Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Kern River Loop 05-03 to 05/10.....unseccessful
Steve C #36524 05/16/14 07:05 AM
H
H
Steve, people troll the interwebs for fishing information, so references to those areas are usually coded. HST has a fishing forum section that you can't even access until you develop a reputable posting history.

Here's satirical take on someone who gained enough information to figure out access and went on to boast & brag about his "exploits":

http://captaintahoe.blogspot.com/

Anywho, I will send you a PM to explain the references.

I should be in the Crabtree/Wallace area 7/22-23. If you are coming up from Kern hot springs, are you planning on taking the trail up to Wallace creek to the PCT?

If so, Wallace lake itself is just another 3.4 miles upstream. There should be around 5-7 people at the basin Thurs/Fri (7/24/25). It would be cool to meet somewhere 'out there'.

Paul #36542 05/17/14 06:43 AM
H
H
Paul, I forgot to ask your opinion about when you think the best slack water conditions exist on the Kern. I would gather in a low snow like this year, it would probably be June, but in a normal year, August might be preferable.

The reason I ask is because the trip I'm thinking of would entail a little bushcraft. You might have noticed from some of the photos I've posted that I have an ultralight setup - actually, closer to super ultralight (SUL). Some of the equip is purchased, but a lot is homemade DIY gear.

My regular baseweight for a 3-4 day trip, including an exit over a high pass/peak like Whitney, is around 14lbs with food. Part of this weight includes a high loft down vest to complement my down quilt, a UL burner/pot, and some food for dinner.

For a Kern trip, I would only be above 10k for the last night, so I was thinking I could leave the 11oz vest behind. Also, because I would be below 10k for 3 nights, I could start a small fire (a regular snow year my also not have fire bans) to cook dinner each night, so that would allow me to drop the 7oz burner. Last, I would forgo taking dinner (ah, my Ramen each night!) in lieu of depending on catching enough fish to each night.

All told, I think I could get my total pack weight down to 10.5lbs for a 4 night hike. Now you know why I casually refer to 15-20 mile days. I'm actually just day hiking with periodic sleepovers in the great outdoors. LOL

So, the key would be able to fish the Kern in the right conditions. If it was still flowing @ high water, then my plans wouldn't pan out, and I'd be an unhappy, hungry camper. thanks

Hobbes #36551 05/17/14 03:39 PM
S
S
Hobbes, I am getting on toward geezerhood, and ultralight is the means necessary for me to succeed in trips. So I am very interested in your setup. I just purchased an Ursack "all white" and aluminum liner to lighten the bear safety setup.

There is an ultralight thread, maybe you could post there:

What is your sleeping setup -- mattress, quilt, etc. And how do you successfully keep covered using the quilt?

What do you use for rain protection: tent, parka, etc?

Steve C #36553 05/17/14 04:47 PM
H
H
Steve, I started to reply here, but decided to create a new thread under gear.

Hobbes #36564 05/18/14 09:22 AM
P
Paul Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Sorry for the delay, I am packing for a week long car camping trip to the Portal....I do this every year and do a lot of day hiking.

When I crossed the Kern Bridge, I thought the Kern River looked pretty good, water flow wise. But as I hiked the 17.5 miles up the Kern, It was amazing how many streams flow into the Kern, and by the time I reached Junction Meadow, the Kern River was mellow....(a technical term).

Right now, as the Kern flows you are correct. The Kern is on it's way down. Fishing should be excellent when you go. There are many meadows that border the Kern where the Kern flows slowly, or log jams that contain really nice pools behind them.

I was rethinking my opinion of the trail down into the Kern, I think after reading your comments, you'll do really well. Hey, I am 65 and bad knees......

I wouldn't be surprised that with an early start out of Horseshoe Meadows, you should make, barring a problem the Kern River the same day (about 20 miles, give or take).

As for fires, when I picked up my permit at the Inyo Visitor's Center, there were fire restrictions for this year and there was a lot of emphasis on no fires.

Consider an Esbit Stove and metal cup for coffee to save weight...

As always, watch the weather reports..... When I went May 4th, the weather report was for a dry cold front......it snowed at the bottom of the Kern. For the next several days, the temperature in the morning was below freezing and days were cold enough for a light jacket and long top underwear.... at 65 warmth is necessary.

paul

Paul #36590 05/19/14 09:21 AM
H
H
Thanks for the add'l info. I don't think I'll make it this year, since I have a couple of other trips planned:

- Kearsarge->Portal in 5 weeks
- 4th of July car camping/dayhikes - sort of like what you're doing
- late July HST get together @ Wallace lake
- Oregon coast car trip in August

It probably will turn out better this way, since if I go in Aug during a 'normal' snow year, the water flow will be perfect and there shouldn't be any fire restrictions.

As far as stove, I have the esbit Caldera cone listed over here: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/36555/Ultralight_Manifesto#Post36555

The idea of not taking a stove would be in the spirit of needing to catch fish & cook over a fire each night.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard