles per hour : http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm).

I hope it might help, Glacier is a really beautiful park.

Whitney Fan #29202 11/20/12 05:09 PM
Lots of Mt. Whitneys in California? A quick attempt Googling didn't show anything like that quickly (although more intensive research might). But -- if you already know something about this please share it here for all of us to know! (ESPECIALLY since this IS the WHITNEY Zone.)

Mt Whitney California

SPOTMe!
saltydog #29204 11/20/12 05:30 PM
A couple of hikes that I think should be included:
- Agnew Meadows to Lake Ediza. Total distance approx. 14 miles roundtrip with elevation gain/loss:1495ft/1495ft

Shadow lake on the way to Lake Ediza

Shadow Lake, looking back

Lake Ediza

Couple of pictures of the hike back to Agnew Meadows

- Yosemite Falls Trailhead to Upper Yosemite Falls. Total distance approx. 7.2 miles round-trip with elevation gain/loss: 2,700ft

Sorry, on pictures from this hike.

While these two hikes are not as "epic" as some of the others, they are great hikes nonetheless.

John

John Sims #29221 11/22/12 02:32 AM
W
OP Offline
W
saltydog -- is this the only other Mt. Whitney in California to your knowledge? Perhaps I misconstrued your first post mentioning Whitney -- maybe you were only alerting to the fact that there was just another (one) Mt. Whitney in California rather than multiple ones?

John -- I wasn't familiar with your first nomination, not even knowing where it was. A litle Googling showed me that this is indeed a good nomination. And anything with "Yosemite" in it has GOT to be a good hike too!

The list of all nominated hikes (now 23 of them) has been updated . You -- with your two nominations -- command both the top and bottom of the list!

Whitney Fan #29241 11/25/12 08:23 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Here is what nyhiker said in a post on the other thread ("TTUSDHYMD NOMINATIONS SUMMARY"):

"How about Mount Haystack in the Adirondacks, NY?

Here is my recent trip report: My rationale is in the report!

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php...amp;ski=Include"

This nomination is a good one. And only the second hike east of the Mississipi River thus far nominated.

I'm originally an upstate New Yorker, so have a fondness for the Adirondacks. Did a canoe trip through the Fulton Chain of Lakes there from Old Forge to Blue Mountain Lake, have climbed 6 peaks, driven to the top of Whiteface Mountain, seen Ausable Chasm, had a priest teach me how to play Blackjack in the summer camp he hosted for young fellows in his congregation.

There are now 24 nominated day hikes that you must do in the United States!

Whitney Fan #29255 11/28/12 07:08 AM
saltydog -- is this the only other Mt. Whitney in California to your knowledge? Perhaps I misconstrued your first post mentioning Whitney -- maybe you were only alerting to the fact that there was just another (one) Mt. Whitney in California rather than multiple ones?

Isn't one unusual enough to note?

SPOTMe!
saltydog #29263 11/29/12 01:05 AM
W
OP Offline
W
saltydog -- the posts just before your post about Mt. Whitney had been about mountain names with many claimants. So when you posted I (and others?) thought you were putting Whitney in that category too. (Not that our fave Whitney doesn't deserve some recognition for having only one "duplicate" too!)

Whitney Fan #29282 11/30/12 02:30 PM
That's what I thought: One Mt Whitney has gotta be worth a dozen or so Silver Lakes

SPOTMe!
saltydog #29525 01/01/13 08:03 PM
W
OP Offline
W
The month of December has taken everyone's interest (and probably deservingly so).

But . . . the responsiblity of the Whitney Zone to declare the Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do (TUSDHYMD) continues!

Nominators . . . commence work!

Nominations to date .

Whitney Fan #29526 01/02/13 06:37 AM
The month of December has taken everyone's interest (and probably deservingly so).

But . . . the responsiblity of the Whitney Zone to declare the Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do (TUSDHYMD) continues!

Nominators . . . commence work!

Nominations to date .

OK< here's my first nomination for the new year. Since it has to be in the US, it is by definition only technically available to those who live in the US, its territories and possessions (yes, folks we still have colonies) etc.

