Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What do you do for windy sleeping conditions?
Brent N #33462 09/26/13 07:50 AM
(Hey, Beeeeee: nice placement, but at who's request? wink I was actually going for the 'stern mom-like look' at the end of that sentence... )

There are a lot of considerations to make (or at least come to my twisted mind) after I read your story, Brent, and some that I really haven't totally taken into account myself before! Some have been superficially mentioned here, and others have popped into my head as I was sleeping. (Sometimes I wish I had the "off" switch to my brain...)

1) Reading weather reports is one thing. Taking a few moments to actually process the information (ie: wind? wind chill? gusting? calming? from what direction?) is something else entirely. I don't think people look much further than the little thumbnail at the top of the NOAA reports...

2) Health: only YOU can prevent altitude sickness. Honesty is always the best policy, and the warning signs are out there. And being honest actually means interpreting all the signals and allowing yourself the freedom to say, "Not today."

3) Group Think: oh, g-d help us all. Believe me, I've fallen prey to this much more often than I care to admit, most recently on my trip up the MR this past spring. And, unfortunately, I'd have to say that being a woman doesn't exactly help matters much, either. I still have people who don't believe I've done the little bit that I've done based solely on my body type! A group that doesn't consider and weigh all the opinions of the group isn't a group. And a group that isn't willing to support one of the members when they are struggling isn't a group. But the struggling member has to stand fast, which is REALLY REALLY hard.

I'm sure there are more perspectives, but I have to go to work...

-L
Another angle of my favorite campsite ever:

But the next night wasn't so bad, either:

Last edited by MooseTracks; 09/26/13 07:56 AM. Reason: Added pics

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #33464 09/26/13 09:18 AM
Bee Offline
When I saw yer <insert eye-roll here> I could not resist, beecause I had just used the "eye-roll", myself.

I will have to search the archive for a good stern face (there are tonZ)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #33466 09/26/13 09:28 AM
Ha! So crazy busy right now I don't even remember what the hell I'm typing anymore...

Wait... this could be fun... grin

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #33477 09/26/13 07:39 PM
H
H

In addition to Laura's bomber campsite, there is another way in other places:

Washburn had told us that you build igloos because they don't flap in the wind, and "because you have to go outside to find out what the weather is doing."

Jonathan Waterman, In the Shadow of Denali, page 35

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard