Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Six Day Ordeal in the Sierra
wbtravis #38794 07/18/14 03:28 PM
Bee Offline
Originally Posted By: wbtravis

I have been in a group where a dozen people did not have a useful first aid kit for stopping heavy bleeding.

My medic was indeed trained by the Navy.

I actually carry a large first aid kit in my car (required for work) and one of the least available item was what we used to call a "battle dress", ie, a thick absorbant badage used for punctures, et al. None of the commercially stocked kits had them. I bought several boxes of female sanitary napkins, decided on the best one, and stocked all of the kits with them (along with wide stretch gauze rolls for finishing out the 'battle dress' bandage)

It is common theory in military circles that most wounds will be deep puncture, so this is the wound to be most ready for. In reading hiking accident statistics, I find that a majority of notable accidents involve the same types of wounds, so this is what I pack for (after all, a large bandage can be downsized for smaller incidents, but not so much in the reverse)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #38800 07/18/14 06:52 PM
I took WFA a few months ago, and they only recommended use of a tourniquet as necessary to save a life at the possible cost of the limb.

The WFA class was consistent with this excerpt from the NOLS Wilderness Medicine Book.

Note that the excerpt acknowledges that the issue of tourniquet release in wilderness medicine is the subject of "ongoing arguments," meaning nothing is definitive.

By the way, this book is available for Kindle (and therefore readable on on iPhone). I just downloaded a copy of the NOLS book from Amazon for myself. Nice to have a Wilderness Medicine Guide at your finger tips in the wilderness.

Last edited by Akichow; 07/18/14 07:11 PM. Reason: Link to NOLS ebook
SoCalGirl #38812 07/19/14 08:47 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: SoCalGirl
In regards to tourniquets... I was always taught that after it's applied, if it's going to be there for awhile, that you're supposed to loosen it every 15 minutes to help with blood flow so that while it's helping to stop the major bleeding, complete circulation isn't cut off from the limb.

That is what I was taught originally but the doctor who taught the first aid course said it suppose to be left in place.

wbtravis #39070 07/27/14 05:21 PM
We were on Black Giant when half the world was looking for him. Choppers all around the mountain (below and above us), and rangers everywhere on the trails in the area converging on the search area, asking everyone if they saw something or saw his name in the summit register. Lots of resources were spent to locate the guy.

It is really rough terrain out there in the Ionian - going in alone without a PLB or sat phone seems a little crazy in this day and age.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard