Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sleeping Bag Advice
Bee #33468 09/26/13 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Bee
The one thing that I have learned from paling around with Special Forces members (with earned Arctic Expedition Badge) is that they don't aim for "ultra light" when it comes to packing -- they go for preparedness.

Laura is ready to sign up, as her approach is very much like the military folk I have learned from (better to have MORE than LESS)(realizing that what you bring is important, as inexperience may load up the pack with useless items)

the cuben fiber worshippers over at backpackinglight.com would crucify you if you posted that view over there laugh

I guess my distant paratrooper days in the military may be responsible that I now think a 45 pound pack is ultra light - anything lighter and I'd feel I am gambling at some end of my gear list. As long as I don't have to carry a machine gun and ammo crates up the mountain, it's vacation.

Fishmonger #33469 09/26/13 01:43 PM
Bought one of these back in January, still looking for the right opportunity to haul it in somewhere.

That way I can then make this.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #33471 09/26/13 02:49 PM
B
B
I'm an ultralighter, but I'm confident Laura that even with that skillet added to your pack, you would still leave me hiking in your wake;-)

Fishmonger #33475 09/26/13 05:07 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger

the cuben fiber worshippers over at backpackinglight.com would crucify you if you posted that view over there laugh

I wish I had a picture of my Army pack; it was made out of some sort of coated canvas with old-fashioned fabric webbing straps. It was square and and could bee adjusted from "insufferable" to "uncomfortable"...! Fully packed, it weighed 70lbs worth of rescue crap.

The whole "ultralight" thing has gone from sublime to idiotic on some levels (drilling holes in the spoon to make it "lighter") Yes, I can certainly appreciate packing efficiency, but I once observed an individual so uncomfortable on an overnighter, that I truly began to question his sanity (as he CHOSE to leave behind essential gear in exchange for making the summit about 45min ahead of the rest of the group (due to the fact that he was soooo "light") And, no, I did not offer to compromise my comfort by lending gear to mitigate his idiocy. (He was perfectly healthy and could have easily carried the extra 2lbs of down)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #33480 09/26/13 09:50 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
http://www.armytimes.com/article/2011021...too-much-weight

Quote:
A newspaper report says combat soldiers are carrying too much weight, leading to increasing injuries.

The report by the Seattle Times found that the number of soldiers medically retired from the Army with at least one musculoskeletal condition increased nearly tenfold from 2003 to 2009, according to Army statistics.

The heavy loads contributed to rising numbers of Afghanistan and Iraq war veterans retiring with degenerative arthritis, cervical strains and other musculoskeletal injuries. The newspaper estimated that disability benefits for these injuries exceed $500 million annually.

Quote:
An Army Science Board study in 2001 recommended that no soldiers carry more than 50 pounds.

Yet the Times said a 2003 Army study found that soldiers on extended foot patrols carry an average load ranging from 87 to 127 pounds.

A study led by a Johns Hopkins University researcher found that nearly one-third of all medical evacuations from Iraq and Afghanistan from 2004 through 2007 resulted from musculoskeletal, connective-tissue or spinal injuries.

That was more than double the number of evacuations from combat injuries.

Ken #33484 09/27/13 06:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken
http://www.armytimes.com/article/2011021...too-much-weight

Quote:
A newspaper report says combat soldiers are carrying too much weight, leading to increasing injuries.

maybe soldiers need to start drilling holes into their body armor to save weight

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard