Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (bruce), 23 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3128 Members
13 Forums
5151 Topics
48348 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#29413 - 12/18/12 11:53 PM Yosemite road trip
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
Last weekend, I took my family on a little road trip, with an overnight in Groveland, where we met up with extended family.

But part of the trip was to try out my new plug-in Chevy Volt on a mountain drive. The car sure keeps me impressed. Chevrolet did a great job creating an engineering wonder. The car runs up to 40 miles on its batteries, then automatically and smoothly switches over to its on-board generator. It even has a mode where it will charge the batteries and keep a reserve when needed for mountain grades. If anyone has driven the "Old Priest Grade" road near Moccassin, it's a cool 2-mile 14% grade, climbing from 1100' to 2400'. The car cruised right up, with plenty of acceleration if I had wanted it.

A fun part of the trip was something new: Four wild turkeys lurking along the road, waiting for cars to stop. I recognized them as beggars, so we stopped, and they obliged by coming up to the car.

I had to install tire cables at the Hwy 120 Yosemite park entrance. Such fun! frown   Yosemite is pretty in white.

We stopped at the Crane Flat gas station to add 3 gallons to the tank. Here's the gas station attendant -- sitting on the post next to the car. Turned out to be another beggar.

Snow buddy

Deer at the Ahwahnee Hotel

Enjoying the world-famous view

#29422 - 12/19/12 10:07 PM Re: Yosemite road trip [Re: Steve C]
Whitney Fan Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Not fair! Having more fun than me! (Currently contending with unfathomable roadblocks and hassles trying to refinance my mortgage.)

#29469 - 12/23/12 10:03 PM Re: Yosemite road trip [Re: Steve C]
lynn-a-roo Offline

Loc: OrangeCounty
Lucky you...getting a new car...sounds like the Chevy Volt is nice to drive and performs well too. Sure does look nice. You're also fortunate to live so close to Yosemite. I love all the photos you took....the turkeys are so cute...the deer too and it is neat to see water flowing at Bridal Veil Falls....or was it frozen? A nice family holiday outing...your pretty little girl looks so happy. Thanks for sharing.

#29474 - 12/24/12 09:39 AM Re: Yosemite road trip [Re: Steve C]
mrshherrera Offline

Loc: Hills of Granada, CA
Very jealous!!

#29602 - 01/12/13 08:47 PM Re: Yosemite road trip [Re: Steve C]
alanw Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
What kind of tire cable you use for the Chevy Volt? I have the same car and I will drive to Yosemite this Winter. Thanks.

#29603 - 01/12/13 08:57 PM Re: Yosemite road trip [Re: alanw]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
Originally Posted By: alanw
What kind of tire cable you use for the Chevy Volt? I have the same car and I will drive to Yosemite this Winter. Thanks.

I just walked into a local O'Reilly Auto Parts store and picked up what they had: Laclede "Cable Chains" (part# 1038). Note that they are NOT chains -- chains would tear up the car's fenders or fender well.   See this writeup in the Chevy Volt forum

I'm really lovin' that car. ~2000 miles on it so far, and it has a lifetime mileage of 61 mpg on gasoline. And that includes a 500-mile trip on gasoline-only where it got 30 mpg.

What's your mileage so far?

#29605 - 01/13/13 08:17 AM Re: Yosemite road trip [Re: Steve C]
alanw Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Great info. Thanks. I have about 2000 miles on the car, mostly on electric only, about 250 mpg. It is an amazing car.