I call it the Home Loop/Paradox Hike. It can be an out and back, but the loop version is far more interesting and challenging. The route description is a little vague, I know, but the good thing about that is that there is no wrong route: you can plan it meticulously, make it up as you go along or any combination of the above.

Here's the trip: you are going somewhere you have never been before, by hanging around where you spend every day: Paradox Hike. Beginning at whatever you consider your front door, walk, for half the day. Then return to your door, preferably by a different route. That's it.

The hike begins and ends at your door. Don't drive anywhere, don't bike or take a bus, and if you are hiking with someone else, neither of you takes any other form of transportation: the route description applies to everyone in the party. Overnight guests are no exception: if they don't start from their home, they are not on the same hike you are. In fact, that can be another challenge variation: do this hike with someone else, who, in order to be doing the same hike, cannot start or finish with you. Paradox Hike.

You won't need a map, but take one out of habit and good practice. I will be amazed to learn that anyone can take this hike to somewhere zhe could get well and truly lost without one. In fact that could be a challenge: try to get lost within half a day's walk of your home. Nonetheless, you will see things, amazing things, you have never seen before. Paradox Hike.

The Ultimate Merit of the Trip: the less you know about this already, the more you MUST DO this hike.

Happy New Year

SPOTMe!
John Sims #29528 01/02/13 05:34 PM
Just posted a few pictures of Agnew Meadows to Lake Ediza hike in the picture Gallery. A bit out of order. The first picture is a panorama of Lake Ediza, and should follow the two pictures of Shadow Lake.
Steve, if you could add them to my post nominating these two hikes it would be appreciated. Is there a way for me to edit an old post? If so, I can go back and add.
Thanks,
John

John Sims #29533 01/02/13 09:55 PM
S
S
John S wrote:
> Is there a way for me to edit an old post?

Yes. You should be able to now.

Those are absolutely beautiful pictures. I've not made that hike, but have hiked the JMT past the trail to the lake. The views are similar to those at Thousand Island Lake and Garnet Lake. Thanks for posting them.

Steve C #29536 01/02/13 10:50 PM
Hi Steve,
Thanks for unlocking, and for the complement on the pictures. Not too hard when the subject matter is so cooperative.

Pictures now included with original post. Not too surprising that these views are similar to Thousand Island Lake, and Garnet Lake. When we were deciding on doing this hike we seriously considered both of those destinations, but finally decided on Lake Ediza.

John Sims #30727 04/02/13 09:08 PM
W
OP Offline
W
The month of April is here, good weather is returning, Whitney permits are being discussed, other hikes are being planned, and theoretically the readership of this board is increasing.

The winter doldrums are over. The participation in the nominating for the "Top Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do" (TTUSDHYMD) had dwindled to zilch because of them. So I let nature take it's course and decided to wait until now to revive this important job!

Here is the original post in this thread which inaugurated the nominations thus far.

Looking back at the rules in the original post for this competition, it is apparent that # 9, # 11, and # 12 need to be revised, and are hereby replaced with the following:

9. The nominating period will commence upon posting of the original post and end on June 30, 2013.

11. An alphabetical list of all nominated day hikes will be maintained by Whitney Fan and posted in a new thread throughout the nominating period.

12. A voting period will extend from 12:00 AM July 1, 2013 until 12:00 AM August 1, 2013.

(Please review all the rules in the original posting if you are new to all this.)

So fellow Whitney Zone members, are we up for this or what? Although we have a nice selection of nominations thus far I feel it can be and should be improved -- I'm sure that lots of eminently qualified hikes are probably still missing. Previous nominators -- think some more! New participants -- join in the fun!

Let's have a robust three months of interest in nominations followed by the important final voting in July. Have we got enough of a base in membership on this board to get this done or not? The final results will only be as good as the participation in this warrants -- let's wind up with a GOOD and CREDIBLE listing of these hikes that all of us, including non-board members, can look up to and aspire to.

Whitney Fan #30863 04/09/13 04:52 PM
W
OP Offline
W
???

Whitney Fan #30890 04/11/13 11:23 AM
R
R
Uh.......OK.

