Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TR: Mt Whitney (second time is the charm)
#32569 08/03/13 10:19 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Permit was approved for 8/1 so I drove up from LA to Lone Pine last Monday.

I stopped by the VC and picked up my permit that day. Got the usual speech on bear awareness and proper use of wag bag.

Tuesday and Wednesday were spent at Horseshoe Meadow going from Mulkey pass to Trail Peak to Cottonwood pass. Beautiful weather all along, sunny and hot.

Off to bed early (7pm) on Wednesday. Woke up at midnight. Gulped down 2 cups of coffee and drove up to the portal. Surprised two deers (well, they surprised me too) in the parking lot. Started at 1:37am.

My wife got me a Nike GPS watch so I decided to use it and map out my jaunt. Sadly, I'd forgotten that (some) electronics and cold don't mix : it went bye-bye around 12,400 ft. I went minimalist on my gear: light pack, two 24 oz bottles, 4 gels, one Steripen, space blanket, satellite phone (rented it) and wag bag.

Uneventful climb to Consultation lake. Got to watch the sunrise and started the switchbacks in a sea of orange and pink. It was real neat.

Nearing Trail crest, the wind coming over the side was incredibly cold. Saw two wag bags that got dumped down towards Guitar lake. I tried to see if I could get to them but it was too steep for my taste. Legged it to the top and summitted at 9:35am. Very, very windy with wind chill temps in (I'm guessing) the low 40's. Compared to last year, the summit was almost deserted. Two guys and myself were there.

Started back down after taking down two gels. Once I got past Trail Crest, temps jumped up considerably. I went from wearing a wind breaker, gloves and ski hat to t-shirt, cap and shorts.

I ran out of water around the last switchbacks. Water was gushing out from under the rocks so I decided to refill my bottles. Problem is that my Steripen would not even turn on (fresh batteries -- cold+electronics?). The heck with it. Looked for a clean spot and refilled my bottles anyway. Minimal silt in the water but was so refreshing (I am still waiting for the after effect of unfiltered water. Nothing).

Then I screwed up between Consultation and Mirror lakes. Not sure how I managed to do it but I ended up bushwacking (sp?) down a nasty incline for what felt like an hour. Finally found the trail after coming down the side of a cliff under the puzzled looks of a couple of hikers.

Near the portal, a guy asked me for my permit. He said that the VC had given away all the walk-in permits for the day. I gave him mine. I figured no harm done.

Got back to my car around 3:50Pm.

The bacon cheese-burger/beer from the portal store was a blessing.

Pictures below were taken with a GoPro camera. They probably suck (still learning how to use it) but I wanted to share:

--HorseShoe Meadow

--Mt Whitney

Last edited by ChrisInLongBeach; 08/03/13 11:23 AM.
Re: TR: Mt Whitney (second time is the charm)
ChrisInLongBeach #32571 08/03/13 09:20 PM
N
N
Congratulations!

ChrisInLongBeach #32573 08/03/13 11:06 PM
S
S
Chris: Thanks for the report and the pictures.

Staying several days and nights at Horseshoe Meadows is a great way to get ready for the altitude.

Lots of people dip and drink the water, especially that place on the switchbacks. You won't have any problems.

ChrisInLongBeach #32574 08/04/13 05:55 AM
Originally Posted By: ChrisInLongBeach
Then I screwed up between Consultation and Mirror lakes. Not sure how I managed to do it but I ended up bushwacking (sp?) down a nasty incline for what felt like an hour. Finally found the trail after coming down the side of a cliff under the puzzled looks of a couple of hikers.

Congrats Chris! Don't feel too bad about that unplanned detour - people get off track in that area often, especially in the slabs above Mirror Lake. The trail becomes indistinct in several places. Most of the shortcuts on the trail involve bypassing all the various switchbacks in favor of a semi-direct route up/down some of the steeper slabby areas. You may have blazed a new shortcut that'll be named after you!

ChrisInLongBeach #32576 08/04/13 09:41 AM
HI Chris,
Sounds like you had a great hike, and a good time. You might want to see about exchange of Nike GPS Watch. I cannot imagine that "on your wrist" it would fail due to temp.
Congratulations!

ChrisInLongBeach #32577 08/04/13 10:01 AM
Chris

Congratulations!

Love that shot of the Whitney sign...Did you get a picture of the summit log?

You will suffer no ill effects from drinking that water at the switchback #23...it is the headwater of a stream you crossed a couple of times. At that spot the water is snowmelt that the granite already filtered for you...

Again, congratulations...bravo zulu...

Journey well...
Bulldog34 #32578 08/04/13 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

Congrats Chris! Don't feel too bad about that unplanned detour - people get off track in that area often, especially in the slabs above Mirror Lake. The trail becomes indistinct in several places. Most of the shortcuts on the trail involve bypassing all the various switchbacks in favor of a semi-direct route up/down some of the steeper slabby areas. You may have blazed a new shortcut that'll be named after you!

Call it Chris' Crossing.. grin

Journey well...
Steve C #32579 08/04/13 11:26 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Chris: Thanks for the report and the pictures.

Staying several days and nights at Horseshoe Meadows is a great way to get ready for the altitude.

Lots of people dip and drink the water, especially that place on the switchbacks. You won't have any problems.

Last year, I followed your advice about HM for acclimatization and this year about dipping/drinking in the last switchbacks.

Thanks a million, kind sir! smile

John Sims #32580 08/04/13 11:36 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: John Sims
HI Chris,
Sounds like you had a great hike, and a good time. You might want to see about exchange of Nike GPS Watch. I cannot imagine that "on your wrist" it would fail due to temp.
Congratulations!

Thanks, John! grin

That's the weird part, I put it to charge the day I got home and for a whole night, nothing. Now, it is working just fine. And I did not bump it against anything, nor did I submerge it in water...

Exchanging it seems to make the most sense....

Bulldog34 #32581 08/04/13 11:42 AM
C
OP Offline
C

Thanks, Man. The funny part is the couple that witnessed me coming down the nasty slab asked "is this where we have to go??"...I could not help but laugh.

Last edited by ChrisInLongBeach; 08/04/13 11:44 AM.
+ @ti2d #32582 08/04/13 11:43 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d

Call it Chris' Crossing.. grin

Actually, it was more like "Wait, what? Aw, man, how the (expletive deleted) did I manage that? Oh Well. Let's do it." crossing.

The water was awesome, by the way. Besides, it seems to be kind of no brainer, really. Don't refill near areas that look or smell dodgy.

And yes, got a picture of the summit log.

Last edited by ChrisInLongBeach; 08/04/13 11:48 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard