Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Plan B hike recommendations
#36281 05/06/14 07:56 AM
OP Offline
Our group is hiking the Main Trail in early August, which I understand is the time of year when afternoon thunderstorms can roll into the area.

Since half of our group will be arriving from Knoxville, TN, I want to make sure we have an alternate hike as Plan B in case the weather forecasters are predicting thunderstorms at the summit. While I have no problem with hiking in the rain (plenty of that experience in the Smoky Mountains), some of us are too old to dodge lightning bolts.

My first thought is to climb Mt Langley, but I suspect that whatever thunderstorms are predicted for Whitney are also predicted for Langley.

While I realize that no area is completely safe during a thunderstorm, my guess is that the danger posed by lightning is less when the elevation is lower.

So, with that in mind, I'm asking you Whitney gurus for recommendations on an alternate hike. We would like to hike about 5 to 8 miles to a good water source, for a two-day trip of around 16 miles.

Since the decision to scratch our Whitney hike won't be made until the morning of that hike, our Plan B hike needs to meet the following requirements:
1) originates in a location that is not too far from the Portal (we're going to be staying at the Portal campground for two nights prior to our hike to the summit),
2) allows overnight camping, and
3) won't require a permit (or won't require a permit that is difficult to obtain.)

I am thinking correctly about these thunderstorms, right? Our hike starts on August 1, which I am assuming is a date that is prone to these thunderstorms. But is my assumption incorrect?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and advice.

Dave Z in Tennessee
Re: Plan B hike recommendations
One More Hike #36283 05/06/14 08:25 AM
Have you looked at White Mountain Peak?

One More Hike #36284 05/06/14 08:56 AM
W
W
The easiest thing to do if weather is in the forecast is to leave earlier than you plan and be off the mountain before noon. this is no guarantee. I have been in storms early in the morning but this unusual.

The storms can be localized or a major length of the Sierra. No guarantees, again.

I have spent a month of days going to and from Mt. Whitney, mostly in August and September. During that time I have been rained on 5 minutes. It's called luck.

One More Hike #36285 05/06/14 09:14 AM
S
S
Dave Z, it sounds like you have overnight permits. Is that right?

wbtravis #36288 05/06/14 09:38 AM
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
It's called luck.

...and last year, my group had bad luck (combined with poor decision making in regards to campsite choice) crazy

August 17th, around 5 PM IIRC... one of those afternoon Whitney storms.

Last edited by 63ChevyII.com; 05/06/14 09:38 AM.
63ChevyII.com #36291 05/06/14 10:18 AM
S
S
> combined with poor decision making in regards to campsite choice

What was the "poor decision"? Looks like you were dry... or was the tent in a drainage path?

Steve C #36292 05/06/14 10:46 AM
Hey Onemorehike,

Welcome!

I would not rank Langley too far below Whitney in terms of effort, etc. Its a bit less net elevation gain, but roughly the same distance (or longer from New Army Pass) with the upper section before the summit a bit more challenging than the Big W.

White Mountain as Steve mentioned is a great option. Check out Mt Gould from Kearsarge Pass, or even just hike to the Pass itself which makes for a nice day. Boundary Peak is another good choice which is in the White Mts in nevada. The White Mountains are in the rain shadow of the Sierras, so should have a lower (not zero) chance of rain than the Sierras to the west if storms are moving over the Sierra Crest.

Steve C #36293 05/06/14 10:47 AM
I was dry, but half of my group was not. They headed back down to the portal around 7 pm.

One of the tents was in a drainage path. It was fine during the first storm. Before the rain started, there was barely any water coming off the waterfall. A funny thing was that a ranger came over to check out our tents right before it started to pour. He wanted to make sure none of us were setup in a drainage. We all thought the tents would be fine if it started raining again. The video is of the second storm that day. Another tent was not as waterproof as the owner thought it was. Once it got saturated, it started 'misting' inside the tent.

On a side note, if I stay in a hotel in Lone Pine, the Dow Villa will always get my money. We had reserved a hotel for the 18th. The 17th, half the group descended (see above) and spent the night at the Dow. We decided to drive home on the 18th since we had someone to drive that was well-rested. I went into the Dow to tell them we didn't need the room and asked if they needed anything to complete the transaction (I was assuming I couldn't cancel). The girl at the desk asked me what had happened and after she heard our story, she said 'Don't worry about it... I'll take are of it.'

