Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
trail efficient power packs, storage, charging
#36410 05/11/14 10:28 AM
OP Offline
Can I get some advice on what would be the most efficient power packs, way to power, charge your electronics (iPhone, Garmin)on a multi day hike? Solar panels, storage, etc.
Thanks in advance.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Re: trail efficient power packs, storage, charging
quillansculpture #36414 05/11/14 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
Can I get some advice on what would be the most efficient power packs, way to power, charge your electronics (iPhone, Garmin)on a multi day hike? Solar panels, storage, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Quill,

I use an AnkerĀ® 2nd Gen Astro 6000mAh battery. It is good for several charges of an iPhone/Camera/what ever can be charged via USB (my camera accepts usb for charging). These can often be found discounted to ~ $30.00 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EF1OGOG/?_en...p;tag=astroa-20)

They also offer larger (more powerful) models priced accordingly. For me, the 6000mAh is plenty, and is really just a "back up" in case of unexpected events. I am never out for more than one long day so really have not needed it yet. Depending on how long you are out you may want to consider larger models, or solar panels in conjunction with a battery. Goal Zero offers several panels of different capacities. The Nomad 7 sells for $79.00 but weights nearly one pound, while the weight of the ANKER Astro 6000 mAh is less than 5 oz. You could carry multiple batteries for the same weight as the panel, but of course if you have sun light the panel will ultimately produce more power.

I guess the real question is how long you will stay out, and how much power will you need.

Hope this helps.

John

quillansculpture #36415 05/11/14 02:31 PM
O
obs Offline
O

Monoprice 9000 mAH charger

I've had good luck using this one, although it may have more charges in it than you need. It really works well and they have many models with less milliAmp hours. Pretty good for the price as well.

quillansculpture #36418 05/11/14 06:16 PM
BioLite:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78067?pro...=3091376_google

I am only half kidding. This thing is a few ounces away from being lighter than your stove, fuel and charger combined, but its on the right track. It was actually developed - I am not making this up folks - for the substantial areas of the world where people generally do not have kitchens or reliable power, but they do have and rely on cell phones. There are vast areas of Africa and south Asia where this is not only reality but makes economic sense. One development I would like to see is this tech combined with say a Jetboil, (or SVEA 123) so it can be used where fires are prohibited.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!

Link Copied to Clipboard