Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tahoe Hikers?
#32756 08/16/13 10:12 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I'm hoping some hikers familiar with the Tahoe Rim Trail read this forum. Does anyone know about the Marlette Peak campground: Does it have bear lockers? Is there a water source there? I am getting different information from online, a Tahoe Basin Ranger, and a TRT Org member.

Re: Tahoe Hikers?
RenoFrank #32759 08/17/13 11:59 AM
S
S
Hello Frank! I did the TRT a few years back. Marlette Peak campground is pretty plush. There are bear lockers and there is a water well about a tenth of a mile to the east of camp. It is a hand pump well and the water is clean and clear and ready to drink. No filter needed. There are picnic tables at each campsite as well as fire rings. Make sure you have your campfire permit. You can print one for free from the USFS website or pick one up at the USFS service office in the industrial area in Sparks. There are no reservations needed and campsites are first come first served. There are only 5-7 and can fill quickly on a nice weekend. There is one bathroom with a pit toilet. I stayed at the campground again last summer and nothing had changed. All the extras were still there.

Have a great time! Be sure to check out Christopher's Loop. Its not far from the campground. Head north on the TRT and watch for the sign. Stunning views of Lake Tahoe. Well worth the detour.

Sally702 #32766 08/17/13 11:21 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Sally, thanks so much for the info. The Ranger for Lake Tahoe Basin emailed me that there was not water. However, a member of the TRT Ass. emailed me that yes, there is water - no need to filter. I probably won't do any exploring because I'm just doing my best to complete the TRT this season. For some reason that is my wife's goal this year. Last week we went from Echo Lakes to Barker Pass. Luckily we encountered no smoke (or rain or bugs).

We have already hiked from Tahoe Meadows towards Marlette Lake and down Tunnel Creek, so Wed we will start at Spooner Summit, camp at Marlette Peak Campground and go down Tunnel Creek the next day. My wife and I have been up to Snow Valley Peak and also gone up to Marlette lake from Spooner Lake, then along the Flume Trail and down Tunnel creek. But that isn't the TRT so here we go.

RenoFrank #32777 08/18/13 05:48 PM
S
S
Frank, TRTA uses young adult interns that aren't as familiar with the trail as some of the older staff so I'd call and talk to someone rather than just email. They are always friendly and great about answering questions on the phone. As for the park ranger, I'd ask him specifically if he means that the well ran dry. I'm also in Reno so I'm aware of the record heat this year. Though it makes me wonder if he is even aware there is a well. Its maybe 5 years old, I don't remember for sure. Often, ranger jobs are seasonal and the rangers are not as familiar with the area as others. I have a friend with a BA in Wildlife who is a ranger and travels for his job. Sometimes, you can ask the people who run that little store at Spooner Lake, the ones who do the shuttle service for the mountain bikers. They talk to a lot of folks that have hiked and/or biked in the area and might know.

Christopher's Loop is a 1.2 mile loop directly off the TRT. If you have time, I really recommend reconsidering it. Unless you leave camp very late, there is ample time for this detour before heading down Tunnel Creek. That is the same exit route I did last summer. The view truly is stunning. Good for your wife on doing the TRT! And good for you for supporting her! That is awesome!! I also did it in segment hikes to celebrate turning 40. Last year I did Half Dome and last week I did Whitney.

Have a great time on the TRT! Its a beautiful trail. I don't know if this will work (I'm not message board savvy) but here is a link to a page with a picture of the view from Christopher's Loop.

Christopher's Loop

:-)

Last edited by Sally702; 08/18/13 05:57 PM.
Sally702 #33338 09/19/13 06:52 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I finally made it to Marlette Peak campground yesterday. Yes, I was happy to see the pump with potable water 'cause the nearest other water source was Marlette Lake some distance away. Next week I plan on doing the last TRT segment: from Ech Summit to Big Meadows over on 89.

RenoFrank #33360 09/21/13 10:55 AM
Way to go, Reno! Last segment of the TRT.

This little slideshow of the TRT should bring back some memories...
Tahoe Rim Trail 8 days in 3 minutes

Enjoy your finish line at Big Meadows and welcome to the 165 Club!

SierraNevada #33372 09/21/13 09:27 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I enjoyed your video, yes it brought back memories. I recognized that box with skis down in Ward Canyon. The weather for next Wed seems a bit cold and nasty for us to camp overnight so we will monitor the weather and maybe do those last 15 miles in a dayhike on Thursday. If you are interested check out my hiking videos on Vimeo (Frank Bursick). I have vids on Whitney, Yosemite including Half Dome, and my Canyon Tour which includes Zion Park, Bryce Canyon, and Grand Canyon.

Link Copied to Clipboard