Steve C #36294 05/06/14 11:24 AM
OP Offline
Steve:

Yes, we have an overnight permit for our Whitney hike.

Based upon the recommendations to far, I'm going to check out White Mountain as Plan B.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Z in Tennessee
One More Hike #36304 05/06/14 12:47 PM
S
S
Dave, the White Mountain trailhead is two hours drive from Lone Pine, includes 15 miles or so of gravel, and is completely dry -- you have to haul all water up in your vehicle. You would likely just want to camp at the gate by your car, or back at the last campground at the 8,000' elev. (Grandview).

Here's a link: Driving to White Mountain Peak for Whitney training hike

I would not bail on Mt Whitney unless lots of rain etc is predicted. Take tents and rain parkas, and go.

Steve C #36306 05/06/14 01:16 PM
Here is some more info:
http://www.summitpost.org/white-mountain-peak/150221

as well as a gps track I found & edited:
White Mtn Peak

Originally Posted By: Steve C

I would not bail on Mt Whitney unless lots of rain etc is predicted. Take tents and rain parkas, and go.

I agree...

If you were to cancel your Whitney hike and go to White Mtn Peak, you should check out the Ancient Bristlecone Forest as well.

Last edited by 63ChevyII.com; 05/06/14 01:16 PM.
One More Hike #36312 05/06/14 05:17 PM
H
H
I would follow the suggestion of SteveC & WBTravis about staying on the Whitney trail.

One, the typical Sierra summertime afternoon showers often occur in the afternoon. LOL. Really, though, while they can form earlier or later in the day, one can readily adjust their hiking time(s) to compensate for expected weather. If that means leaving at 2-3am, then so be it - that's what headlamps are for.

Two, if it's a monsoon situation, these storms can produce (lots of) rain during the day and/or night. However, since these tropical storms are passing through, it could be pouring the night you stay on the trail, but be clear(er) in the morning hours when you want to head out.

Either way, just being anywhere in the canyon is pretty spectacular - even if you don't make it to the top. So many people are focused on the summit, that few stop and consider the entire area. If you get a chance to look around, you'll wonder why the shear white cliffs aren't mentioned along with Yosemite valley & Zion.

Hobbes #36341 05/07/14 07:33 PM
I am with Steve et al on this. My Plan B is usually that Plan A works perfectly. If you are prepared and safe from lighting, there is nothing more glorious than a summer storm in the High Sierra. On my JMT hike last year, I hit 2 systems of typical duration: about 4 days each. The second one came in as I was approaching Bighorn Plateau, so required some strategizing to get over Trail Crest between storms. Best shot turned out to be 2 am start from Guitar, just after night rain stopped and before next day storm moved in. Aside from that a few early afternoon showers, late afternoon lighting displays and early evening rains provide a lot of entertainment, relief from heat and intervals to get camping and eating done.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #36343 05/07/14 07:55 PM
Piling on, I agree. Last year, Plan A was to sleep on the summit of Whitney to finish the High Sierra Trail. Then lightning storms hit as I was approaching Guitar Lake the day before the summit attempt so Plan B was a 3 a.m. start from Timberline lake to make sure I got up and over Trail Crest and/or to the summit before more lightning became a problem. The sunrise hike across the backside of Whitney turned out to be a huge highlight. Trip report and pictures here

Akichow #36355 05/08/14 09:28 AM
W
W
Hmmm...western approach, staying at Guitar Lake/Timberline Lake...ain't that Timberline Lake thingy illegal, why not just get up and summit at dawn?

If you do it once, you will do it again. Heck, to me it is the only way to summit Mt. Whitney. The sunrise and the shadow cast by Mt. Whitney on the western horizon is worth a few less hours of toss n' turning.

Last edited by wbtravis; 05/08/14 09:29 AM.
wbtravis #36364 05/08/14 07:11 PM
YOu are correct, staying at Timberline Lake is illegal. However, there are some legal spots just up the trail above/after the lake, through the willows, that I have made my home on the west approach. My shorthand was imprecise.

Akichow #36377 05/09/14 09:01 AM
W
W
NP, I like those no one but me campsites. There are some above the Tarns I have seen people camped but I've always passed them in the middle of the night.

Link Copied to Clipboard