Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Winter Day Hiking Advice
#40482 10/03/14 10:49 AM
S
Shane Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Folks -
I had a successful summit day hike in July. I am fascinated with making a winter attempt by taking the standard route to Trail Camp, and then taking the face north of the switchbacks to Trail Crest. Any advice from experienced winter day hikers would be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Shane

Re: Winter Day Hiking Advice
Shane #40485 10/03/14 03:14 PM
S
S
Shane, winter is quite a different ballgame. If it is a drought year like last year, it might be possible to zip up and back in a day if you have perfect weather. However, after any significant amount of snow, it becomes nearly impossible.

People will hike the Mountaineers Route in spring, but that is a mountaineering route, and guiding services take groups up that way regularly. It always involves an overnight.

The other issue is that last year, Inyo County put up a gate on the road down low, so it adds about 3 miles and 2k in elevation, just to get to the trail head.

Here are several threads to read:
    Whitney Main Trail in Winter?
    So, you want to climb the Mountaineer's Route in winter?

Steve C #40487 10/04/14 09:01 AM
S
Shane Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you, Steve, for your thoughtful reply and for the directing me to those informative threads. Sounds like some significant winter mountaineering instruction/experience in a tamer environment is in order prior to any sort of foray into the Whitney Zone in winter.
See you next July!
Shane

Shane #40498 10/05/14 10:09 AM
W
W
I have day hiked to Trail Camp many times in winter conditions. I have watched as people spend close to half hour trying to work out the block at the cables and the looked at the thigh deep trails towards Trail Crest.

I would not attempt it on the MMWT in full on winter conditions. Spring...yes. The snow has been consolidated and Trail Camp is more or less a walk up without having to haul snowshoes.

As for winter hiking, there are a few rules...

1. Do not end up on the 11 PM News or your local newspaper
2. Know how to navigate with a map, compass and/or gps
3. Do not be dependent on your cell phone for gps or mapping
4. Go out only with people whose decision making you trust
5. Take the tools necessary for your trip, do not worry about pack weight
6. Never go higher than you can safely descent
7. Have enough clothes with you to be able to spend the night at your highest planned elevation
8. Keep extra clothes and food in dry bags, dry = warm
9. Carry at least one headlight
10. Let family or friends know exactly where you are going...do not deviate from your planned itinerary.

Link Copied to Clipboard