Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chances to do a successful day hike as a beginner
#31503 05/23/13 05:58 PM
N
OP Offline
N
So me and my friend thought that would be an awesome experience to hike Mount Whitney at the end of June. Although the more I read about it, the less sure about that we can make it one day.

We both in our late twenties, in good shape. We both have long day hiking experience. And I think I can safely say that the same trail on normal altitude wouldn't be a problem for us.

We would arrive early the day before the hike and do a practice hike to lone pine lakes. Rest and try to get used to the high altitude a bit. We would prepare with Diamox / Ibuprofen and drink a lot of water all the way. I know that we'd have better chances with longer acclimatization, but unfortunately we won't have more time to spend in the sierra. (Maybe next year ;))

We'd start around 1:00am with tracking poles and light backpacks.

What do you think, what are the chances of making a successful day hike?

Re: Chances to do a successful day hike as a beginner
nemeseri #31505 05/23/13 06:23 PM
82.5 %

Last edited by Yury; 05/23/13 06:24 PM.
Yury #31506 05/23/13 07:21 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Well thanks! I started to think that our chance is quite minimal. It's really empowering! Or maybe I just couldn't see your sarcasm.. :)

I forget to point out that we don't have any high altitude hiking experience, but we plan to do at least 2-3 long warmup hikes before the trip (unfortunately not on high altitude).

nemeseri #31507 05/23/13 07:39 PM
So far I tried to reach Mt. Whitney summit three times, and all attempts were unsuccessful.

I assume that you hike faster than me and that you have a better likelihood of success. :)

However your mileage may vary because you never been at 14K altitude and do not know how you tolerate that altitude.
For some people proposed acclimatization schedule is OK, other people may need several days to have sufficient acclimatization.

You invested a lot of time in research and selected the best hiking approach (1:00 AM start and slow and steady hiking is recommended by Doug Sr. on another forum and in his book).
You have a rather decent chance to succeed.

Last edited by Yury; 05/23/13 07:44 PM.
Yury #31508 05/23/13 08:03 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Thank you Yuri, I will post an update how it went.

nemeseri #31509 05/23/13 08:46 PM
Hey Nemeseri, Great to hear of your interest to climb Whitney, but in response to your question, there is no honest way to answer you question on probability of success without knowing more about yourself and partner.

Have you done much climbing/hiking above 10,000ft before or higher? What does "long hiking experience" mean?

If you've never been to that altitude before or on any long (15mi+) climbs above 13,000ft with decent vertical gains (5,000ft+) carrying a pack, I'd suggest waiting on Whitney until you can get up to the Lone Pine area with 2-3 full days before your anticipated climbing start and budget a rest day up high the day before your targeted Whitney climb. You could be fine and have zero problems hiking up and down in one day, but you could also have a really bad day if you came down with AMS or worse.

Better to prepare better and have an extra day than to rely on pharmaceuticals to get you up and down, though Diamox should, on paper "help" your body get you up the mountain theoretically.

Altitude does funny things to "fit" people sometimes and it's hard to predict how you'll feel when exerting yourself up high.

While "just a walk up" on the Main Trail, Whitney can punish the unprepared and doesn't care if a climber is short on time.

Have you climbed San Gorgonio or San Jacinto? If not, since you only seem to have two days (?), I'd recommend looking into those to peaks first - they're both wonderful climbs and will get you to 11,000+ft. White Mountain Peak (14.265k) would be a great test of altitude for you, and while shorter (15mi), will let you see how your body reacts up high.

Cheers and Good luck!

nemeseri #31511 05/23/13 09:04 PM
C
C
I know the feeling of a time cramped schedule. The best advice people give always includes more time for acclimation. But sometimes that just isn't possible. It wasn't possible for me two different times taking red eye flights to California and attempting Whitney. The first time I crashed---but even if I had not been able to make the summit the second time I still don't regret how I did it. Frankly, there was no other choice.

You said you both have "long day hiking experience". If that is true, I think your chances are pretty good. I went into the Whitney hike last year in the best hiking shape of my life. I've ran several marathons. I was in great shape. I even had done a 12,000 foot hike the previous year. But all my hiking last year was at sea level up to 5,000 feet in Alaska.

