Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Grow Up or Go Home
wbtravis #30892 04/11/13 01:14 PM
S
S
On a lighter note...

I was talking with a couple of guys during my workout yesterday, and one related that he was planning to hike Whitney this year, and I mentioned my Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim plans. That got him to recall a story:

A number of years ago, his brother-in-law made the trip through the Grand Canyon with rafts. As was required, their group carried their poop along on the trip, so they had a 5-gallon bucket with a plastic bag full-o-sh!t. At the end of the trip, they packed up all their gear in vehicles, and the 5-gallon surprise got transferred into a VCR carton. (This was back when VCR's were new and expensive.) They taped it all up so the contents would stay packed well inside.

Somewhere along the way home, some thief broke into their vehicle, left all the camping/river gear, but stole the VCR box! :D

MooseTracks #30893 04/11/13 01:58 PM
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
Any visitor to the wilderness becomes, by default, its steward. Let's try to act like it.

like!

The Mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir
Steve C #30894 04/11/13 03:34 PM
W
W
On even a more lighter note...

Ran across this article about the first turd in space problem.

3 guys in Apollo 10 and some solid waste is floating around and all claiming it's not theirs. smile

A description of the first wag bag system:

The Apollo astronauts had a rudimentary system for disposing of solid waste — basically, by doing their business in a bag, sealing up the bag, kneading it to mix in disinfectant, and then putting the whole thing in a waste receptacle. The process required "a great deal of skill"

wazzu #30895 04/11/13 03:48 PM
H
H
here is a possible solution, although it takes staffing

when I was on Aconcagua, we were given a burlap sack. it had to come back with trash and be presented at the park entry on exit, otherwise , a very hefty fine.

could the same be done with wag bags? bring it back used or unused,but bring it back. Would that work? lots of logistics and manpower to do this, but I think the hefty fine was something like $200 and made it work well in Argentina. Not sure about here in the land of crap-entitlement

MooseTracks #30901 04/11/13 10:06 PM
J
J
We preach to the choir- the lazy and ir-resonsible aren't aware of these web sites, let alone read them. Its all about them, what they want, and they're entitled because their mothers told them they are 'special'. More and more visitors to the outdoors are clueless as to the environment into which they go-and behave like they do in their 'normal' environment.

If I were to dump my trash or deficate in their yard- I'd get sued; yet they don't think twice to do that in our yard. 'Our' includes them- since its public lands. One on one education in varying methods hopefully will 'eat the elephant'-one bite at a time. But its worth it; because the alternative of letting their ignorant and bad behavior damage the outdoors- to me is unacceptable.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard