Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Taking "ONE YEAR OLD" on Whitney....SERIOUSLY?
#4062 05/06/10 08:46 AM
OP Offline
Okay, so I saw this on Craigslist. It's an ad from a woman who wants to take her "ONE YEAR OLD" hiking with her while she trains for Mt Whitney! My God, I hope she's not even thinking about taking him on Whitney. Am I being negative when I think we may want to contact SARS now?

"looking for a baby backpack so I can start training for my Mt. Whitney hike this summer. I have a one year old who I would love to take with me every weekend as I train so I can share the outdoors with him and show him how fun and adventurous life can be."

I'm thinking.....maybe Whitney should have a height restriction, like Disneyland.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
Re: Taking "ONE YEAR OLD" on Whitney....SERIOUSLY?
quillansculpture #4065 05/06/10 10:15 AM
S
S
It sounds more to me like she just wants to take baby with her on the training hikes. She'll really get into shape packing a 15-20 pounder around.

And most moms are pretty much in tune with the baby on their back. If Baby doesn't enjoy some of those training hikes, she'll probably come up with plan B and leave Baby home.

I agree that taking a baby to the altitude of Whitney would be unpleasant for the baby, and quite possibly dangerous.

Steve C #4066 05/06/10 10:40 AM
G
Woodsy Guy
Woodsy Guy
G
One of the Sequoia rangers and her husband had their < 1 year old in the Kern all last summer, but I don't think they went higher than 12,000 and mostly stayed below 11,400 or so. Everyone had a great summer though and the baby did great in all situations.

g.

Last edited by George; 05/06/10 10:41 AM.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.
George #4067 05/06/10 10:44 AM
There was some significant discussion of this some time ago, with the upshoot being the most dangerous portion being the infant is unable to convey what they are feeling (ie: AMS symptoms). I've heard of plenty of babies being brought up to altitude, including Jack and Betsy taking one of theirs over Cottonwood Pass when he was 10 months old (I think that's right).

Plenty of kids born into elevation in other parts of the world.

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
quillansculpture #4071 05/06/10 11:35 AM
Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
Okay, so I saw this on Craigslist. It's an ad from a woman who wants to take her "ONE YEAR OLD" hiking with her while she trains for Mt Whitney! My God, I hope she's not even thinking about taking him on Whitney. Am I being negative when I think we may want to contact SARS now?

"looking for a baby backpack so I can start training for my Mt. Whitney hike this summer. I have a one year old who I would love to take with me every weekend as I train so I can share the outdoors with him and show him how fun and adventurous life can be."

I'm thinking.....maybe Whitney should have a height restriction, like Disneyland.
Honestly, I don't remember much of my days as a 1-year-old...in a fog...brain cells from those days non-existent...so why would this woman take her 1 YO? To each their own, I reckon.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #4072 05/06/10 12:09 PM
S
S
There shouldn't be any problem taking a baby up to high altitude, as long as they make sure they spend the appropriate amount of time acclimating.

I've seen children get really sick if they are taken from near sea level up to between 9 and 10k in one day.

Link Copied to Clipboard