Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 52 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone going on September 12th (tomorrow)???
#40221 09/11/14 05:37 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Hi friends, I'm new here and am going to make my attempt tomorrow morning, Friday, Sept 12th 2014. I have read a ton of the posts in here and gotten a lot of great information. I just have a couple of questions after all that:
-What is the "general recommended" start time? Up and down Half Dome was about 10 hour round trip for me so I would guess 14-16 for the Whitney trip based on my pace and abilities? My plan as of now is to leave my hotel in Ridgecrest at midnight and that will put me at the trailhead about 1:30. 2am a fair start time or is that too early or too late?
-My main question is when are the most hikers likely to get started? My hiking partner bailed on me and unlike most of you, I'd prefer to hike in the company (or relative proximity) of others, especially at night.
-Anyone (or groups) here heading up tonight and if so, what time. Thanks a bunch!

Re: Anyone going on September 12th (tomorrow)???
Hiking Sailor #40225 09/11/14 09:02 PM
J
JoB Offline
J
I've hiked Whitney a few times usually starting between 2 - 3 am and there are always other people on the trail. You'll see their headlights above or below and know you're not alone. There is wonderful camaraderie on the trail. You'll likely chat with almost everyone and may end up hiking with others. I wish you the very best on your hike, I'm envious!

Re: Anyone going on September 12th (tomorrow)???
Hiking Sailor #40226 09/11/14 09:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Hiking Sailor
Hi friends, I'm new here and am going to make my attempt tomorrow morning, Friday, Sept 12th 2014. I have read a ton of the posts in here and gotten a lot of great information. I just have a couple of questions after all that:
-What is the "general recommended" start time? Up and down Half Dome was about 10 hour round trip for me so I would guess 14-16 for the Whitney trip based on my pace and abilities? My plan as of now is to leave my hotel in Ridgecrest at midnight and that will put me at the trailhead about 1:30. 2am a fair start time or is that too early or too late?
-My main question is when are the most hikers likely to get started? My hiking partner bailed on me and unlike most of you, I'd prefer to hike in the company (or relative proximity) of others, especially at night.
-Anyone (or groups) here heading up tonight and if so, what time. Thanks a bunch!

You may need to plan on a bit more time to get to trailhead, park, etc.... More likely you will be hiking at 2:30.
Sunrise: 6:32am
Sunset: 7:06pm
Normally light enough to hike without headlamp 30 minutes before/after sunset/sunrise, so ~ 14 hours of light. With your start time of 2:30 you will need headlamp for ~ 3.5 hours, but you should get down well before dark even with 16 hours on the trail.

I do not see any time to acclimate, so you should be alert to symptoms of AMS, and modify your plan as needed.

Good luck with your hike. You will find lots of company along the trail. Enjoy, and post a trip report.

Link Copied to Clipboard