Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Training hike suggestions - coming from Monterey Bay Area.
#35631 04/01/14 07:35 PM
S
Salty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Howdy! grin Been lurking the forums for a while, finally decided to sign up to get some advice. I'm looking for a few training hike suggestions that are:

-Within driving distance of the Monterey Bay Area (day trip or weekend overnighter)
-Start at a fairly high altitude
-Somewhere to familiarize myself with an ice axe and crampons around late April-May (doesn't have to be the same hike)
-Dog friendly is a huge plus

I was drawn for a four day Whitney Trail permit for the last week of June. Went ahead and bought snow gear "just incase". Even if I don't need it come June, having it allows me to expand my hiking horizons - stoked on that. I've been day hiking about 100 miles a year for the past three years in the Santa Cruz Mountains and Big Sur area, but there's not really any snow or altitude worth mentioning crazy. If all else fails, I'm just going to do some backpacking in Big Sur before Whitney comes around (along with my usual gym, cycling, etc,) but I'd love to see some altitude and snow if I can.

Thanks! smile

Re: Training hike suggestions - coming from Monterey Bay Area.
Salty #35633 04/02/14 02:34 AM
Tahoe (Donner Pass off 80 or Carson Pass off 88) are probably closest bets for 10K plus and snow. Plus Tahoe just got a pretty big dump, which will consolidate at some point and make for good conditions. But if you have no snow skills, may want to take a class and also learn about avalanche issues.

Can take snow skills classes from providers out of the Eastern Sierra (Bishop), Tahoe, and Shasta. Ditto re avalanche training. Doing a guided climb of Shasta is one way to learn snow skills...the providers in Shasta are set up to teach basic skills over a 3 day/2 night climb.

Probably won't need major skills/equipment for a late June Climb this year....

Akichow #35681 04/07/14 04:55 PM
S
Salty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Much appreciated. :-)

If anyone else has any advice, I'm all ears.

I hit some local trails in the Santa Cruz mountains the past two weekends. On yesterday's hike I carried the new Deuter pack I bought and familiarized myself with my Sawyer Squeeze filter. Good stuff, I'll probably ditch the bag the Sawyer came with though. Considering just routing it through my hydration bladder.

Last edited by Salty; 04/07/14 05:02 PM.
Salty #35682 04/07/14 07:15 PM
Just came back from Carson Pass on Sunday. Continuous snow coverage starting from the pass. Could definitely practice your skills on Roundtop Mountain.

Here is Lake Winnemucca

Here is Roundtop itself.

Might have some company on some of the slopes in the afternoon.

Akichow #35684 04/07/14 08:02 PM
S
Salty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Great info! Thanks!

Salty #35686 04/07/14 11:31 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Salty
I'm looking for a few training hike suggestions that are:

-Within driving distance of the Monterey Bay Area (day trip or weekend overnighter)
-Start at a fairly high altitude
-Somewhere to familiarize myself with an ice axe and crampons around late April-May (doesn't have to be the same hike)
-Dog friendly is a huge plus

Salty, Once Tioga Pass opens, you could drive there in about 5 hours from Monterey. I know some people will sleep overnight in their car just outside the park -- some "old road" turnouts available. From Tioga Pass, Mt Dana offers some good high altitude, and if you hike in to the east side of Dana, there is some major "ice axe and crampons required" climbing, more than you would encounter on Whitney.

You could take the dog on the east side of Dana, but the normal hiking route (north side directly from Tioga Pass) is inside Yosemite N.P.).

Tioga opens sometime in May, but since this winter has been so dry, it may open earlier.

Steve C #35695 04/08/14 06:38 PM
B
B
The Dana glacier is a popular ice climbing spot. If you head in to the glacier (check a map) try to avoid the masses of willows on the approach or you will spend a lot of time bush-whacking.

There are is a nice camping area just below the glacier.

Bob West #35770 04/11/14 09:10 PM
S
Salty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Great info guys! Dana is officially on my to-do list, icy or not.
Would I still expect to see snow and ice up there in early May?

I'm heading off into the Ventana this weekend to get some miles in and familiarize myself with some of my new gear. Quite excited. smile

Salty #35778 04/13/14 09:28 AM
B
B
Yes, there might be a little snow at that altitude. Bears roam through that area.

Ventana! My favorite winter backpacking area when I lived in Sillycone Valley. Beware the savage Raccoons!

Link Copied to Clipboard