Next Thread
Print Thread
Rats/Rodents at Trail Head
#31980 06/25/13 01:42 PM
R
RadGnar Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am convinced that a rat/squirrel/ or other rodent crawled up in my engine compartment while hiking Whitney 2 weeks ago. No damage really was done except they chewed up some of my insulation to make a nest somewhere.

I am heading up to Horseshoe Meadow this weekend and was wondering if there were any other precautions I could take to avoid this problem? I know rodents can do damage to the electrical system and want to avoid this problem as much as I can.

Cody

Re: Rats/Rodents at Trail Head
RadGnar #31985 06/25/13 03:42 PM
B
B
Rodents will sometimes try to build nests in engine compartments, because it is warmer there and safer from predators. Friends of mine who live in the San Gabriel Mountains leave their car hoods open at night; that seems to deter the varmints.

Re: Rats/Rodents at Trail Head
RadGnar #31995 06/26/13 01:38 AM
This is classic, although subtle, Trailhead Marmotry.

Its a graduate level skill acquired by lowland marmots who are more comfortable in heavily vehicle-infested areas, than in talus-and-summit-pack terrain. A more common form of the art involves ignition wires: the use of the insulation shows a restrained, subtle, more impressionistic touch, probably the work of a younger, more avant-garde and perhaps next- generation Marmota flaviventris.

At Horseshoe, the Mineral King School of Trailhead Marmotry may have indeed taken hold, and this leans heavily toward electrical work: crude, aggressive, unimagnitive, but reliable. Sort of the Elvis on Black Velvet of Marmot art.

I have always wanted to wrap chicken wire or that really tacky highway orange plastic safety fence that all of the better ski areas and road crews love so much around the tires and underbody of a rental car. Or a good, heavy spray of fresh Stoddard solvent on every accessible surface under the hood

Or maybe if you leave a bag of Skittles on the exhaust manifold (don't forget its there)they'll leave your wires alone.

I have no idea if any of this will work: I just bet you are dealing with marmots and wanted to get the conversation started on a positive note.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!

Link Copied to Clipboard