RenoFrank #30903 04/11/13 10:45 PM
W
OP Offline
W
The translation of "???" is . . .

It's been over a week since this thread was bumped up with the exhortation that, after winter and it's apparently allied lower interest in hiking and reading about hiking, lets' now get busy again with nominations.

Sadly, there has not been one.

Paradoxically, when the thread was first started, it and subsequent posts generated the 24 hikes that are currently nominated.

It is what it is (or will be). Will this board have the readership to make this whole thing viable? Or -- as it currently looks -- not?

Whitney Fan #30915 04/12/13 07:03 PM
R
R
I for one appreciate all nominations. I will consider attempting some of these hikes based on their proximity to me and how they suit my interests and abilities whether they are voted into the top ten or not. Thank you for this thread.

RenoFrank #30917 04/12/13 11:00 PM
S
S
And I have several on the list planned for this summer! Trip reports will be forthcoming.

Steve C #30918 04/12/13 11:04 PM
C
C
Any takers of Crow Pass be sure to let me know...

Chicagocwright #30920 04/12/13 11:09 PM
S
S
> Any takers of Crow Pass be sure to let me know...

Crow Pass would definitely be on my list if I were heading to Alaska. We're going north this summer but not THAT far. smile

Steve C #31038 04/22/13 07:44 PM
W
OP Offline
W
This thread was bumped up on April 2 -- one day short of 3 weeks ago. The idea was to start some interest again in nominating hikes for eventual voting to see what this board thought constituted the Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do (TUSDHYMD).

On April 11 I noted that no nominations had been made despite over a week having passed.

It is now April 22 and that fact remains -- no nominations in 20 days.

It appears that the initial enthusiasm for all this last fall was the limit of any interest.

As I said on April 11, it is what it is. It appears that although this board certainly has high membership, readership, and interest, it does not have high ENOUGH membership, readership, and interest to sustain the process and objective of finalizing a credible and authoritative TUSDHYMD.

It appears that a wider forum is necessary, and that this whole idea would have better traction if initiated and conducted by, for example, "Backpacker" magazine, or REI via in store promotion, or, well, I guess there could be a number of possibilities. But right now, again, not to this board's discredit so much as a fact of life -- not enough of a base to nominate and subsequently vote here.

It appears we should formally cancel the "contest". If we can't get nominations then we can't get votes once the nominations are finalized or, if we can, what value can they have with such apparently low interest?

Comments? Barring any brain storms to show me otherwise, I think it's best to cancel the process. We had some fun with what happened to date, and the nominated hikes are an interesting read for sure, but to pretend this can continue with the original intent is fighting reality, no?

Whitney Fan #31040 04/22/13 10:11 PM
S
S
It is what it is, Whitney Fan. I appreciate the trip write ups in the thread. I don't think there necessarily needs to be a "winner", since we are all individuals, and we each can pick from the list.

Message board readership has declined significantly over the past several years, most likely due to the emergence of Facebook and the availability of a large number of hiker forums.

But what we have here is a valuable source of ideas and information. It is good, all is well.

Steve C #31041 04/23/13 05:03 AM
I think the situation is more one of timing. There are a lot of nominations in and a lot of discussion of them, but the voting is not until what, June? May be too late, now, but voting should follow immediately, at peak of interest and activity.

Also interesting note by Steve: Since I joined just over two years ago, WHA membership has gone from under 400 to over 1000. Intetesting that readership has gone down in the same period. Maybe the channel surfing attention span phenmenon at work here, but I think if voting had followed the initial spurt of nomination interest, you would have a very different result. Why not collate the nomination results and have a big splashy finale to the process, post a summary and hold the vote, before we are all off on the trail for the summer?

SPOTMe!
Whitney Fan #31042 04/23/13 06:37 AM
D
DUG Offline
D
My favorite day hike that I ever did was Onion Valley to Kings Canyon Roads End and BACK in 23 hours 15 minutes. Somewhere around 44 miles and 9K of elevation gain for the day. (almost all of the gain is on the way back) I started at 12:01 am and was hallucinating in a light rain coming back over the pass. Not everyone's cup of tea.