I then experienced altitude sickness at about 12,000 feet in Whitney and got very sick--headaches, vomiting, dizziness. My level of fitness didn't matter. My 67 year old dad was fine. On my second attempt I attempted to get a little more rest, I used Diamox, and I concentrated on deep breathing. And I made the summit with no problem at all.

nemeseri #31514 05/23/13 10:20 PM
S
S
nemeseri, guessing from your posting location, you are on the central Calif coast. If that is the case, you could get over to Yosemite and climb Mt. Dana the weekend before you go to Mt Whitney. It starts the climb at almost 10,000', and goes to 13,000' so you would at least get some exposure to high altitude. While you would not be that high for as long as Mt Whitney, you would at least expose yourself to a similar elevation.

You could head over Tioga Pass the night before and sleep in or by your car (there's a secluded turnout across from Ellery Lake, 1/4 mile from the Saddlebag Lk road.)

Even if you hike Mt Dana, Mt Whitney is a bigger beast. You will be higher for longer, so that gives the altitude longer to act on your system. You could be lucky like some, and not feel any effects. You won't know until you go and try.

I think you should go for it, and get up as far as possible. Just remember, the mountain isn't going anywhere. If you don't go all the way, the trip will be well worth the learning experience. Then next time, you will better know what to expect.

nemeseri #31517 05/24/13 02:17 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thank you all for the great suggestions and help! It's so awesome to see that everybody is so friendly! :)

In general I feel that it might be a great adventure with the possibility to succeed. I feel we are perfectly fine to turn back any time, we would consider it as a preparation for a second attempt.

nyker: thanks for your advice! no we don't have any high altitude experience. That's the main reason I'm so unsure about our success. Both of your suggestions are awesome, but unfortunately I'm based in San Francisco and both of those peaks are quite far from me. Although instead of Mt. Whitney we will consider those this June. I will read about those peaks and then decide what to do.

Chicagocwright: that's really promising, thank you for sharing. I will try to expose myself to higher altitude and see if I need diamox. But it's really good to know that you had positive experience with it.

Steve C: wow! Mt. Dana seems such a perfect warm up hike! I have no idea how I missed during searching for hikes before Mount Whitney. I think I will definitely take your advice and see how sensitive I am to AMS.

nemeseri #31520 05/24/13 07:11 AM
W
W
Why Diamox? You have stated you do not have high elevation experience thus no experience in properly dosing this drug.

nemeseri #31524 05/24/13 08:56 AM
S
S
If you have any trouble on Mt Dana with altitude, Mt Whitney will definitely be worse. I have never had trouble on Mt Dana probably because (1) it is 1500' lower than Whitney, and (2) the time spent at higher altitudes on Mt Dana is much less.

But I do have trouble on Mt Whitney without some preparation/acclimation.

nemeseri #31526 05/24/13 11:18 AM
All of the above - except you might want to think about that leg-stretching "warm-up" hike the day before Whitney. While it sounds good in theory, it can come back to haunt you the next day. Ideally, the day before a big hike you want to rest.

I would strongly second Steve's suggestion of Mt. Dana the weekend before your Whitney hike. It's a significantly shorter hike than Whitney, but steeper and more rugged - if you can handle it and the altitude, you'll likely be fine for Whitney.

nemeseri #31528 05/24/13 04:39 PM
N
OP Offline
N
wbtravis: because that's the best drug to minimize the chance of AMS. Althought if I can make a tour before whitney to mount dana I will definitely see if I need it or not.

Bulldog34: yeah, I think mt. dana would be perfect. If I feel the bad there, I will prepare with diamox. If it works out fine, I will still bring ibuprofen with me, because it might be enough to help a bit on the day of the hike. We'd really just spend hours at lone pine lake the day before and move around a bit. Nothing serious.

wbtravis #31532 05/24/13 05:40 PM
C
C
[quote=wbtravis]Why Diamox? You have stated you do not have high elevation experience thus no experience in properly dosing this drug. [/quote]

You know that brings up a great question. As noted here, my dad and I climbed Dana at the end of the Summer the year before our Whitney hike. Neither of us had any problem. I got to Whitney and the first time crashed. The second time, I used small doses of diamox (I think 125 but can't remember for sure if I have the measurement right) for a few days before they hike. I had no symptoms at all on the second hike. But can I say for sure it was the Diamox? I don't think so. Do I automatically take Diamox before any high altitude hike from now on? I just don't know. It is likely that I won't have time to acclimate on my next high altitude hike so I will probably just take it. That said, I've got innumerable peaks to climb here that won't ever take me over 7,000 ft with up to that much in elevation gain (starting at sea level).

