0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thanks.
#33086 09/06/13 07:46 AM
OP Offline
This is a note of gratitude to Steve C., administrator of this site and Virtual Trail Angel of the Mt Whitney routes and all of their approaches.

On my recent JMT hike, this MB in general and Steve in particular provided support and guidance to me and especially to my loved ones in ways that went far beyond just enhancing the experience or providing interesting and useful information.

Steve's efforts through and around the MB supported my trip in important, material ways that could not have been provided by any other resource I know of. An example, but by no means the only instance, was Steve's expert handling of the SPOT failure, which happened to occur in the heart of the most difficult part of my trip. Steve's instant read on the situation - that it was likely a system failure and not any danger to particular hikers - proved 100 percent accurate, and that informed read, later confirmed, provided exactly the calming assurance that those watching SPOT tracks were suddenly most in need of. More, his follow-through to confirm the initial interpretation was invaluable.

The man has trail cred.

You don't do that just by administering an MB. As many have said here before in other contexts, its not the equipment that is critical, but having and using the right skills.

Steve's got the tools and uses 'em with skill and generosity. I thank him for that, and I know many others do, too.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Re: Thanks.
saltydog #33116 09/07/13 06:10 AM
OP Offline
AHEM! whistle

I said "I KNOW MANY OTHERS DO, TOO . . ."

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #33121 09/07/13 09:37 AM
S
S
You're sure welcome, Saltydog! It was fun watching your progress, and a bit of an adventure at this end to finally realize Spot was having trouble. Message boards like this are so much better than that other most popular social media site in that we can actually look up old messages and do some digging. I was able to find the Spot rep's original message where he posted a phone number to call.

However be aware there IS another side to the Spot-watching "sport". There are those who feel that taking high-tech electronics into the wilderness alters their "wilderness experience". I have even heard that from a Seki ranger. Then a few years ago, I caught flack from one Spot carrier for doing what I did with your trip: posting about the hikers' progress. Several people felt it was sort of an invasion of the hikers privacy.

Then there was the time my son was hiking the PCT up in Washington, and his group bailed off the trail, taking a side trail to exit due to trail hidden under snow and white-out conditions. A call to the ranger district was enough to find out the spur trail led to a closed area. The result was the hikers got a personal greeting, and help, from the ranger once they found their way out. That same incident caused several to comment on the "cyber stalking" issues. So there are wide-ranging opinions. I find it all particularly interesting along with fun and entertaining.

Wish I could be a real trail angel, or better yet, a long-distance trail hiker someday. But I need to get off this rat race treadmill of work and responsibilities to go there.

saltydog #33187 09/11/13 08:11 AM
R
R
I also thank Steve. My hiking buddies probably tire of me often quoting Steve's posts on the MB. I refer to him as the "super hiker" or "my hero".

RenoFrank #33362 09/21/13 11:17 AM
Yeah, thanks Steve. Professional computer skills, lots of wilderness experience, wide range of hiking knowledge, excellent people skills, and unfailing dedication. It's extremely rare to find all that in one person. Mucho appreciated.

Link Copied to Clipboard