Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thousand Island lakes on Memorial day weekend?
#35983 04/23/14 09:50 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi,

I know this is Whitney forum , but Thousand island lake is in the same general region, so thought about asking for some guidance.. smile

We are thinking of thousand island lake on memorial day weekend as a day hike. Dont plan to stay overnight in the wilderness.

Will the trail be cleared of snow?

Any thoughts?

I couldnt find any link to check the current trail conditions...is there any online update about it?

Re: Thousand Island lakes on Memorial day weekend?
bay_area_hikers #35992 04/23/14 02:26 PM
I would argue it's not the same general region but that is still ok.

I really don't know if the trail will be clear of snow. If you take the PCT it's mostly exposed so it should melt quicker but that area in general just gets more snow than anywhere else in the Sierra.

You might also have the problem of the road even being open down to Agnew Meadows unless you plan to start at Silver Lake.

bay_area_hikers #35996 04/23/14 04:57 PM
Try High Sierra Topix.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
bay_area_hikers #36003 04/23/14 11:49 PM
S
S
BAH, a day hike in to T.I. Lake and back is a full day. And you can't fully appreciate the lake unless you walk at least half a mile along its shore to see the islands and its beauty.

I would think you will have patches of snow, where the trail is in shady trees. But that is only a guess. It shouldn't be too much trouble, though, since snow that late is well consolidated, so you should be able to walk over it.

Definitely take the PCT (higher) trail, as it is up out of the trees. I would call the ranger station in Mammoth and ask about the road conditions before you go. As Rogue said, it might not even be open.

Just for fun here's a report for you: Kayaks on Thousand Island Lake

Steve C #36009 04/24/14 08:11 AM
What a great family trip that must've been with kayaks on 1000 Island, Steve. Someday the kids will fully appreciate the uniqueness of that.

Based on the following trip summary, I think you'll be fine taking the PCT high trail or the Shadow Lake Trail early this year. I would stay out of the River trail due to water and bugs. This would be much better as an ultralight backpack trip. It will be a very long day hike returning in the dark most likely.

Last Memorial Weekend I caught the 7am first bus of the season down to Agnew Meadows to fill in a short section of JMT from Shadow Lake to Red's Meadow. The north slopes around Shadow Lake and Rosalie Lake had snow. Traversing switchbacks on steep snow was dicey in a few spots, but I was able to kick-step straight up safer and quicker. The rest of the trail was patchy snow in shady areas and dry anywhere the sun hit. I had a closed campground all to myself for the night at Red's Meadow, but I digress, you're not headed that way.

If you have time, do a day hike to Rainbow Falls and Devil's Postpile. Best rainbows are in the afternoon.

This is best shot of snow conditions I have from that trip, taken at Rosalie Lake. North slopes had complete snow cover, but not very deep.

Link Copied to Clipboard