0 members (), 52 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PCTA Trying to Close OHV trails in the Piute Mountains
#40853 10/30/14 01:33 PM
OP Offline
I love working on the PCT and with PCTA folks but I can't support the changes they are trying to implement when the areas that will be primarily effected do not have a problem with OHV intrusion on the trail and also are hardly used by PCT hikers unless during thru-hike season. I believe in everyone's ability to get out doors and enjoy their hobbies and for some their ability to enjoy beautiful areas is already far too limited and as I hiker with thousands of miles of trails in pristine wilderness and of course the ability to just go cross country as we please it's just unfair to try and take even more from the OHV community.

One of the primary areas focused on with the PCTA is the Piute Mountains. This is a great area for OHV folks with lots of beautiful trails made for them through out the mountains there. If this mess with the PCTA goes through it will shut down almost all OHV use in the Piutes and considering that 90% of the recreational use up there is OHV will likely lead to the closer of the campgrounds as well when they simply are no longer used.

http://www.stewardsofthesequoia.org/ALERT-PCT-StopLandGrab.html

Written report

Re: PCTA Trying to Close OHV trails in the Piute Mountains
RoguePhotonic #40854 10/30/14 02:05 PM
S
S
RP: Welcome back to WZ! Did you get out on one of your epics this summer?

Where are the Piute Mountains in this issue? A map would sure help.

Up here, there are some mountain trails that were first used by mountain bikers, but now seem to be heavily used by motorcycles, and they sure like to rip up some of them. I wish there were a way to allow everyone to use the trails, but somehow stop the jerks from tearing everything up.

Re: PCTA Trying to Close OHV trails in the Piute Mountains
RoguePhotonic #40862 10/31/14 12:56 PM
OP Offline
Yep but I scaled it back this year to 86 days. I guess it's amazing that is a major scaled back hike to me.

The Piute mountains are SE of Lake Isabella. I worked up there a couple years ago and I remember thinking how nice it was that there were OHV trails running all through a forested place to get away to during the summer. It's like one of the last really nice places around that area for OHV people to use and now they want to spend millions of dollars to take it all away for no reason at all. Although many areas of the PCT suffer from bad OHV intrusion on the trail this area does not at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard