Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Solar Energy
CMC2 #35079 02/03/14 12:49 AM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: CMC2
Steve, the groundhog predicts 6 more weeks of Winter. Does this also mean 6 more weeks of Solar Energy posts?

Maybe it has run its course here and those really interested could e mail or PM each other?

I think Bee has the best idea and normally I do ignore & skip, but since today was 2/2 I couldn't resist.

I bee-lieve that as long as the conversation does not contain any vulgarity or direct personal attack, it should be allowed to run its course. Eventually -- as in the case of myself -- people will withdraw from the topic and it will fade away on its own. There is enough data space available, so there is no risk of THAT sort of overload. I do not want to act like a dictator and decide that what other people have to say is irrelevent because I have become bored with the conversation. It is so much more agreeable to walk away when disinterested.

It would be nice to know what people are doing outside these days, but I guess those conversations are reserved for the Facebook crowd?

I just finished watching Jeremiah Johnson for the umpteenth time; I love that movie. Has 41 years really passed that quickly?

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #35080 02/03/14 08:13 AM
Bee, the whole basket of apples is not ruined. People can ignore the nonsense (as I am going forward) and find some good information on solar energy (the title) in these pages. Such as:

- A large solar energy project coming to the Owens Valley
- SoCal Edison's plans for more solar in Owens Valley
- Data on how fast prices are falling for solar energy
- New technology breakthroughs in production and storage
- Reports on the future of solar energy by multiple sources
- How conservatives are teaming with environmental groups to "Tell the Utilities Solar won't be Killed" (TUSK)
- How all branches of the military are implementing solar and renewable energy to save money and improve our defense.
- Report showing Climate Change is #4 national security threat

Someone could Google this stuff, or find some interesting source info on solar energy right here. Just scroll through the loud echo chamber of distraction intended to hijack this topic into a dozen different directions. Ignore the taunting accusations and laugh at the psychic predictions about what others are thinking. If nobody takes anymore of that nasty bait (and it looks like I was the last one to drop out), maybe that part of the thread will end before the Groundhog comes out for spring.

Last edited by SierraNevada; 02/03/14 09:25 AM.
SierraNevada #35081 02/03/14 09:43 AM
W
W
SN,

AM Radio playbook, oh my. What exactly is that? You claim some expertise in this field but then again, you say you don't listen to it, so how can you know the playbook.

What I've gotten so far from you. Solar is good, oil companies are bad and should be treated differently than every other company in the United States. I list multiple reasons why solar and wind for that matter are a bad idea, such as, it inefficient use of capital and flight of jobs...your response is the matter of fact you are wrong everyone knows and you are a lying AM radio listen bully and the rules of supply and demand are different than the accepted normal definition...I get it. You don't want full throated debate you want to call names and post pictures.

Thanks for exposing yourself as stage one thinker incapable of thought beyond solar good, oil bad.

I'm done. You can now continue with silly ad hominems.

Bee #35082 02/03/14 10:21 AM
Holy Smokes! I think this thread has set a WZ record in a number of categories, not the least of which would be for venom. It rivals the infamous "Guns in National Parks" topic of a few years ago. I was shocked to check in this past weekend after a week's absence, and see this debate still going strong - I fully expected it to have died out quite a while back. Dear God, please don't let it have innumerable lives like the solar toilet subject . . .

Bee's right, though - it should be allowed to run for as long as people see a reason to participate. I'm sure there's a thread-locking line somewhere, but until it reaches that point - well, let's face it: there's just not a lot of Sierra-related material being posted this winter. I do have to admit though, this thread has begun to exhibit a degree of train-wreck fascination - I primarily check in on the topic nowadays to see who's currently getting bloodied up. Sad, I know . . .

While we're on the subject of energy, did'ja know the first new commercial nuclear reactors built domestically in over 30 years will be cranking up here in Georgia relatively soon? Southern Company's Vogtle Power Plant is currently constructing two more reactors and expects them to be operational by 2016. Who needs solar when you've got nuclear (or is it nuke-ya-lur)? Everyone can agree on that, right . . . ?

Bulldog34 #35083 02/03/14 10:26 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Everyone can agree on that, right . . . ?

Bulldog, you tryin' to hijack this thread again?? wink

Steve C #35084 02/03/14 10:38 AM
Hey, the way I see it Steve, we've already survived the Zombie Apocalypse and the Snowpocalypse. What's a little fallout after that?

Steve C #35085 02/03/14 11:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Everyone can agree on that, right . . . ?

Bulldog, you tryin' to hijack this thread again?? wink

Bulldog, you missed this link Tea Party Fights for Solar in Red States about the Tea Party joining forces with the Sierra Club to go with solar instead of those new reactors. It got buried in you-know-what, but it's one of those interesting stories. I think it's refreshing when the extremes from both sides can agree on anything anymore.

“Some people have called this an unholy alliance,” said Debbie Dooley, founder of the coalition and a co-founder of the Atlanta Tea Party Patriots. She’s working with the Sierra Club to fight for solar and against nuclear power in Georgia. “We agree on the need to develop clean energy, but not much else.”

If you're serious about discussing nuclear energy, please start a new thread so the solar information in this thread is not buried any deeper. Thanks.

SierraNevada #35086 02/03/14 11:53 AM
Make no mistake, SN, I have about as much desire to start another politically-charged thread as I would to juggling hand grenades blindfolded. That comment was simply a tongue-in-cheek observation designed to bring a little levity to a thread sorely in need of some light diversion. It was not meant seriously, even though it's obviously a very serious matter.

To your point, we should celebrate every opportunity where red and blue temporarily shuck their allegiances and find common ground for the good of America. There's precious little enough of that in Washington nowadays - or elsewhere in the country. Policy debates turn out much like this thread - ideas are tossed around, dialogue degenerates, positions become entrenched (often along party lines) and the end result is a kind of guerrilla warfare more focused on nuance and nit-picking than substance.

Personally, I just feel a bit despondent when I see this. Here we go again: left versus right and very little accomplished from the messiness.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard