Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Biking from Independence to Onion V in October?
#39413 08/04/14 07:39 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I know this is a pure hiker blog - but its in the same general vicinity and Bicycling mag compares this (Sep 2014 p.27) to that of Mont Ventoux, France (part of Tour de France I guess). So wondering anyone did this? If so how difficult is it?
I have two biking goals in Sep/ Oct time frame: one the Angeles Crest hwy all the way to Mt. Wilson (My LA nephew did it and says its not that difficult) and two Independence to OV. Plus fall is a fantastic time to achieve biking goals. I am planning my training to start from this week and look for helpful or otherwise suggestions from folks who are familiar with these locations.
Thanks!

Re: Biking from Independence to Onion V in October?
Krishna #39416 08/04/14 09:33 AM
S
S
Bishop to Onion Valley would include the 40-mile section south on the 395, then 13 miles climbing over 5000 vertical feet to Onion Valley.

It would take some conditioning and training, but you can probably do it. When I was at Whitney Portal, a guy on a bike rode up. I asked him and he said he had ridden up from Lone Pine. The climb to Onion Valley ends a little higher than Whitney Portal.

Good luck!

Krishna #39432 08/05/14 12:05 AM
N
N
When we were camping at Onion Valley last month, a cyclist rode through the campground & stopped to chat with us a little bit (he had some questions about the campground & the hiking available). He had ridden up from Independence. It was fairly early in the day (before 8am), so I imagine it didn't take him all that long to get up there.

NoUglyOneYet #39513 08/07/14 05:26 PM
J
J
The last time I rode it was last Sept. and it took between 2 to 3 hours. It's a bit of a grind with 5000+ vertical but Oct. is a good time because the temps are cooler in the lower parts. Bring some warmer gear for the upper descent. Also there are some wide cracks in the road in the lower section so watch your speed coming down that area. Not much traffic that time of year.
Have a great ride and for an even bigger challenge try the Horseshoe Mdws road.

John E #39548 08/09/14 09:03 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Steve, NU, John:
Thanks for the suggestions! One week into the training - my whole body - hips, knees - is sore!!! My trainer is making me do: 4 days weight training (2 days upper and 2 days lower, ending with 20 mins yoga each day), one day biking (about 36 miles round trip in the undulating flat lands of northern Illinois) and one day hiking (5 or 10 miles). Today is my rest day.
I did drive both on the OV and Horse shoe meadow roads in the past. Biking up HSM road !!! That would be 10000 ft up into the clouds! May be for a challenge in the future. I don't mind biking up to 5000 ft. I am not ashamed to get off the bike and walk (that would be hiking, right smile if I run out of gas!
My nightmare biking would be going downhill - Some time back I did copper triangle in Rockies and coming down from Tennessee pass I found myself in the middle of a pace group, looked at the speed - it was around 30mph down hill! So slowly nervously backed out in those dizzy switch backs.
So I am rather glad my LA nephew is coming with me and I may avoid coming down hill altogether. I will just wait at the OV CG for him to drive up & pick me up as my whole focus at that point would be on my very expensive titanium dental implants smile

Last edited by Krishna; 08/09/14 09:11 AM. Reason: grammer

Link Copied to Clipboard