Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Inyo hiking recommendation
#31558 05/27/13 07:16 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Hi,

My friends and I have 4-5 weekdays during the july 4th week to do some hiking in the Inyo area. Originally wanted to do whitney but all the permits are reserved. After some research I saw that Langley and White Mountain Peak were some feasible options for us. Since permits for Langley (cottonwood lakes and pass) are also reserved, how likely is it for us to get walkin permits on a busy time such as july4 week, and are there alternate routes to Langley peak (besides cottonwood)?

Our plan B would be White Mountain since that doesnt require permits but it's rather short and the scenery doesnt look as good as the other hikes.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a multi day hiking trip (3 to 5 days) or any other hikes that we can do in case walkin permits dont pan out. We are amateur hikers did Rainier (up to camp muir) and half dome so we cant do any of the harder 14ers.

Thanks.

Re: Inyo hiking recommendation
easyrider #31561 05/27/13 10:59 PM
S
S
Welcome, easy! Actually, your plan "A" should be to try for walk-in permits for Mt Whitney! There are quite a few cancellations and no-shows, and their permits do become available. Check the Unused Permits 2012 page. If you walk into the Visitor Center about 8:30 the day before you want to hike, you are likely to get permits from people dropping a person or two from their reservations, as they pick up permits.

Then on the day OF the hike, at 11 AM, the no-shows are made available for overnight backpacker permits. Day hike permits are a little different, but it is all described in the "Wilderness Permit Options" (link to the left) in Step 6.

As for Langley, the Cottonwood Lakes quota is 60, with 24 reserved for walk-ins, which become available at 11 AM the day BEFORE your hike starts.

So, I'd try for A. walk-in permits for Mt Whitney, B. walk-in permits for Mt Langley, and C. White Mountain.

If you try for A at 8:30 (and every half-hour after that) the day before, and then B at 11:00, it is unlikely you will be skunked.

And one more thing: In the two weeks before you arrive, set up a bookmark to check the July permit availability for Mt Whitney for that week,and check it often, a few good people will log in and release their reservations if they decide not to go. So you might get a reservation that way.

Steve C #31565 05/28/13 08:11 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks. i think you've solidified our plan of attack for this trip :)

easyrider #31568 05/28/13 10:12 AM
W
W
What Steve said and...

Don't give up Whitney. You might be able to stroll in and get that permit and be on the trail the same day, I did that once in mid-July and was offered a 4th July permit one year when I was joking up with the staff at ESIVC.

Langley will most likely be doable via New Army Pass this 4th of July weekend, I did once on this weekend after another dry winter.

White Mountain is a day hike, no permit required.

easyrider #31580 05/29/13 07:21 AM
B
B
Remember, Mt. Whitney is not the only game in town. If you go north on Highway 395, there are multiple trails out of the Independence, Big Pine and Bishop areas.

You might consider the North Fork of Big Pine Creek to the Palisade Glacier. Spectacular views from the foot of the glacier and a beautiful approach. Also Dusy Basin, via Bishop Pass is a worthy multiday trip.

Check the Inyo Forest White Mountain Station website for trail condition. While most of the trails have quotas, there are always open permits for walk-ins. http://www.fs.usda.gov/inyo.

Wag-bags not required outside of the Whitney "drainage." LOL

Steve C #31581 05/29/13 08:01 AM
Also, re: Langley - unless there's something new this year, you don't need a permit for Langley if you do it as a dayhike. A permit is needed for overnights.

easyrider #31596 05/29/13 08:32 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks everyone for the confirmation and suggestions! Palisades glacier and dusy basin look like good alternatives for us

Link Copied to Clipboard