Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recent SAR ops
#34104 11/26/13 06:54 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Two local SAR operations this past weekend:

http://www.sierrawave.net/27514/hikers-stranded-by-snow/

Re: Recent SAR ops
Bob West #34106 11/26/13 12:34 PM
S
S
Wow! It appears the two ignored the weather forecasts!

Possibly since the winter has started out so dry, the forecasts did not predict much snowfall -- I believe I saw predictions for a few inches around Whitney. But then this storm was more of an east side storm, which is not typical -- most come directly across the Sierra from the west-northwest, so dump most precip on the west side.

I know I saw wbtravis talk on Facebook writing that most of the S-facing slopes would probably melt/dry off soon, I think also doubting there would be much show.

But the report of the rescue shows how wildly wrong weather forecasts can be: Neck-deep snow around Upper Boy Scout Lake, and two avalanches. With that much snow, avalanches can be guaranteed! From reading the report, it sounds like these two guys were likely within a mile of each other, but neither one knew where the other was!

I'm really glad they were both found and rescued. With the storm conditions, and snow conditions, if they hadn't been found when they were, they might not have melted out until spring.

From the news release and Sierra Wave:
Quote:
On November 24, 2013, at about 10:40am, the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department received a telephone call regarding a stranded hiker near Upper Boy Scout Lake (located at the base of Mt. Whitney).

According to the reporting party (Pamela McKeown) her husband, James McKeown, called her in the morning to let her know he was neck deep in snow and could not get down the mountain. Pamela said James woke up Friday morning (11-22-2013) and had to dig his way out of his tent because he had about five feet of snow on him. Pamela said that James did not have any food, water, warm clothing, or shelter due to James leaving all of his gear behind in an attempt to get off the mountain. James was supposed to meet his friend David Webb at Iceberg Lake but never met up with David. Inyo County Sheriff’s Office received further information that David Webb may also be in trouble.

At about 1:20pm, CHP helicopter H-40 located James McKeown. H-40 was able to rescue James and transport him to Southern Inyo Hospital to be treated for frost bite, hypothermia, dehydration, and exhaustion.

At about 1:40pm, H-40 located David Webb and transported him to Southern Inyo Hospital for treatment of frost bite and exhaustion.

A further interview indicated that David Webb went to Iceberg Lake to meet James McKeown. After the snow storm hit, David said he decide to climb down the mountain to get back to his vehicle. As David was walking down, he was hit by an avalanche and buried up to his neck. David said he lost all of his supplies in the avalanche. Once David was able to dig himself out, he got hit by another avalanche. David said he was about to give up when H-40 found him.

Thank you Inyo SAR and CHP H-40 for your quick response and assistance!

Steve C #34118 11/27/13 03:56 PM
Report from the Fresno Bee

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #34121 11/27/13 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga
Report from the Fresno Bee

the Fresno Bee folks would also get lost up there:

"McKeown decided to walk to the Boy Scout Lakes area (about 100 feet below Iceberg) to find Webb."

laugh

Steve C #34122 11/28/13 11:32 AM
W
W
Steve,

The south face of Cucamonga Peak was clear by Monday...like I predicted. Onto bigger and better things...

You have to prepare for the worst, period. Snow was in the forecast, a foot here in our locals and always more as you go north and higher. So, if they looked at that, it should have given them pause.

One did not take snowshoes, the other left them in the car. You have to have enough gear, clothing and food to be able stay put until someone gets there to save you when things go terrible wrong. If their shelter had not been compromised (and I don't know if it was or was not), they should have stayed put. Eventually, the one gentleman's wife would have reported them late.

Ellen Goodman stayed in the warming hut on San Jacinto for a night or two during a storm so bad, that winds hardened the snow on the trail rather let it accumulate...I was up there the day of her rescue.

They got very lucky.

Link Copied to Clipboard