Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 114 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Water filtration
#35506 03/27/14 02:51 PM
hike500 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here in the desert I don't have much of a need for filters or Aqua Mira as I usually have to carry all my water. My question is since this is a one time trip and I don't want to invest much money on a filter would Aqua Mira be helpful on this trail or do I need to look at a filter such as the Katadyn Hiker. My plan would be to use to different bottles and keep swapping them out as the chemical needs roughly an hour in the cold stream water. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Kevin

“Any thoughts of guilt, any feelings of regret, had faded. The desert had baked them out.” - Stephen King

Re: Water filtration
hike500 #35507 03/27/14 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: hike500
Here in the desert I don't have much of a need for filters or Aqua Mira as I usually have to carry all my water. My question is since this is a one time trip and I don't want to invest much money on a filter would Aqua Mira be helpful on this trail or do I need to look at a filter such as the Katadyn Hiker. My plan would be to use to different bottles and keep swapping them out as the chemical needs roughly an hour in the cold stream water. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Kevin

I used one of those Sawyer Squeeze water filters from REI last year during my one day trip. I plan on using it again this year on my overnight. They come in varying sizes and can be as cheap as $24 @ REI. Walmart is also carrying something similar but YMMV.

hike500 #35510 03/27/14 03:46 PM
S
S
Kevin, you are welcome to treat or do whatever you like, but just so you know...

I just dip and drink, and so do a number of others.

From the "Important Links" post (first one in the "Reference" forum):

Water discussions (Drink untreated, or filter/treat/boil/etc.)
  Water and Giardia around Mt. Whitney
  60,000 Liters of Water Consumed -- Untreated
  Filter question (links to studies, etc.)

Steve C #35512 03/27/14 04:55 PM
W
W
I use a Steripen on the MMWT but nowhere else high in the Sierra. I know what the studies say and I respect Bob Rockwell. There are just too many "bad" people on the MMWT for my tastes...I've seen way too many WAG Bags "unattended".

hike500 #35514 03/27/14 05:07 PM
H
H
I just got back from the Main Trail 2 weeks ago and didn't treat any of my water. So far my bowels seem to be behaving. Granted it is winter and there was no one else up there:)

hike500 #35515 03/27/14 05:08 PM
I've hiked from one side of the Sierra to the other for hundreds of days without filtering and drinking from nearly every type of source without any issues. None of that means that you cannot catch something but we all roll our own dice.

RoguePhotonic #35523 03/27/14 09:45 PM
hike500 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
I've hiked from one side of the Sierra to the other for hundreds of days without filtering and drinking from nearly every type of source without any issues. None of that means that you cannot catch something but we all roll our own dice.

Sounds like taking a small amount of chemical should do the trick. I did find an article today on the recommended water sources on the trail. Thanks for all the above advice!

“Any thoughts of guilt, any feelings of regret, had faded. The desert had baked them out.” - Stephen King

hike500 #35527 03/28/14 12:56 AM
Bee Offline

Sounds like taking a small amount of chemical should do the trick. I did find an article today on the recommended water sources on the trail. Thanks for all the above advice!

Be sure to try out the chemical at home, first, if you have not used it before. If it tastes too awful, it may discourange you from wanting to drink water.

I agree with WB that the Whitney main trail has become a uniquely impacted area (that may not remain in line with the pristine reputation of high sierra water quality due to the ubiquitous WAG bag presence.)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #35528 03/28/14 02:40 AM
hike500 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bee

Be sure to try out the chemical at home, first, if you have not used it before. If it tastes too awful, it may discourange you from wanting to drink water.

I agree with WB that the Whitney main trail has become a uniquely impacted area (that may not remain in line with the pristine reputation of high sierra water quality due to the ubiquitous WAG bag presence.)

Thanks for the heads up, I have used Aqua Mira before with a little flavoring and I didn't notice the taste much. I have used a filter before on the trail and if it weren't for the cost and extra weight I would probably just pick another up. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard