Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trip & Hike Planning, June 1-4 2014
#36704 05/22/14 02:34 PM
OP Offline
We were hoping to hike Mt. Whitney June 3-4 with just trekking poles and microspikes. Based on the recent trip reports and the storm that is happening right now, I have been thinking about some alternates to Mt. Whitney. Here are a few ideas, including the plan for Whitney itself.

June 1st
Arrive @ Mammoth Mountain Inn (elevation 9,000 ft), spend night
AM – hike option 1
Little Lakes Valley

AM- hike option 2
Devil’s Postpile
Rainbow Falls

PM
6 PM – Drive to Mono Lake, watch sunset
Spend night @ Mammoth

June 3
1 PM – Guys Dropped Off at Whitney Trail
PM – Family stays in Lone Pine
June 4

12-2 PM – Guys picked up @ trailhead
Family stays at Mammoth
Mount Dana Hike

PM
6 PM – Drive to Mono Lake (40 mins), watch sunset
Spend night @ Mammoth

June 3
4 PM – Guys drop off family in Bishop, drive to Barcroft Gate (or Grandview Campground)
PM – Family stays in Bishop, guys car camp @ Barcroft Gate (or Grandview Campground)

June 4
White Mountain Peak Hike
AM – hike option 1
Little Lakes Valley

AM- hike option 2
Devil’s Postpile
Rainbow Falls

PM
6 PM – Drive to Mono Lake, watch sunset
Spend night @ Mammoth

June 3
1 PM – Guys Dropped Off at Cottonwood Lakes trailhead, hike in 7-8 miles, setup camp for the night.
PM – Family stays in Lone Pine

June 4
Early AM - Mt. Langley summit attempt
12-2 PM – Guys picked up @ trailhead

1. Are LLV or Rainbow Falls appropriate acclimation hikes?
2. If hiking White Mtn Peak, would you camp at Grandview Campground or Barcroft Gate?
3. If you were hiking Langley via New Army Pass, where would you set up camp?
4. When nearing the summit of Langely, what route would you recommend? On the maps I've looked at, there's one that heads straight towards the peak and another that loops around to the east.

If there are any concerns with my plans or things I haven't considered, please let me know.

I've made a few call to ranger stations and have found out the following:
Devil's Postpile:
  • Devils Postpile National Monument and the Reds Meadow Road will be open Friday 5/23/14 at 3:00 PM.
  • The shuttle will be running for Saturday, Sunday and Monday for the holiday and will resume for the season on 6/14/2014. Until the 14th, you will be able to enter the monument by personal vehicle. Most of the monument is clear of snow at this time.

White Mtn Peak:
  • Called them last week and was told the road would *definitely* be clear/open by June 3. They were planning on sending someone up on May 16th to get an exact date. I left a message for them today to see what the status is.

Re: Trip & Hike Planning, June 1-4 2014
63ChevyII.com #36708 05/22/14 03:51 PM
S
S
I haven't been to Grandview, but camping @ Barcroft is doable, if not spartan. There are pit toilets but no water.

I camped at the Grove of the Patriarch cut-off last year during a mid-may summit of WMP. It was breezy and cold but the hills up there are gentle and it wasn't difficult to find a nice flat spot to car-camp. If I remember correctly Barcroft had a number of nice spots to drop a tarp and pitch a tent.

With a warm-up on Dana I'd think the 11-12K would allow you a decent night's sleep.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
63ChevyII.com #36710 05/22/14 04:00 PM
Hi 63,

I cannot help much with the camping issues. I "camp" at the Quality Inn in Mammoth, and the Comfort Inn in Lone Pine.

For your family, Mammoth Lakes will be far better than Lone Pine or Bishop. Mammoth Lakes has many options for restaurants, shopping, etc...
Also, many "easy" day hikes for them to enjoy (if they are of a mind). Crystal Lake is an easy 1/1.5 hour hike from the parking lot above at Lake George (30 minute drive from Mammoth Lakes). Not too much elevation gain, and easy trail to follow. Also gives access to Mammoth Crest if they are more adventuresome. See: http://www.yelp.com/biz/crystal-lake-mammoth-lakes for more details. Both of these hike would be good choices for acclimatization/warm up. A more aggressive warm up hike would be from the lodge to the top of Mammoth Mountain. There is a trail, or if more adventuresome you can simply hike up the ski runs (assumes no one is skiing down the runs).

The Devil's Postpile is OK, but you are in a valley, and while the geology is interesting not nearly as inspirational as the views from other hikes.

Another option in the Mammoth Lake/Mt. Dana area is Saddlebag Lake. See: http://www.summitpost.org/saddlebag-lake-loop-trail/645638 for more details. 6 miles, nearly flat hike. Might be good for the family? You could drop them, and head for Mt. Dana. Saddlebag Lake is ~ 30 minute drive from Hwy 120, so allow an extra hour for your drive to Parking for Mt. Dana. Saddlebag Lake also offers other more aggressive options. North Peak for instance. Bit of a scree slog, but good adventure. Trail is not well marked, so be prepared to find your way. Family does the loop, the guys go for North Peak. There is a store/restaurant on the Lake, and you and your family can save the 1.5 mile hike around the lake, and enjoy a boat ride across the lake for $7.00 each way, or $12.00 round trip. WARNING - Bring mosquito repellant.

If you do Mt. Dana, you should drive the 20 minutes to Lembert Dome, and climb to the top. See: http://www.summitpost.org/lembert-dome-s-south-slope/22416/c-158258 for more information. This link shows the route up the class 3 south face.

If you family has the car when/if you do Whitney or Langley they might like to drive to Death Valley. You can only look at "Nick-Nacks" for so long in Lone Pine. Not sure how far that would be, but might be interesting. Others can give more information on this option.

Enjoy!

John

Edit: I should have added that there is still lots of snow at Mammoth. See http://www.mammothmountain.com/MyMammoth/WebCams/ for web cam views. My guess is that Saddlebag Lake area also has lots of snow. Of course, you do still have 10 days, but unlikely that snow will be gone.

Last edited by John Sims; 05/22/14 06:28 PM.
John Sims #36712 05/22/14 07:50 PM
OP Offline
When I first starting looking at alternate hikes, I asked my father-in-law to prioritize these three items:

• a scenic hike (lakes, views of surrounding peaks)
  • a hike that allows us to summit a peak (regardless of elevation)
  • a hike that gets us up to a high elevation (13-14k feet)

He answered: summit, elevation, scenic.

I am wondering if I should plan on Mt. Dana being our summit, then dayhiking the MWMT with Trail Camp being our goal. He seems to be quite intimidated by Mt. Whitney and a hike to Trail Camp may help if we have a chance to hike to the summit later.

With a warm-up on Dana I'd think the 11-12K would allow you a decent night's sleep.

That's what I was wondering... whether we'd be ok sleeping at 12k after hitting Dana the day before.
It sounds like if we decide hike White Mtn, we may be sleeping at the Patriarch cut-off and hiking from there. The person that returned my call said that the road is not passable beyond that point right now and most likey will not be on June 3rd. When I spoke to someone at the Bishop Ranger Station on May 14th, they said I'd have no problems making it to the gate. I later found the number for the White Mountain Ranger Station.

John,
My preferred camping spot for Mt. Whitney is the Dow Villa laugh
Thanks for the suggestions (especially for the suggestions with options for my family), I will check them out.

John Sims #36716 05/22/14 09:43 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: John Sims
My guess is that Saddlebag Lake area also has lots of snow. Of course, you do still have 10 days, but unlikely that snow will be gone.

John,

I have been looking at the Saddlebag Lake hike and it looks interesting. I'm not opposed to doing it in the snow, assuming it can be done with micros and trekking poles.
Do you happen to know if there's any kind of gate or anything that would prevent us from stating our hike early?

63ChevyII.com #36719 05/22/14 10:54 PM
One issue with Saddlebag Lake is that it is a 5 mile loop if you take the boat across, but if the boat is not running, that adds a 2 mile trudge each way around the lake (9 miles total). The 2 miles around the lake can be kind of boring.

That whole area up on Tioga Pass is pretty cool though. Gardinsky Lake is a beautiful short jaunt. There's a short hike from the campground right off 120 (Junction Campground) to Bennettville (a tiny ghost town), and from Bennettville you can keep climbing pass several lakes and ultimately up to a ridge, where you get amazing views over the Hoover Wilderness of Mt. Conness.

