Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who is hiking where this weekend?
#3982 05/04/10 08:29 AM
OP Offline
I noticed that last week, the action has picked up a bit. It's getting to be "hiking time", for the non-ice and snow people. Portal Store is stocking up for the season :-)

I've hiked the last few weekends, but only in the rolling hills of the Santa Ana Mountains. Trying to decide on either Santiago Peak or Wilson this weekend. I'll be going to Red Rock canyon near Vegas in a few weeks. I really want to do San Jacinto, but the ranger station says snow and ice through May. Maybe somebody who has been on it lately can give a few more details. With 80 degree temps in the flats, the snow and ice should be going bye-bye soon.

Who is hiking where this weekend? I think some ideas and pre-TR's may help some of us decide where we will be hiking in the coming weeks in preperation for Whitney. And don't forget the post TR's!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Re: Who is hiking where this weekend?
quillansculpture #3985 05/04/10 10:04 AM
W
W
The snow on the high peaks is going be there for a long time this year. There is a lot of it and the spring has been relatively cool.

I was on Baden-Powell 4/4/09 and 5/1/10, the difference was palpable. Whereas the summit ridge was melting and summit balding in '09, there was over 3' of solid snow on the summit and ridge was not close to exposing dirt. I hiked B-P on 5/23 last year...I know I will not in 2010.

Clearing by the end of May in 2010 on SoCal high peaks north slopes is a wish. Conditions are similar to 2005 and 2006 up high...everything depends on the melt.

quillansculpture #3987 05/04/10 11:24 AM
Friday - Shasta

Saturday - Hood

Sunday - Rainier

Then I wake up from my nice dream, strap on a backpack and trudge up the little 4K' mountains in this neck of the woods . . .

Bulldog34 #4022 05/05/10 11:02 AM
OP Offline
Bulldog...you are jonesing for a real hike!

As for me....it's Mt Wilson from Chantry Flats at about 7:30 A.M. on Saturday.

quillansculpture #4024 05/05/10 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture

Who is hiking where this weekend?

Oh, I dunno... somewhere in my backyard... wink

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #4026 05/05/10 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks

Phooey on you, MooseTracks! cry

Hey, your avatar ain't no avatar without the antlers! Whut up with dat? confused

As for me, the only "hiking" I will be doing this weekend is on the steep slopes of my yard weedwhacking the growth from all the rains this season to be in compliance with the fire laws to have all brush cleared 100 feet from the premises. One hundred feet don't seem much until you mark it off with a rope and plant flags as markers. Yikes! I got my work cut out for me with the gas-powered Stihl. I would do it the old-fashioned way with those manual whackers that "help improve your golf swing." Yeah, yeah, somebody's gotta do it.

Maybe I can plea bargain with Wifey-poo and suggest a hike somewhere out there in the Westend. Second thought, that ain't gonna happen. The yard work has to be done since the weekends of May 15 and 22 are planned events and have eliminated those "white spaces" on our calendars. We are hoping (keeping fingers crossed) that Tioga just might be open and we can head towards Moosey Town (Bishop)

At least I don't have to do the yard work on Sunday. Thank God for Mother's Day.

Anyhoo...I am done sobbing.

Wherever you may roam, be careful, enjoy and always...

Have fun.

Journey well...
MooseTracks #4030 05/05/10 02:02 PM

Helluva backyard Laura. Frankly, anywhere you go - from the Sierra to the Rockies - it's your backyard, and everyone better know it!

Bulldog34 #4031 05/05/10 04:26 PM
OP Offline
Yea, Laura already knows how I feel about her situation. Lemme see......Hundreds of thousands of acres of DWP land that will never ever be built on or developed. Though the DWP put a stranglehold on the Owens Valley a hunded years ago, I'd hate to see what it would be like if the DWP hadn't done that. Not a popular sentiment in Bishop, but I'd rather have unlimited access to anywhere you want to go for hiking, fishing, exploring, hunting, mountain biking, motorcycle riding, boating and so on.....then to become Bakersfield East. Before the DWP screwed over the Owens Valley, it was the second largest agricultural Valley not just in Cali, but in the entire USA. I'm not a DWP fan....and they are probably the most screwed up, disfunctional organization in California with that much power. But, at least their former employees know where to retire. Yea, that's right, Bishop, CA.
Here's to you Laura.

+ @ti2d #4035 05/05/10 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d

Phooey on you, MooseTracks! cry

Hey, your avatar ain't no avatar without the antlers! Whut up with dat? confused

As for me, the only "hiking" I will be doing this weekend is on the steep slopes of my yard weedwhacking the growth from all the rains this season to be in compliance with the fire laws to have all brush cleared 100 feet from the premises. One hundred feet don't seem much until you mark it off with a rope and plant flags as markers. Yikes! I got my work cut out for me with the gas-powered Stihl. I would do it the old-fashioned way with those manual whackers that "help improve your golf swing." Yeah, yeah, somebody's gotta do it.

Maybe I can plea bargain with Wifey-poo and suggest a hike somewhere out there in the Westend. Second thought, that ain't gonna happen. The yard work has to be done since the weekends of May 15 and 22 are planned events and have eliminated those "white spaces" on our calendars. We are hoping (keeping fingers crossed) that Tioga just might be open and we can head towards Moosey Town (Bishop)

At least I don't have to do the yard work on Sunday. Thank God for Mother's Day.

Anyhoo...I am done sobbing.

Wherever you may roam, be careful, enjoy and always...

Have fun.

Man doing yardwork... totally hot. wink grin whistle

For the record, someone mysteriously hacked into my profile and set both the picture and the "ESB" title underneath it... gee... wonder who... ummm...

I may have a better one from this weekend, we'll just have to wait and see...

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
Bulldog34 #4036 05/05/10 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

Helluva backyard Laura. Frankly, anywhere you go - from the Sierra to the Rockies - it's your backyard, and everyone better know it!

Hmmm... maybe this would be better:

"Where are you hiking this weekend?"

Up.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #4039 05/05/10 07:04 PM
Bee Offline

For the record, someone mysteriously hacked into my profile and set both the picture and the "ESB" title underneath it... gee... wonder who... ummm...

I like the picture -- It is cute!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Bee #4041 05/05/10 07:39 PM
Waiting DESPERATELY for Tioga to open, Mzz. Beeee. Gotta finally meet the Goat Pack! I do believe an overnight out of Bridgeport into the northern reaches of YNP is necessary... laugh

Except that, you know, when I'm in a group, I'm just a b@#$%... mad

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #4042 05/05/10 07:59 PM
Bee Offline
We LUUUUUV that part of Yosemite -- the SawToofs and all! We actually have a poll as to when Tioga is gonna open over on the Yose board.

quillansculpture #4043 05/05/10 08:00 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
I'm hiking locally with my Scouts this weekend. My Boy Scouts are taking my Cub Scout pack on an easy 4 miler that ends at a candy store. Then we leave them and get back on the trail to do at least 10 miles.

Putting together a hike for next week (I hope) with some people from work to go check out Goat Canyon Trestle. On work time of course.

Hope to get up to San J at the end of the month and we also want to check out Panamint City for a couple days sometime soon.

I think "the boy" is ready for a double Sierra Crossing this year. Since I still kinda like him, we would start in Kings Canyon, go to Onion Valley and then back. Makes it a little easier. Oh and we would take 2 days. He isn't THAT ready yet. smile

But, back to the original question - I'm hiking locally with Scouts......................DUG

Bee #4046 05/05/10 08:37 PM
You see, Mzzz. Beeeee, I have yet to explore ANY of that, and it's on the challenge in August. Must get up there and prepare!!

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #4047 05/05/10 08:44 PM
Bee Offline
Which peakie is on the challenge in that area???

Bee #4050 05/05/10 09:01 PM
Finger and Stanton. But I know I need the Matterhorn and a few others, too...

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #4053 05/05/10 10:06 PM
S
S

Maybe we should take a poll. We have this one:

Or this:  Of course everyone will want to know what the three fingers are for.

...Or another?

Steve C #4054 05/05/10 10:39 PM
Bee Offline
I like them both! However, the Antlers reflect the moniker.

Bee #4056 05/06/10 04:35 AM
I second Bee's choice. Antlers a must.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard