Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Aug. 5-8, 2013 - Mt. Whitney, Slowly
#32687 08/11/13 03:30 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Here's a link to my trip report / photo journal for August 5-8, with summit day on August 7:
http://mtwhitneyslowly.wordpress.com/

This was the first time any of us had been on Mt. Whitney. We wanted to savor a lot of the beautiful things along the way, and maximize our time at high altitude pre-summit attempt, so we planned a deliberately slow trip. We spent Aug. 4 at Horseshoe Meadow, then August 5 at Lone Pine Lake, and Aug. 6 & 7 (pre- and post-summit) at Consultation Lake, before hiking out on the 8th. I also spent a night on Mt. Baldy the week before.

A big highlight for me was meeting and talking with Bob Rockwell (see photo in my journal) - he walked by as we were having lunch at Trailside Meadow. Another was hiking with an irrepressible and enthusiastic 12-year-old.

We had perfect weather for our entire trip, which I recognize is a wonderful gift.

-Betty

Last edited by bettywouldgo; 08/11/13 03:59 PM.
Re: Aug. 5-8, 2013 - Mt. Whitney, Slowly
bettywouldgo #32688 08/11/13 07:38 PM
S
S
Nice report, Betty. That's really cool that Eric could enjoy his peanut butter sandwich at the summit. Most people have a tough time eating anything! I am sure it was a big help to take your time getting to the top in three days.

bettywouldgo #32690 08/12/13 07:27 AM
B
B
Want a beautifully journaled adventure! Really enjoyed the pics. Felt like we were there!

bettywouldgo #32691 08/12/13 07:49 AM
Originally Posted By: bettywouldgo
Here's a link to my trip report / photo journal for August 5-8, with summit day on August 7:
http://mtwhitneyslowly.wordpress.com/

This was the first time any of us had been on Mt. Whitney. We wanted to savor a lot of the beautiful things along the way, and maximize our time at high altitude pre-summit attempt, so we planned a deliberately slow trip. We spent Aug. 4 at Horseshoe Meadow, then August 5 at Lone Pine Lake, and Aug. 6 & 7 (pre- and post-summit) at Consultation Lake, before hiking out on the 8th. I also spent a night on Mt. Baldy the week before.

A big highlight for me was meeting and talking with Bob Rockwell (see photo in my journal) - he walked by as we were having lunch at Trailside Meadow. Another was hiking with an irrepressible and enthusiastic 12-year-old.

We had perfect weather for our entire trip, which I recognize is a wonderful gift.

-Betty

Spotting "Some Guy" in the Sierra Nevada (especially on the MWT) is like having a dream come true.

Bravo Zulu to all of you on your summit...

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #32704 08/12/13 09:52 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Steve C.: Yes, many of the things Eric did were cool, but also sort of annoying, since we adults were not breezing through everything quite as effortlessly.

Thanks, Blue Grouse and all, for the comments.

"Some Guy" is probably posting warnings about weird middle-aged-lady stalkers on the trail... And now that I've spent hours decipering "+ @ti2d," I'll know who to send all those license plate mysteries that keep me puzzled on the road.

I certainly appreciated all the great info / orientation notes on this site to help prepare for this trip. Very useful!

Betty

bettywouldgo #32706 08/13/13 07:38 AM
Originally Posted By: bettywouldgo
Steve C.: Yes, many of the things Eric did were cool, but also sort of annoying, since we adults were not breezing through everything quite as effortlessly.

Thanks, Blue Grouse and all, for the comments.

"Some Guy" is probably posting warnings about weird middle-aged-lady stalkers on the trail... And now that I've spent hours decipering "+ @ti2d," I'll know who to send all those license plate mysteries that keep me puzzled on the road.

I certainly appreciated all the great info / orientation notes on this site to help prepare for this trip. Very useful!

Betty

Think "positive attitude."

And Some Guy aka Bob R never has a bad thing to say about anybody...

Well, since this was your first time, you can bet it becomes a pilgrimage and you and your family will be back next year... grin

Journey well...

Link Copied to Clipboard