Here are some pictures from mid May 2012 in that area (almost exactly two years ago today). That was also a "low snow year." I think there is currently more snow there than there was in 2012 though.

Looking back at Mt. Dana from the first lake above Bennetville.

Looking up toward Mt. Conness from the second lake.

The second lake.

Looking over the Hoover Wilderness toward Mt. Conness.

While I am at it, here's a shot of Barney Lake from the Twin Lakes area (near Bridgeport) from the same trip.

How can you lose?

63ChevyII.com #36723 05/23/14 09:26 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com

That's what I was wondering... whether we'd be ok sleeping at 12k after hitting Dana the day before.
It sounds like if we decide hike White Mtn, we may be sleeping at the Patriarch cut-off and hiking from there. The person that returned my call said that the road is not passable beyond that point right now and most likey will not be on June 3rd. When I spoke to someone at the Bishop Ranger Station on May 14th, they said I'd have no problems making it to the gate. I later found the number for the White Mountain Ranger Station.

Those were the same conditions I got from them last year. When they say "closed" they mean that they move two easel-style road signs to block the way. I got out, moved them, drove through, and closed them behind me before continuing on.

BTW, I drive an '05 Toyota Corolla on wrecked suspension and I made the drive just fine.

I drove out on day one, saw the visitor center @ Schulman Grove (which was awesome BTW), and I then drove out to the Patriarch cut-off and car camped for the night. I woke up @ sunrise and then drove as far as I could (I got within a mile of barcroft). The road was 99.9% dry, there were only two snow patches w/ tire ruts and my car wasn't high enough clearance, so I parked my car in the closest thing to a turn-out and began to hoof it.

It was about 5 minutes before a gentleman came driving along in his Silverado and offered to let me hitch the last bit to barcroft.

He was a fine fellow.

Though the Whites are incredibly different than the Sierra, I thought they were gorgeous. The views from the summit of WMP are killer, airplane views of Owen's Valley and Nevada. The colors of the steppes below Mount Barcroft are subtle, but magnificent. Especially in the rich morning light.

Also you haven't experienced grandeur until you've witnessed the galloping of marmot herds across McAfee Meadows below WMP proper. I kid you not, they were running around in groups of 5-6 chasing one another, never seen that on Whitney.

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics
63ChevyII.com #36724 05/23/14 09:51 AM
My guess is that Saddlebag Lake area also has lots of snow. Of course, you do still have 10 days, but unlikely that snow will be gone.

John,

I have been looking at the Saddlebag Lake hike and it looks interesting. I'm not opposed to doing it in the snow, assuming it can be done with micros and trekking poles.
Do you happen to know if there's any kind of gate or anything that would prevent us from stating our hike early?

There are no gates or barriers to entry (unless snow blocks the way (doubtful). The road is mostly gravel, and can be rough, but is passable with most any vehicle.

Following are a few pictures to peak your interest. Taken June 26th, 2013. As you can see there is still plenty of snow, but the loop hike was clear. Since the loop hike is well traveled, and mainly flat, I doubt you even need microspikes. You might want to take them with you, and there could be icy conditions in the morning, but later in the day should be no problems.

Greenstone Lake Panorama

Cascade & Steelhead lake basin. A bit difficult to see perspective due to width of panorama

Looking back at Saddlebag Lake from ridge above conness lakes

North Peak viewed from ridge

Mt Conness & Lakes viewed from ridge

Waterfalls below Conness Lakes

As has been said by others, really, you cannot go wrong.

Enjoy!

John Sims #36728 05/23/14 10:47 AM
Regarding White Mountain, I camped at Grandview last year before hiking it. It was pretty nice, good tent sites, moderate amount of trees, not many people, beautiful views. As I recall, it was about an hour drive from there to Barcroft Gate.

When we arrived at Barcroft Gate, I remember thinking "I'm really glad we didn't try to camp here." It's basically just an open plain, with no trees or anything, and nothing to block the high winds. It looked like a miserable place to camp.

Steve Chamberlin #36732 05/23/14 12:47 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Akichow
How can you lose?

No kidding! Great photos as always.

Following are a few pictures to peak your interest.

Thanks John!

Originally Posted By: Snacking Bear
BTW, I drive an '05 Toyota Corolla on wrecked suspension and I made the drive just fine.....

I will be driving an '02 Tahoe with 4WD and tire chains, so I imagine we'd make it just fine, just don't want to get myself in trouble or cause any damage to the area.

Originally Posted By: Snacking Bear
Also you haven't experienced grandeur until ...

lol!

Originally Posted By: Steve Chamberlin
...It looked like a miserable place to camp.

I've read that in other places. If it was windy, we'd probably end up sleeping in the back of the SUV, whether we were at the campground or the gate. My primary concern about staying at the gate is the elevation.

So, as of now, here are my thoughts:

If there's no chance of of summiting Whitney:
Day 1 - Mt. Dana, afternoon hike to Devil's Postpile w/ family
Day 2/3- White Mtn, Mt Langley or MWMT hike to Trail Camp

If Whitney summit is a possibility:
Day 1 - Saddlebag Lake, Gardinsky Lake, or LLV
Days 2/3 - overnight on Mt. Whitney

63ChevyII.com #36738 05/23/14 08:14 PM
Your plans sound great!

I slept at Barcroft Gate in a tent (while my friend chose to sleep in his Volvo station wagon). It is bare, but the sunrise and sunsets are beautiful in a very rugged way. We didn't have a lot of wind when I was there but it is a kind of saddle so I imagine the winds can be brutal. I took Diamox for the first time in my life at that trailhead because I couldn't sleep and realized that I was having sleep apnea (aka periodic breathing aka Cheyne Strokes) -- even having spent the previous night at 10,000', at Saddlebag Lake, as it happens!. But within an hour of taking the Diamox, I was sleeping like a baby.

One other peak hike for your consideration if you don't do Dana -- Mt. Hoffman, off the May Lake trailhead in Yosemite (maybe 30 minutes from Tioga Pass). Mt. Hoffman is only 10,845', and a 6 mile round trip hike (good half day). But the views! It is the GEOGRAPHIC CENTER of Yosemite and there is nothing near it to challenge it for views. So if you want killer views, it is a great option. You are looking down on, among other things, Half Dome and Cloud's Rest, and across the way to Dana, Conness, and all of the high country.

Oh yeah, and the kids can join you for the first mile, and then hang out at May Lake, at the base of Mt. Hoffman.

Here's a link: http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road/may-lake/may-lake.htm

I'll find some more pics....

Akichow #36739 05/23/14 08:22 PM
May Lake and Mt. Hoffman at sunrise. (Mt. Hoffman's summit is the longer bump at rear left.)

May Lake and the high country from just below the summit.

May Lake from the flanks of Mt. Hoffman.

Akichow #36742 05/23/14 08:51 PM
Looking at the great photography in this thread makes me want to put on the pack and hit the trail.

SierraNevada #36759 05/25/14 12:47 PM
OP Offline
so many options, so little time grin

Akichow - what's the mileage on the Gardinsky Lake/Bennettville hike?

Last edited by 63ChevyII.com; 05/25/14 02:00 PM.
63ChevyII.com #36763 05/25/14 10:19 PM
Two different hikes.

Gardisky is here. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/recarea/?recid=20662&actid=50. 1.2 miles up to the Lake. Then you can circumnavigate the lake, or lots of cross-country options -- summit of Tioga Peak beckons to your right, hills to your left. I haven't done the peak options, but I have circumnavigated the lake. Tioga Peak has always spoken to me though. Check out http://www.summitpost.org/tioga-peak/688704

Bennetville is less then a mile from Junction Camp. You can keep going up trail through the lakes for maybe another 2-3 miles? Then if more is wanted, lots of easy cross country options...can drop down into the basin and over to Conness...or circle around and back to Junction Camp....I usually just do the out and back because the lakes are pretty.

Here are two views from the view from the pass above Fantail Lake (one of the lakes on the trail past Bennetville). So looking Northwest across the Hall nature area toward Conness. On other trips, I've dropped down into the basin to explore.

Here's a view from the same area looking east toward Tioga Peak. Gardisky lake is off the left (north) shoulder of Tioga Peak (out of the picture frame).

Oh, here's a view of the White Mountain trailhead (switching gears) on one of their open houses (first Sunday in August).