Given a good discussion with a doctor, it is advisable for someone who will not have time to acclimate to take Diamox on a first time try? Even with my own experience, I don't feel qualified to answer that question but I lean toward yes.

Chicagocwright #31539 05/25/13 11:12 PM
C
C
Just take your time, don't rush and don't think that failing to summit is failing. The Whitney trail is awesome. If your goal is to do your best and have fun while enjoying the beauty then you will come away successful. My failed attempt ended at trail camp where I enjoyed a full moon shining off of the granite mountains that was awesome and just when I thought it couldn't get any better I got a sunrise that actually made me a bit emotional. Enjoy the sounds and smells when you begin before sunrise, they are fantastic. Enjoy the switchbacks wondering what the crew that built them were thinking about. If you make it to the top and back down, that is just icing on the cake.

nemeseri #31543 05/26/13 09:37 AM
W
W
[quote=nemeseri]wbtravis: because that's the best drug to minimize the chance of AMS. Althought if I can make a tour before whitney to mount dana I will definitely see if I need it or not.

Bulldog34: yeah, I think mt. dana would be perfect. If I feel the bad there, I will prepare with diamox. If it works out fine, I will still bring ibuprofen with me, because it might be enough to help a bit on the day of the hike. We'd really just spend hours at lone pine lake the day before and move around a bit. Nothing serious. [/quote]

Yes it is the best drug and as someone who has been taking for over ten years I know a bit about how serious this drug is and how many take it without clue how to dose it or what the side effects are. Side effects, I might add, that can stop you dead in your tracks...say like dehydration.

If I were a physician, I would not prescribe this drug to a patient unless the patient had experienced AMS.

wbtravis #31625 06/02/13 08:12 AM
D
D
Hi Nem

We had a first timer group of seven last year - ages for 22 to 56. Six of us made it to the top and back in a day hike. The only one that didn't make it was the one that didn't take the high altitude preventative medications. We are all from sea level areas and we started at 1:30AM under a full moon and it was a great experience. We were all convinced we would make it. From Trail Crest to the top was far harder than I expected, I thought the switch backs would be the hardest. Just take your time and enjoy the experience. I want to go again!

Bay Area Doug
Doug #31665 06/05/13 08:26 AM
S
S
Hi Nem,

I am still what I call a newbie, but that only means I can give you a first-timers perspective. In my experience (this will be my third year) training and acclimitization are the key. The first year I went, we had a group of 8 who trained like crazy. We did weekly trips to 1000 steps Beach (actually 231 steps) in Laguna Beach to get a good weekly climbing burn. We followed that up with monthly hikes to Mount Baldy (10,000' with a 4,000' gain in about 4 miles). We were physically well trained before we went up to the Whitney Portal. We did a practice hike to Cottonwood Lakes two days before our Whitney attempt. We slept at the Portal Campground from Friday night through our hike date of Wednesday (left the Portal at Midnight Tuesday). Sleeping at altitude is essential, I have been told.

Among out group of 8, five took Diamox. My son (19 at the time), his best friend I did not take Diamox. We rested the day of the hike and took a five hour or so nap before beginning our hike. We had perfect weather and a bright moon lit the trail. However, we had trouble almost immediately. You can read my Trip Report here.

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/17573/8_10_Trip_report_The_Crazy_8#Post17573

3 of us did it last year under similar circumstances, and we changed it up by leaving the portal at around 10:30 p.m. with the intention of summiting at sunrise. We achieved that goal, but were pretty fatigued by the time we hit the portal again in the early afternoon. This time, nobody used Diamox and we had little to no altitude issues.

The keys for us were training, acclimitization and making sure we took in plenty of calories and water while on the trail. We rested once every hour and enjoyed the beauty and one another's company.

For me, Whitney is less of a physical challenge and more of a mental challenge. We have permits for August 22 and camp site reservations at Whitney Portal for the week. It will be both of my sons and a close friend making this trip. We are prepared to turn around at any sign of altitude sickness because two of our hikers have never attempted a hke above 10,000'.

It's about the journey and the comaraderie more than anything else. Summiting would be icing on the cake.

Last edited by socalwingnut; 06/05/13 08:28 AM. Reason: Typos

Link Copied to Clipboard