Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: TUSDHYMD: Ten United States Day Hikes You Must Do
saltydog #31054 04/23/13 09:57 PM
A
A
Originally Posted By: saltydog
Also interesting note by Steve: Since I joined just over two years ago, WHA membership has gone from under 400 to over 1000. Intetesting that readership has gone down in the same period.

You'll notice that most people join only to ask a question and never come back. Some are thoughtful, but most are, "do I need crampons"..."is the trail clear of snow"...People ask, but never even follow up and post their own TR or a conditions report for the benefit of other hikers or climbers.

Originally Posted By: DUG
Langley is on our list for this summer.

Just Langley or Langley/Whitney? I'd be interested in joining you for a long day of Langley>Whitney and arrange some sort of shuttle if you're ever looking for another person to share in the pain (work permitting of course). smile

John Sims #31057 04/23/13 11:33 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: John Sims
Thanks DUG,
Very similar stats to Whitney Main Trail. Comparable distance, but lower altitude. Guess I need to add Cloud's Rest from either Happy Isles or Tioga road to my list. If from Happy Isles I'll likely skip Half Dome, if for no other reason than the permit requirement.
John

Shoooot, John, if you do Half Dome before they put up the cables, you don't need a permit. I recommend it! ...but adding Clouds Rest? No, not this year. smile

Anonymous1 #31060 04/24/13 06:57 AM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: 2600fromatari
Originally Posted By: saltydog
Also interesting note by Steve: Since I joined just over two years ago, WHA membership has gone from under 400 to over 1000. Intetesting that readership has gone down in the same period.

You'll notice that most people join only to ask a question and never come back. Some are thoughtful, but most are, "do I need crampons"..."is the trail clear of snow"...People ask, but never even follow up and post their own TR or a conditions report for the benefit of other hikers or climbers.

Originally Posted By: DUG
Langley is on our list for this summer.

Just Langley or Langley/Whitney? I'd be interested in joining you for a long day of Langley>Whitney and arrange some sort of shuttle if you're ever looking for another person to share in the pain (work permitting of course). smile

We are planning to go from Onion Valley towards Cottonwood with side trips to Whitney and Langley. Since it is for a scout patch (not merit badge) it has to be at least 5 days...................................DUG

Re: FUN NEW GAME!
Chicagocwright #33467 09/26/13 12:20 PM
C
C
Plan on attempting a Crow Pass Hike this weekend with a friend-Friday/Saturday. Anchorage and the area just got a big dump of snow a few days ago so it will be interesting. I spoke with a Ranger and there are reports of a 4 foot snow drift at the top of pass. We are overnnighting this trip to give us extra time to explore one of the glaciers. Weather has warmed up to 40-50's and we expect rain. Bears will also be looking for their last meals before their long sleep. Hopefully I have some pictures to post Saturday or Sunday.

Originally Posted By: Chicagocwright
Crow Pass is a one way trip through the Alaskan Chugach Mountains from Girdwood to Eagle River following the historic Iditarod supply route. The route is 21 miles with the 2,100 ft. of elevation gain coming entirely in the first few miles. Perhaps most importantly, there is a significant river crossing of Eagle River about 13 miles into the hike. The river is a glacial river and will be extremely cold---estimated 33 degrees. Depth varies from knees to waist. Most hikers will carry an extra set of shoes for this portion of the trip. Day-Hikers will not have the advantage of crossing the river at the preferable early morning hours before the glacial melt swells the river later in the day. As you would expect, warm days will cause the river crossing to be deeper.

The hike will include traversing small snowy sections of glaciers and moose, caribou, dall sheep, and of course bears are prevalent. Bear spray is almost mandatory on this hike. We took 11 hours to complete the hike. An annual race is held where the winners finish in less than 3 hours. The trailhead is a 40 minute drive from Anchorage and the finishing trailhead is about 30 minutes from Downtown Anchorage.

River Crossing Video
[video]http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/trailcrossing.mp4[/video]

Crow Pass Trail Guide

Finally here is a link to my photo album of the hike and a few pictures:

Crow Pass Album

Anyone remember the scene in Jurassic Park where the group is travelling across a big open meadow with very tall grass and the velociraptors start picking them off one by one? Our group of five recalled that scene as we intermittently cried out, "Hey Bear!"

Never dreamed I would be able to swim during a Crow Pass Hike. The weather was wonderful! (and this water was cold!)

The day after our hike a bear killed a moose on the trail. They closed the trail for two weeks due to the bear setting up his food cache right off trail.

Last edited by Chicagocwright; 09/26/13 12:21 PM.
Chicagocwright #33474 09/26/13 04:26 PM
G
G
Yeah, that looks awesome! Have a great time!

Chicagocwright #33479 09/26/13 09:45 PM
S
S
Good luck on the trip! I'm hoping you come back with some good pictures!

Steve C #33485 09/27/13 11:50 AM
C
C
Ranger said snow was waist deep on Monday but appears to be at 4,000 ft. now. Our peak elevation is 3,800. The rain has gotten rid of a lot of the snow. I am only taking Katoohlas.

Leaving in 15 minutes...overcast now but supposed to be sunny tomorrow. A little nervous about the cold night tonight.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard