Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Critique my Sierra Hiking Trip!
#3852 04/28/10 10:23 AM
S
socks Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Fellas! I'm going to the Sierra region early July mainly to hike Mt. Whitney, but will also be doing a "warm-up" hike a few days prior at White Mountain. Now, this is my first hiking/camping trip in the region so any help at all is appreciated. We will be doing the Three SoCal Giants the prior few weeks as well. Here's a rough sketch of the itinerary along with some quick questions.

Day One:

Drive from Southern California to Bishop, CA (where a stop at the beef jerky store is a must) followed by a quick lunch while chugging water. From here, we'll be taking a slow drive through the Schulman Grove center to take pictures and whatnot, and slowly acclimate. Here is where my first question comes. We want to leave early dawn for the hike, and we were thinking about camping at the Barcroft gate to avoid driving the rough road in the dark, but part of me thinks we should camp at Schulman Grove if possible because of the 2000 foot less altitude. Anybody do something similar, and what worked? Also, I don't think getting camping permits at the Schulman Grove is a big challenge, right?

Day Two:
Waking up early, taking slow pace up to the top of White Mountain. Drive back down to Bishop to stay in Motel. Any recommendations?

Day Three:
From Bishop, drive down to Lone Pine to pick up permits. Thinking about hiking the Main Trail for a bit until the Permit zone to familiarize myself with the terrain I'll be hiking in the dark. I was also thinking, should we include an extra day between White Mountain and Whitney? I don't think an extra night at the Portal would hurt. Plus, the extra rest and not having to rush could make it worth it. Any ideas?

Day Four:
Whitney Day Hike. Staying in some sort of lodging in Lone Pine. Recommendations?

Thank you all! Extremely informative and fun forum here, great combination! Look forward to talking with you from here onward as well.

-Socks

Re: Critique my Sierra Hiking Trip!
socks #3853 04/28/10 12:16 PM
Socks, welcome to the Zone. Good group of folks here, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time. On your itinerary: it strikes me as a bit aggressive coming from low elevation. Do you or your group have experience between 12K and 14K feet and know your susceptibility to AMS at that altitude? If you're up at altitude regularly, I would suppose no problems. If not, the bear is waiting to jump on your back at about 12K'. Personally, I like a little more acclimation time. I'd also recommend camping at Horseshoe Meadow (10K') instead of staying in Lone Pine if at all possible. That 6500-foot difference in elevation while sleeping can be critical in how you perform on Whitney Day.

The only other thing I would mention is don't wear yourselves out on White. Compared to Whitney it's an easier hike to 14K', but it's still a long, high trail. Ramble around high, acclimate, but don't expend much effort in the two days prior to Whitney.

Best of luck and be sure to post a trip report!

Bulldog34 #3854 04/28/10 12:26 PM
Well, the "fellas" might give you different advice, but if you'd like one woman's POV.

I don't think there is actually camping allowed at Schulman Grove, nor at the other groves in the forest. Please see the Inyo NF page page for more information, but it looks like Grandview CG (8560ft) is as high as you're going to get. Frankly, coming from sea level it's a good option. Make sure to bring plenty of water, as the only facilities available are vault toilets.

Take your time wandering around the Pine groves. You, or others in your group, may decide to do this instead of walking the long road to White. They are spectacular trees, and, quite frankly, offer wonderful places for cozy naps high above the rest of the world.

If you do decide to walk up White, take your time and enjoy the views. The road is spectacular as it winds along the ridge. There are a lot of ups and downs, which give you a chance to feel your body work differently as you gain altitude. Because it isn't a particularly difficult walk (aside from the altitude factor), you might want to take a little backpacker's stove and make some hot soup or a treat on the summit.

No matter what, keep it relatively easy and get used to being high. Taking the extra day at the portal would be great, too, if it fits with your schedule. You might even consider a stroll up the Meysan Lake trail to see another drainage while you're there acclimating.

Have a great trip!

-L cool

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #3855 04/28/10 01:09 PM
S
S
I second Laura's advice on camping at Grandview. That will give you some acclimation before you drive on up to the Barcroft gate. Granted, it's an hour drive on to the gate, but I wouldn't drive strait to the 12,000 ft elev and camp -- someone in your party might have trouble the next day with the hike. ...but then, if you do one of those SoCal mountains the weekend before, that will get your acclimation started. So it might just work. You really don't know for sure until you've been to 14K, though.

Grandview is a first-come-first-serve campground, and can fill up in the summer, so that might be an issue. If full, you could just go for it and camp at the Barcroft gate, with the awareness that hiking to White Mtn might be give you some AMS symptoms.

Take lots of water -- there is none in the White mountains at all.

If you can spend a second night at Grandview, you'd be better acclimated for Whitney. But then if nobody has problems climbing White, then you're good -- head on down to Bishop.

I think the day between the White Mountain climb and the Whitney climb is the perfect amount of time to rest. Once you get your permits, you could even drive up to Horseshoe Meadows just to see the drive -- about 45 minutes each way from Lone Pine. The hike on the Main Trail up to Lone Pine Lake is a nice idea, but ONLY if you are not too wasted from the White Mtn hike.

There are a number of places to stay in Lone Pine. The Whitney Portal Hostel is least expensive ($20 per bed if you share a room with others). Also check the lodging link within the Orientation Notes.

Be sure to have a good time when you go. And post a trip report when you're done. We always like to read what worked for you.

Last edited by Steve C; 04/28/10 01:13 PM.
MooseTracks #3856 04/28/10 01:13 PM
I, for one, never critique anyone's plans N2 the Gr8 Yd Opn. Sounds like a good strategy to me! Oh, did I just critique? Never mind the Tude Dude!

When MooseTracks keyboardeth, listeneth! She's been there and done that many times I reckon...Must be nice to live on the Eastend of the Sierra dagnabbit! wink.

(Laura, I like the "get used to being high" part. Yo, dude, got any Grateful Dead to listen to while I crunch on my trail mix?

Yes, MooseTracks is correct. No camping at Schulman. You will probably have Grandview all to yourself. Don't forget firewood.

Heck, forget White! Take a stroll through the bristlecone pines at Schulman! Say hi to Methuselah!

Have fun!

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #3869 04/28/10 07:19 PM
I got your 'ludes right 'chere, dahlin... shocked wink

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #3871 04/28/10 07:44 PM
W
W
Day One...I've stayed at the clipped gate and at Grandview. Grandview is the way to go. You will sleep better there and you will have the ability to cook a nice meal. Think steak and lobster, asparagus, red wine, beer...that was our last trip up to White but we are old and decadent.

As mentioned previously, there are camping restrictions in Ancient Bristlecone Forest, which Schulman Grove is a part of.

Call White Mountain RS for the low down.

Day Two...The only recommendations I have for Bishop are dinner at Whiskey Creek and breakfast at Jack's.

Day Three...We always use Whitney Portal as our intermediate stop when heading north because there is nothing that I know better further north.

Day Four...I haven't stayed in Lone Pine for 10 years. For food, The Pizza Factory and Bonanza are consistently good.

MooseTracks #3872 04/28/10 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
I got your 'ludes right 'chere, dahlin... shocked wink

Whoa...my wife and I were marrieds on July 14...714...

Journey well...
wbtravis #3873 04/28/10 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
...the ability to cook a nice meal. Think steak and lobster, asparagus, red wine, beer...that was our last trip up to White but we are old and decadent...
Hey, invite us next time you go will ya! grin We'll bring some shrimp, tri-tip, russet potatoes, etc...

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #3875 04/28/10 08:10 PM
I'll bring the Moose Drool!

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #3877 04/28/10 11:28 PM
S
S
Oh my goodness! There really IS a "Moose Drool"! laugh

Steve C #3880 04/29/10 07:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Oh my goodness! There really IS a "Moose Drool"! laugh
And it goes down easy while brain freezing chilled!

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #3881 04/29/10 07:23 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
...the ability to cook a nice meal. Think steak and lobster, asparagus, red wine, beer...that was our last trip up to White but we are old and decadent...
Hey, invite us next time you go will ya! grin We'll bring some shrimp, tri-tip, russet potatoes, etc...

The more the merrier. I really helps to have a partner who dives and brings back the surf part of dinner.

This is usually a one time a year thing the rest of the time its just steak or chicken with all the trimmings. I'm not into death marching no 'mo.

Laura,

If the Moose Drool is better than Alaskan Amber, bring it. Now, if I can only my partner to move away from $2 Chuck...that's $3 Chuck for you over-taxed Oregonians.

Last edited by wbtravis; 04/29/10 07:26 AM.
+ @ti2d #3887 04/29/10 08:39 AM
C
C
Just curious, what year? My wife and I were married 14 July 1961 which of course is Bastille Day in France.

CMC2 #3889 04/29/10 09:17 AM
2007..We just couldn't get married on 07-07-07 and weren't about, too!

On 07-13-07 (no triskaidekaphobic or paraskavedekatriaphobic us), we almost didn't our license due to a minor technicality in the legal system. However, thanks to the staff at the Inyo Courthouse (names forgotten, deeds remembered), we got it.

Posi+ive @ti2d prevailed...

We were wed 07-14-07 by the Portal Falls by Kurt Wedberg of SMI in Bishop.

Picture perfect...hiked up to LP Lake...Beer, burger and fries at the WPS, dinner at Seasons...perfect day.

Journey well...

Link Copied to Clipboard