Last edited by Akichow; 05/25/14 10:36 PM. Reason: Pictures!
Akichow #36765 05/26/14 07:26 AM
H
H
We've walked up the gravel road to Saddlebag before in June while it was still closed. We were hoping to knock a hole in the ice, but no luck:

However, the entire area, including some of the smaller lakes mentioned, is fishing heaven:

Hobbes #36771 05/26/14 12:01 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the pictures Hobbes and Akichow (and for the clarification too).

Akichow, I'm trying to guesstimate how much time we'll need for the asent of Mt. Dana. Have you hike Skyline Trail (Palms Springs) or Mt. Baldy via Bear Canyon? The the trail profiles are the closest thing I've done to Mt.Dana. If you haven't, how would you compare the ascent of Mt. Dana to the ascent of Mt. Whitney (ie, Dana takes 1/3 of the time, etc). I am reading 4-6 hours roundtrip for Mt. Dana, but it doens't help much when hiking times for other mountains aren't posted as a comparison.

63ChevyII.com #36772 05/26/14 01:11 PM
The 4-6 hour estimate sounds about right -- I am a slow (but steady) hiker and I think it took me 5 or 5.5 hours? I recall being slowed down by altitude that day. I was climbing with very little acclimatization and really felt it. You are probably quicker so figure nearer to 4 hours, assuming reasonable trail conditions? It is only 6.25 miles RT I think, most of which is on well defined use trail (summit pyramid is a little bit of a scramble).

I've only done Baldy from ski lift parking lot (this year) and that hut trail (last year). Dana is a much shorter hike, really apples and oranges. I've only done Whitney from the front side as a backpack. Dana is comparable in terms of vertical (but not mileage) to hiking to Trailside Meadow and back from the Portal. But shorter, steeper and far less switchbacking. It's a solid half day hike and it will give your calves a workout.

Akichow #36790 05/27/14 08:53 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Akichow
The 4-6 hour estimate sounds about right -- I am a slow (but steady) hiker and I think it took me 5 or 5.5 hours?

I'm not particularly fast myself (unlike my father-in-law). My two dayhikes of Mt. Whitney were 16 & 19 hrs. Altitude hits me hard.
I usually do the hike up Ski Hut Trail and down Devil's Backbone in 6-7 hrs.

So, as of now, here are my thoughts:

If there's no chance of of summiting Whitney:
Day 1 - Mt. Dana, afternoon hike to Devil's Postpile w/ family
Day 2/3- White Mtn, Mt Langley or MWMT hike to Trail Camp

Based on Bob Rockwell's last set of pictures, I think it's safe to say that this trip falls into the "no chance of of summiting Whitney" category. eek

I have a few questions about the other Day 2/3 options listed above

White Mountain
1. The prospect of starting the hike at the Partriarch Grove turnoff and adding 9 miles to the hike isn't all that appealing. If we were to move the signs and drive the road as far we safely could (as suggested above), are there any repercussions (fines, etc) I need to worry about?
2. If we park at the turnoff, we may try to hike to Barcroft Gate on Day 2, camp for the night, then try to make the summit for sunrise. Would you be worried about leaving a tent and overnight pack at Barcroft with all the marmots running around?
3. Is it ok to car camp anywhere along White Mountain Rd?

Mt. Langley
4. Is New Army Pass the route that will most likely allow us to summit (snow conditions)?
5. Is New Army pass the safest route?
6. What is the preferred route when nearing the summit of Langley?
7. Is there any cell coverage on Langley? Is it likely that we will be picked up at the trailhead, so it would be nice if we could call or text our family at some point.
8. If we hike Langley, my family will be hanging out in Lone Pine for the day. Is there anything to do with an adventuresome 2 year old?

63ChevyII.com #36791 05/27/14 11:15 AM
A
A
If you're acclimated, Dana is very easy, probably the easiest 13er you'll ever do.

Under the same snow conditions, I don't see any difference from New to Old Army. I only find New Army safer under dry conditions because the trail isn't washed out, but that's just my opinion.

The further Northeast you head on Langley, the more technical it will get. You should not encounter anything harder than Class 3 for a few short sections, if that. There is no preferred way up there. Even in the Summer, there are so many use trails...pick what feels best for you.

Depending on your provider, there may be cell coverage. I could not call but could text.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard