The 2014 American Alpine Journal just came out and there is a lot about Whitney, the Whitney area, the Sierra, and Sierra local personalities.

In Recon: Unexplored & Overlooked is a major section The Whitney Massif. Classic Routes, Hot New Lines, and a Blank Canvas for the Future by Doug Robinson, Amy Ness, and Myles Moser. This was work of love. Thanks. There are also pictures by many photographers including Richard Piotrowski.

In Climbs and Expeditions: Lower 48: Sierra Nevada, there are short reports: more by Myles Moser, SP Parker (who led me up the MR in 2006), and also David Nettle, Urmas Franosch, Timothy Gibson, Daniel Jeffcoach, and Scott McCook & Kyle Sox 2008 previously unreported Evolution Crest traverse from Bishop Pass to Piute Pass.

All of this is incredible work on the mountain and on paper, but I laughed out loud at Myles description of the stop at the Whitney Portal Store for burgers and fries. 'Don't miss your personal opportunity to be heckled by the one and only 'Sandbag Senior,' Doug Thompson, a wealth of backcountry info.'

Sandbag Senior? Yes. I still have healing cuts on my legs from bushwhacking along Lone Pine Creek with Doug and Betsy 10 days ago looking for an elusive miners lettuce blooms. At least I got to see some of the original 1904 trail on the way back down.

Harvey