Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mono SAR rescues ultra-marathoners.
wbtravis #39639 08/13/14 09:55 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
I am puzzled by the morphing of the title of this thread relating to ULTRA MARATHONERS to ULTRALIGHT MARATHONERS.

Personally, I have done medical work at many, many marathons, and I don't believe in those thousands upon thousands, I've ever seen a marathoner with a full pack.

I guess they are all unprepared. Of course, they compete in the Olympics, and we don't, so perhaps there is something to that.

Ultra Marathoners (100 miles, typically) is a different sport than hiking....so are simple marathons. I can't quite imagine what an Ultralight Marathoner would be----nude, I'd guess.

I'm not sure I'd be quick to criticize them for doing their sport that way it is usually done, because it is not done the way our sport is usually done.

Ken #39641 08/13/14 10:18 AM
H
H
L
Originally Posted By: Ken
I am puzzled by the morphing of the title of this thread relating to ULTRA MARATHONERS to ULTRALIGHT MARATHONERS.

Ken, you are quite right to remind us of some definitions. I think the discussion , though, boils down to location, location, location. The guy I saw might have been fine running the Boston marathon three times in a row with lots of available help if needed, but ankle busting trail at 14,000 ft carries more or at least different risks.

I just took an arch-exploring hike around Alabama Hills today with no water, no compass, no itinerary left behind. All I had was a nearly useless book full of GPS coordinates and I don't use a GPS, "just" a map. I could have slipped while scrambling and gone missing. Was I guilty of being unprepared? It all is a matter of degree.

Ken #39643 08/13/14 11:01 AM
W
W
I have some familiarity with the Angeles Crest 100 Km race. For those not familar, it a race in Angeles National Forest from Wrightwood to JPL in Pasdena along the PCT most of the way.

I have seen people practicing for the race, backpacked the crest when it was set up for the race and day hiked during the race itself. This is a lot different that two guys going out on their own. There is support stations every time the PCT crosses Angeles Crest Highway. The trail has surveyors tape marking the route along the course...which stays out there long after the race; and there are blocks set up so the racers do not end up on any of the many peaks along the way...confusing some who are hiking during the race.

An organize backcountry ultra marathon is a lot different than two guys going out unsupported. Since they are on their own and in the High Sierra, don'cha think they take a bit more than a supported runner in the Angeles, Ken?

Last edited by wbtravis; 08/13/14 11:02 AM.
Harvey Lankford #39644 08/13/14 11:30 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
L
Originally Posted By: Ken

Ken, you are quite right to remind us of some definitions. I think the discussion , though, boils down to location, location, location. The guy I saw might have been fine running the Boston marathon three times in a row with lots of available help if needed, but ankle busting trail at 14,000 ft carries more or at least different risks.

I just took an arch-exploring hike around Alabama Hills today with no water, no compass, no itinerary left behind. All I had was a nearly useless book full of GPS coordinates and I don't use a GPS, "just" a map. I could have slipped while scrambling and gone missing. Was I guilty of being unprepared? It all is a matter of degree.

Pretty much my take, Harvey. No surprise that we agree, again.

wbtravis #39645 08/13/14 11:34 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
WB, I am not a marathoner, and definitely not an ultramarathoner. so I don't particularly have any comment as to what their sport involves.

I just know that they are not ultralight hikers, and should not be confused as such.

I am reminded of BobR's wonderful story of competing with the racers to climb Whitney.....Ultralight hiker vs. trail racers. Very different form, very different outcome.

wbtravis #39649 08/13/14 06:29 PM
I was lucky to live in Wrightwood for a year back in the 90's. Best air I've ever smelled, like vanilla most all the time.

Ken, I think there's a difference between running a race vs training for a race. These guys were training in remote wilderness with no support team when they hit their SPOT SOS button.

It seems like it would be helpful to train with a couple extra pounds anyway. Have a survival system during training runs, and then go without it on race day when you have a support team. You feel a couple pounds lighter when it counts. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Ken #39665 08/14/14 09:12 AM
W
W
Ken,

There is a commonality in the UL hiking and backcountry running, the desire to go very light. This is ok for the ultra distance backcountry runners if they are supported. However, if they choose to go on these long runs without support, as these two did, they are obligated to take enough clothing and gear survive a night out in the conditions they expect to encounter, no different than any other hiker/runner in the wilderness. They did not and hit the free to them helicopter ride button putting others at risk.

wbtravis #39667 08/14/14 10:23 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
WB, agreed. but they are not ultralight backpackers/hikers, who, by definition ARE adequately prepared for most reasonable conditions.

Ken #39696 08/15/14 08:45 AM
W
W
No, they are not by definition. No more than a standard hiker is prepared. Chances that both groups backpackers are prepared and skilled enough are high...but not all. Every group is standard, light and ul have a Bell Curve distribution of great, good and substandard members. The latter category get most of the attention and bandwidth usage.

wbtravis #39703 08/15/14 11:15 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I agree, WB. All it takes is an accident to level the playing field between UL and non-UL, whether they are prepared or not.

Perhaps we need to define what "prepared" means in regard to mountain travel.

Bob West #39706 08/15/14 11:57 AM
S
S
Since this thread started because of ultra-runners being caught unprepared in cold and wet conditions: Simply carrying a garbage bag with holes cut for head and arms could well have prevented the hypothermia that stopped them.

Steve C #39741 08/17/14 09:59 AM
W
W
Steve,

A 33 gallon trash bag does not have a hood...the user would have to have a hat to retain some noggin heat. It is been than nothing but not by much.

I carry a few with me all the time give to me people caught betwix and between...since I do not count grams.

wbtravis #39783 08/18/14 11:51 AM
A
A
Here's how to make a poncho that covers both your head and your pack using a trash bag smile

trashbag survival tips

alison #39787 08/18/14 01:54 PM
H
H
Originally Posted By: alison
Here's how to make a poncho that covers both your head and your pack using a trash bag smile

trashbag survival tips

Works well until brushed up against a sharp limb, razor-sharp Whitebark pine bark, or a rock, or a swinging hiking pole tip.

May be okay for a limited "3 hour tour" or an emergency kit in the trunk of your car or daypack, but I would not trust it beyond that. Even 6 mil plastic can rip.

I am sure there will be testimonials about the durability, convenience,and lightness, but Murphy is everywhere.

The first order of business is survival - that means staying dry.

Harvey Lankford #39788 08/18/14 03:44 PM
A bright orange bag will give you a signalling function with no extra weight.

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
wagga #39791 08/18/14 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga

Just don't try it with a white bag.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
saltydog #39803 08/19/14 08:25 AM
W
W
Harvey,

Thanks for the picture. I only seen people use them with their head out. I never had the need to use one myself.

Steve C #39815 08/19/14 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Wow! I backpacked that route about 20 years ago, and spent 5 days hiking the distance! And they were long days of walking, too! Some days there were multiple 1000' passes to climb and descend. It's really remote back in there.

For a practice run of this magnitude, I think they should be able to carry more substantial survival gear than a trash bag. Yeah, it's better than nothing, but for 19 ounces of gear like I showed above, they could have a tarp shelter and an insulation layer under an actual waterproof breathable jacket. The 11 oz poncho-tarp Steve uses would be another great alternative to ride out a storm, but difficult to run with.

Ultra-marathon runners could learn a thing or two from ultralight or superultralight backpackers. Now if I could only learn to run that far... sick

saltydog #39816 08/19/14 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: saltydog
Originally Posted By: wagga

Just don't try it with a white bag.

Unless you're doing the AT

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard