Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Don't Feed The... Rangers?
#32699 08/12/13 06:42 PM
OP Offline

"You are going to laugh when you see what I pull out of this bear can..."

I glanced over at Betsy as we strolled above Chicken Springs Lake, headed across the sandy trail towards Rock Creek. After all, it was she and Jack who gave me the idea of hauling in a care package for my backcountry mountain family. Rob and Laura Pilewski have become dear friends, and I could think of no better way to spend my weekend than to pack into Rock Creek (where Laura is stationed now), which, for me, was uncharted territory.

Gee: a new area in the Sierra, accompanied by another great lady and friend (Betsy called me Friday night to see what trouble I was getting into this weekend and ask if she could tag along!), hauling all sorts of fresh goodies?

This was a no brainer.

The stars aligned, the weather was perfect, the views sublime, and we had the greatest luck in that both Laura and Rob were at Rock Creek for the night!! Betsy and Laura poured over botany books; Rob and I talked story and plans for the coming winter. We feasted on turkey tacos and guacamole, home-made brownie cookies for dessert. Huddling around their small table in the cabin, the only light from two small candles, we laughed into the night. As Betsy and I lay out our cloths and snuggled down in our bags, a huge flaming star ripped across the night sky.

In the morning, pancakes were paired with fresh berries, eggs cooked in the grease of crisping bacon. The creek gurgled by the cabin, and around 1100, Betsy and I finally trudged back up the trail. We looped all the way up and over New Army Pass, then out via the South Fork Lakes. As the last light faded, we rode the sand down from the stock yards to the waiting TOF, glad we didn't have to dig out my light from deep in one of the two bear cans in my pack.

Next time you see them, be sure to thank Rob, and all the other rangers, for the jobs they do.

And Jack, sorry about getting your wife home late last night... wink

Rest of the pics are here.

From the luckiest girl in the world:
Climb Hard. Be Safe.

-L cool

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Re: Don't Feed The... Rangers?
MooseTracks #32702 08/12/13 08:42 PM
Bee Offline
Is this the same Rock Creek area that you once wrote about the incredible wildflowers?

Indulge us some time and take a series of pictures as you pack the bear can crazy

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
MooseTracks #32703 08/12/13 09:02 PM
P
P
Go Moose! Love the reports. Miss the antlers. Your writing always makes me want to move to Bishop to be closer to the mountains we all love.

Pijiu & The Man #32719 08/13/13 01:02 PM
OP Offline
Bee, I think you're thinking about McGee Creek, although Rock Creek (N) is up above Bishop. It's where we started (Mosquito Flat) for our trip over Mono Pass.

As for packing the bear can: that's top secret. Safe to say I'm the daughter of an engineer and packing is a specialty... ;-)

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #33186 09/11/13 06:50 AM
K
K
Laura:
Thanks for narrative and the pics of Rob & Laura! I missed all my fav rangers in my last month trip. Dave and Dario exchanged places and missed Dario at McClure meadow though I camped very close to the RS. Then at Rae lakes Dave was not in that day. We did try visit Rob at Crab tree but the RS was under renovation and we could not even access the spring close to the RS. So missed handing over an apple my friend carried from OV. Jack at WP some years back told us to take apples to the Rangers who dont get much fresh food thru all summer and I usually do take some!
Thanks for the word paintings you always make!
Krishna

Link Copied to Clipboard