One that's on my bucket list and has been done by many already is the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim. I've done as two day hikes, spending the night at the North Rim Lodge but it felt like we were cheating.

Forester Pass and back from Kings Canyon Roads End is a good warm up for more extreme day hikes. Its 42 miles and over 8k of gain.

Laura and I always talked about doing Whitney from Onion Valley in a day. She tried it and almost had it. I guess it's time for me to give it a go.

I won't be offended if none of mine are considered. My idea of a "day" hike isn't the same as other folks. I like to use all 24 hours in a day..............................DUG

saltydog #31043 04/23/13 08:49 AM
Why not collate the nomination results and have a big splashy finale to the process, post a summary and hold the vote, before we are all off on the trail for the summer?

Even though this has not garnered the level of interest I expected, it has resulted on several hikes on my horizon that otherwise would not have been there.

I second Salty's suggestion.

John Sims #31044 04/23/13 04:16 PM
One other request. Would someone who has done Langley please nominate it, so I can "check it off" my list this summer?

John Sims #31045 04/23/13 04:55 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Langley is on our list for this summer. If you want a good work out here's another favorite -

Happy Isles to Half Dome and then over to Cloud's Rest to look down at Half Down and back to Happy Isles.

This used to be our first hike of the season to work out the kinks until they started with the permits.........................................DUG

DUG #31046 04/23/13 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: DUG
Langley is on our list for this summer. If you want a good work out here's another favorite -

Happy Isles to Half Dome and then over to Cloud's Rest to look down at Half Down and back to Happy Isles.

This used to be our first hike of the season to work out the kinks until they started with the permits.........................................DUG

I've done half dome a number of times, but never cloud's rest. Did you do both on the same hike? Up half dome, back to the JMT and then on to Cloud's rest, and then back to Happy Isles? What was total distance?
Thanks,
John

John Sims #31047 04/23/13 05:25 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: John Sims

I've done half dome a number of times, but never cloud's rest. Did you do both on the same hike? Up half dome, back to the JMT and then on to Cloud's rest, and then back to Happy Isles? What was total distance?
Thanks,
John

Doing Cloud's Rest with Half Dome adds almost nine extra miles. Right around 24 total I think. It is over 7000 feet of gain if I remember correctly adding in the trip up to Half Dome and the drop back to the junction.

A good first hike of the season.................................DUG

DUG #31052 04/23/13 09:11 PM
Thanks DUG,
Very similar stats to Whitney Main Trail. Comparable distance, but lower altitude. Guess I need to add Cloud's Rest from either Happy Isles or Tioga road to my list. If from Happy Isles I'll likely skip Half Dome, if for no other reason than the permit requirement.
John

John Sims #31053 04/23/13 09:39 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
The Whitneyish numbers are why we used it as an opening hike. Whitney was usually our second hike before we moved on to bigger and slightly dumber things. We would finish up in late Sept with a hike that was 48 hours long. The shortest one of those was Whitney from Kings Canyon Roads End.

Then there was Whitney from Roads End via Colby when I carried two cans of cake frosting for food.

We did Whitney from Mineral King once.

And our last hike together was a 72 mile loop of Kings Canyon that went horribly bad.

Now I hike with my son and don't feel he is ready for 20+ straight hours. Maybe next year................DUG

saltydog #31054 04/23/13 09:57 PM
A
A
Also interesting note by Steve: Since I joined just over two years ago, WHA membership has gone from under 400 to over 1000. Intetesting that readership has gone down in the same period.

You'll notice that most people join only to ask a question and never come back. Some are thoughtful, but most are, "do I need crampons"..."is the trail clear of snow"...People ask, but never even follow up and post their own TR or a conditions report for the benefit of other hikers or climbers.

Langley is on our list for this summer.

Just Langley or Langley/Whitney? I'd be interested in joining you for a long day of Langley>Whitney and arrange some sort of shuttle if you're ever looking for another person to share in the pain (work permitting of course). smile

John Sims #31057 04/23/13 11:33 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: John Sims
Thanks DUG,
Very similar stats to Whitney Main Trail. Comparable distance, but lower altitude. Guess I need to add Cloud's Rest from either Happy Isles or Tioga road to my list. If from Happy Isles I'll likely skip Half Dome, if for no other reason than the permit requirement.
John

Shoooot, John, if you do Half Dome before they put up the cables, you don't need a permit. I recommend it! ...but adding Clouds Rest? No, not this year. smile

Anonymous1 #31060 04/24/13 06:57 AM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: 2600fromatari
Also interesting note by Steve: Since I joined just over two years ago, WHA membership has gone from under 400 to over 1000. Intetesting that readership has gone down in the same period.

You'll notice that most people join only to ask a question and never come back. Some are thoughtful, but most are, "do I need crampons"..."is the trail clear of snow"...People ask, but never even follow up and post their own TR or a conditions report for the benefit of other hikers or climbers.

Langley is on our list for this summer.

Just Langley or Langley/Whitney? I'd be interested in joining you for a long day of Langley>Whitney and arrange some sort of shuttle if you're ever looking for another person to share in the pain (work permitting of course). smile

We are planning to go from Onion Valley towards Cottonwood with side trips to Whitney and Langley. Since it is for a scout patch (not merit badge) it has to be at least 5 days...................................DUG

Chicagocwright #33467 09/26/13 12:20 PM
C
C
Plan on attempting a Crow Pass Hike this weekend with a friend-Friday/Saturday. Anchorage and the area just got a big dump of snow a few days ago so it will be interesting. I spoke with a Ranger and there are reports of a 4 foot snow drift at the top of pass. We are overnnighting this trip to give us extra time to explore one of the glaciers. Weather has warmed up to 40-50's and we expect rain. Bears will also be looking for their last meals before their long sleep. Hopefully I have some pictures to post Saturday or Sunday.

Originally Posted By: Chicagocwright
Crow Pass is a one way trip through the Alaskan Chugach Mountains from Girdwood to Eagle River following the historic Iditarod supply route. The route is 21 miles with the 2,100 ft. of elevation gain coming entirely in the first few miles. Perhaps most importantly, there is a significant river crossing of Eagle River about 13 miles into the hike. The river is a glacial river and will be extremely cold---estimated 33 degrees. Depth varies from knees to waist. Most hikers will carry an extra set of shoes for this portion of the trip. Day-Hikers will not have the advantage of crossing the river at the preferable early morning hours before the glacial melt swells the river later in the day. As you would expect, warm days will cause the river crossing to be deeper.

The hike will include traversing small snowy sections of glaciers and moose, caribou, dall sheep, and of course bears are prevalent. Bear spray is almost mandatory on this hike. We took 11 hours to complete the hike. An annual race is held where the winners finish in less than 3 hours. The trailhead is a 40 minute drive from Anchorage and the finishing trailhead is about 30 minutes from Downtown Anchorage.

River Crossing Video
[video]http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/trailcrossing.mp4[/video]

Crow Pass Trail Guide

Finally here is a link to my photo album of the hike and a few pictures:

Crow Pass Album

Anyone remember the scene in Jurassic Park where the group is travelling across a big open meadow with very tall grass and the velociraptors start picking them off one by one? Our group of five recalled that scene as we intermittently cried out, "Hey Bear!"

Never dreamed I would be able to swim during a Crow Pass Hike. The weather was wonderful! (and this water was cold!)

The day after our hike a bear killed a moose on the trail. They closed the trail for two weeks due to the bear setting up his food cache right off trail.

Last edited by Chicagocwright; 09/26/13 12:21 PM.
Chicagocwright #33474 09/26/13 04:26 PM
G
G
Yeah, that looks awesome! Have a great time!

Chicagocwright #33479 09/26/13 09:45 PM
S
S
Good luck on the trip! I'm hoping you come back with some good pictures!

Steve C #33485 09/27/13 11:50 AM
C
C
Ranger said snow was waist deep on Monday but appears to be at 4,000 ft. now. Our peak elevation is 3,800. The rain has gotten rid of a lot of the snow. I am only taking Katoohlas.

Leaving in 15 minutes...overcast now but supposed to be sunny tomorrow. A little nervous about the cold night tonight.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard