Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Golden Trout and Bighorn Sheep Sierra Nevada Expedition- Oct
#40758 10/24/14 05:02 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Golden Trout and Bighorn Sheep on a Sierra Nevada Back Country Expedition Solo - Oct. 2014 (Pics) !!!! grin I am back... I just Spent 3 Weeks Alone in the High Sierra Nevada Mountains at 11,000 feet to 13,000 feet for almost 80 Miles on a Sierra Nevada Crest Route starting south of Langley and Exiting south of Big Pine . Some parts were PCT, JMT, and then Vast Stretches of Rugged Cross Country that were supplemented with Rock Climbing 5th Class Pass's and Cliffs.

This was very interesting for me with a 3 week loaded Huge Pack that was filled with winter Gear and Just over 85 Pounds at the Start . Slow at first I made my way past many Mt. Langley Summit Baggers headed out out of the Backcountry as the Snow started to Fly for several days Lightly. 16 lakes I Visited and Probably released over 200 Golden Trout or so. I cooked up and ate 8 or so ....mmmmm boy were they a treat in the Cold windy Sierra Nevada Mountains!!!! I was very close to some Bighorn Sheep for 4 days as they have gotten used to my Back and Presence, as I am by them every Year now for over Forty Years Straight.

A MSR Dragon Fly and fuel were my choice for Solid reliable Stove able to boil water or Melt Large amounts of Snow into Water as needed ....as well as simmer Golden Trout to Perfection !!!! Gram Crackers or Maple and Brown sugar Instant Oatmeal, I Coated on the cleaned, filleted, trimmed, and Chunk ed Golden Trout , by using large freezer Bags to shake and bake them first before cooking in the Fry Pan for Dinner, Shore Line Lunches, or a Great Hot Breakfast!!!!

Cold Nights and Mornings were the Rule and Constant Wind this trip . I drank a lot of Gatorade to keep muscle cramps down and Endurance up. Hot Coffee in the Morning and Hot Coco at night. Advil and aspirin were daily dosages. ::) Small pieces of power bait, crickets, moths, and Kastmasters were the Main Presentations the golden trout hit thru out all the Lakes. The Creeks were stuffed with Smaller goldens as well. Golden Eagles, Coyote, Fox, Pikas, Marmots, Bald Eagles, Big Horn Sheep, Mule Deer, and Golden Trout were my Beautiful and Harmonious Neighbors!

Any way here are the Photos of the Trip assembled and Quite condensed ........So, Sit Back and Enjoy Pictures From Yet Another Expedition into One of the Finest Wilderness Areas on the Planet !!!! Shephards Pass was very Exciting Without giving away too much, but some should consider not entering the Alpine zone.....!!!! Yours Truly, gst
          ImageShack pictures

Moderator Note: Lots of pictures here. You can "shrink" them down (zoom out) (at least in Firefox and Internet Explorer) by holding down the Ctrl key and tapping the - (minus) key. To expand, use the + key.  Click on a picture to see it larger.

Re: Golden Trout and Bighorn Sheep Sierra Nevada Expedition- Oct
Sierra Angler #40768 10/25/14 02:00 AM
S
S
What a trip, gst! Heading out with 3 weeks' rations and 85 lbs has got to be a grind at first. I'm not sure I've ever seen a report with someone being out that long.

How big was the largest fish you caught?

I recognize the upper Crabtree lake from Crabtree pass. (Picture 40 with the SPOT unit.) Can you give a brief summary of your route -- or list the lakes in the order you visited them?

Steve C #40769 10/25/14 08:12 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Steve you are a rock of solid Intel here for Years and KEEP UP the Great Work !!!!! The longest I have been out Straight is 48 days without resupply in 1985 in the SN( trout, miners lettuce, etc., wild onions to spice up trout and such ) . I was younger and faster then. But I still get out and see the field for long tours.. Many fast and light Hikers out now days for a day or 2 with 30 pound packs or so .I visisted Cottonwood Lake #3, Sky blue, Mc Cadie lake, Tawny point lake, Crabtree lakes, Wallace ,South America basin ( several ) ,upper soldier, Several un named lakes , and the lake at the base of Tyndal . 21, 22,22 23. and 25 inchs for the Hombre of the trip. I had one on the took Line down to Backing 3 times and then as he was tiring, he turned and ran Right into a underwater rock cliff in the water below me and literally ran his head into the Wall and Knocked the tiny salmon egg hook out of his Mouth !!! He sat there stunned in the water for a couple seconds below me in water 5 feet under and as clear as a bell.... and then he slowly turned around and swam back into the Deep Blue depths that he came !!!! Hugh Golden ...maybe 8 or 9 pounds at least !!!! What a Sub !!! Any way there are good size guys in several lakes.... they are just VERY, VERY Smart !!!!! 2 Large Bald eagles were feeding at cottonwoods, sky blue,and Wrights Lakes.... South America had an Osprey . gst

Sierra Angler #40807 10/27/14 06:14 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Any way, Here are two of the Largest Goldens we Reeled in ....Mine at 25 inch s Long and my son Eric ( who is now in the Marines Expeditionary unit ) with his Largest Golden .. Right at 24 inch s Long on our Father and son Backcountry Adventure Oct 2013, which was a 19 Day trip we took together before his deployment. Enjoy !!!! grin gst

Last edited by Sierra Angler; 10/27/14 06:15 PM.
Sierra Angler #40812 10/27/14 09:07 PM
S
S
I've heard stories of fish that size out of a Whitney area lake from many years ago, but figured they had all been fished out by now, since nobody reports catching such big ones.

I guess they are still there!

Steve C #40919 11/09/14 07:43 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Between Fishing the Golden Trout (Our California State Fish )and getting within 20 to 40 feet of the Bighorn Sheep almost every year ......Is still ...to me ... AMAZING !!!! wink The Peaks and Walls were my thing for 30 years when I was younger and faster such as Mt.Morrison , Whitney east face(winter Solo a Couple Times), Russel, Bannard, Goddard, Williamson, El Cap, Half Dome , Watkins,Mendel,Split Mountain, Darwin, Black Giant,and on, and on....Mendel Ice chute -several Times( when there was Ice) etc. etc. Steve , You and Bob Pickering are still Going and Our Hero s !!!!! thanks from us All !!!! gst

Sierra Angler #41062 11/24/14 04:18 PM
S
S
Sierra Angler, you have a PM (Private Message). The blinking red flag at the top of the page shows up when you have one. Click it and it takes you to your PMs.

Steve C #41357 01/11/15 07:14 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Rodger That Steve ! Have a Happy New Year and an Awesome 2015 High Sierra Hiking Season - Big Daddy ! gst

Sierra Angler #45426 03/13/16 05:32 PM
S
S
I have wanted to take a trip like this for some time but have never had anyone to go with. It turns out that a friend of mine has also wanted to do a similar trip for sometime as as well, and we are starting to plan the trip now for September. I was curious about some of the spots you camped and caught fish and what bait you used to entice these beautiful fish? I hope to take my boy on this trip someday too, he is 4 years old at the moment but has already cast his fly-rod into the trinity. Is your son still in the Marine Corps? I only ask because I am also a Marine.

SoCalSTLHD #45466 03/17/16 09:11 AM
S
OP Offline
S
For Cotton wood lakes Goldens number 3 and 4 for artificial flys /lures . Sky Blue for better fish and you can use bait . Wallace lake is a long , long ways in and is a very Large lake stuffed with golden trout 12 to 18 inches. Eric is an Official Marine Sniper Now , and they are heading back over seas again soon . Semper Fi ! Cheers ! GST

Last edited by Sierra Angler; 03/17/16 09:17 AM.
Sierra Angler #45494 03/18/16 01:21 PM
S
S
Thanks for the information, and congrats to your son for all the hard work and dedication it takes to become a sniper. I was getting ready to go to Basic Recon Course when I first made it to the fleet and got pulled to go on a deployment and never made it back into the pipeline and life happened. That was ten years ago now... anyway I hope to have a good update for the blog after the trip. Semper Fi!

Sierra Angler #51781 08/21/17 10:47 PM
T
T
Where was the picture with you and your son at? That is gorgeous

Last edited by Tyrel Zauss; 08/21/17 10:48 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard